Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

self adjusting brakes.

just got home with our salem 27 rkss and had three hubs cool and one smoking hot, seem the self adjusting brakes have over adjusted,
this is not the first time this has happened, first time I cut out the self-adjuster and put a spring on the adjusting screw. that wheel has been fine now for over a year. thinking about replacing all four backing plates with non adjusting brakes and being done with this awful system. anyone besides me had problems with this. just wondering ?
rr retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #2

My 2016 Rockwood 8280WS has the self-adjusting brakes and they don't over-adjust. They don't hardly work at all. Practically no brakes! Anybody able to get these to work right?
Shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
My 2016 Rockwood 8280WS has the self-adjusting brakes and they don't over-adjust. They don't hardly work at all. Practically no brakes! Anybody able to get these to work right?
You have to back up and manually apply trailer brakes via your brake controller.

If they actually adjust it may take quite a few times to get them adjusted.

You may in fact have to manually adjust them the first time.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr retired View Post
just got home with our salem 27 rkss and had three hubs cool and one smoking hot, seem the self adjusting brakes have over adjusted,
this is not the first time this has happened, first time I cut out the selfadjuster and put a spring on the adjusting screw. that wheel has been fine now for over a year. thinking about replacing all four backing plates with non adjusting brakes and being done with this awful system. anyone besides me had problems with this. just wondering ?
They can't "over adjust"
Someone manually adjusted the one to tight.
The axles come from the manufacturer loose , so somebody along the line before you pick up your unit has to make that adjustment.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #5

ive seen these self-destruct having never been adjusted. dexter says these adjust everytime applied, forward and reverse. however installing them backwards will cause overadjustment.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

bingo

should have posted before now, but found the front axle had been installed backward. as you said that was probably the cause of the problem.
replaced all four brake plates with old fashioned one, went to ill. and back over 2000 miles and had no,I mean none,nada,problems, no self adjusting for me.,
rr retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #7

Removed all self adjust

Less than 30 miles and two hubs cool, one warm and fourth quite hot. Jacked each wheel and spun tires proving two right sides were dragging shoes on the drums. Left sides were OK.

Dealer recommended wheel and axle shop much closer to me than 16 mile freeway drag. Cool morning and on arrival, found both right sides hot after only 6 miles. Past experience with the shop resulted in jacking rig and found all four dragging. Decision made to remove the self adjusting hardware and replace adjustment wheel mech. with standard ones. Did not change back plates or shoes etc., simply removed the offending crud.

It is possible these wheels got wet as there was a heavy rain causing flooding of the dealer lot after the trailer came in. I observed rust on springs etc. that seemed a little early for 2016 brakes.

They were not installed backwards either as shop checked for that and mentioned it. I paid $200 for parts and labor and will now be able to adjust all four wheels while on the side of the road if needed. Shop told me the self adjusters did not allow easy backing off on the brakes as they were designed to only go one way.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes