RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #21

broken weld?

When I zoomed in on it, it looks to me like it was cold in the frame area of the weld. There is plenty of filler on the axle. The left part of the weld in the picture looks like about an inch of the filler hadn't even penetrated to the frame. All along the weld, at the frame, looks poor to me. The weld penetration into the axle looks ok, the best I can tell from a photograph.
I don't think this is the axle makers problem, but more whoever welded the axle to the frame. A poor weld like that will break out sooner or later on rough roads.
I took a trip from Illinois to Ohio, across I-70 this summer. West of Muncie, the interstate was so bad that it shook a wall panel loose.
The receptacle, thermostat, little USB port, and monitor panel were all hanging out by the wiring. This was cause by two things. First the rough road and second was the poorly designed installation. All of these devices were fastened in with screws into the paneling which is about 1/8 inch or less. The screws should have had a thicker piece of wood backing to screw into. it is just not right to run a 5/8 or 3/4 inch screw into 1/8 inch wood and then over tighten it too. This paneling is real easy to strip out the threads. I took some strips of 1 inch wood and used some gorilla glue on the back side of the paneling. Any glue will work, I just happened to have the gorilla glue, . After the glue is set, the screws tightend very nicely. I also set in another glue strip at the edge of the panel that had pulled loose. I had pulled this to Georgia prior to this, with no visible issues. The road wasn't as bad as the Indiana highway It was just a matter of time before they would have fell out on any highway. These two trips were the first time on the road since it was new. My Chinese tires are good so far, but several American things where a little shabby.. LOL..

As someone said, you may as well not depend on the warranty, just take it and have it fixed at most any established weld shop. Get used to fixing these things yourself.
K9dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #22
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Good Sam said it was a frame/structure issue, not an axle issue and they only cover the axle. So maybe if the weld ruins the rubber and the axle fails it gets covered? The RV shop said they only see the extended warranties really paying off when stuff like slide motors, compressors, Refrig, etc fail. At $200/yr, I will still probably keep the extended warranty. This is suppose to be fun owning an RV, I can't let these type of things make me mad, or I would never take the thing out ever again! It is what it is, and I hope the industry gets better. Any help from these companies at this point would be a bonus.
Sorry to hear they believe a broken weld on an axle tube is not an axle issue.

I wish you best of luck with your endeavor.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Any chance you could post a photo from 90ļ of where you took the photo in the original post. From the front or back.

I'd like to see on the opposite side of that crack but from an end view.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
jkoenig24

How would this be a Dexter Warranty issue? Does Dexter get the basic frames and weld on axles (which they then deliver to RV builders)?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
How would this be a Dexter Warranty issue? Does Dexter get the basic frames and weld on axles (which they then deliver to RV builders)?
If Dexter supplied axles with mounting brackets attached- welded on (which they did) and the mounting bracket welds broke it could be on them. Why not wait until the OP contacts Dexter and see what happens?
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #26

I have been a welder for over 40 years. I teach nuclear pipe welding.

That is just a poor weld for many reasons. I don't want to bore everyone with the details, but that's the reason that it cracked....low quality weld.

I don't feel as though the axle manufacturer/supplier is at fault unless they did the welding.

I would guess that they don't do the welding to the frame...

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #27

If you look at the weld all the heat went to the axle and very little weld on the frame. If there is no back weld you put all the stress on 2-3 inches of weld . It should be repaired right . Have your welder grove out the weld with a grinder and re-weld it. There is a lot of off shore steel being used I have had 3" X 4" X 3/8 just crack in have on a Highway Snow Plow. Remember you are dealing with a production welded frame and some times the welder might just hold the gun on the wrong angle . If you have warranty have them repair it plus go over the frame and axles . I am licenced welder and when I crawled under my own trailer I said Wow. Most shop the welders at not government certified . We would get a snow plow from a suppler and sent a day going over it. Good Luck with some TLC your trailer could be repair better than new.
Cotice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #28

Can't tell from your picture but on our 2016 WJ, the plate the axle is welded to in your picture, bolts onto the frame. At around 10k miles we had similar cracks on our axles and under the FR, extended 2 year Warranty, they replaced the axles. We went to an independent shop who stayed in contact with FR and us. Then we paid out of our pockets and FR reimbursed us. There was never any questions about loading, etc., FR warranty just took care of it. As I recall, it was around $500 for the labor and I actually picked up the axles from the FR Manufacturing plant, (FR reimbursed me for the drive). That was all so we could get back on the road more quickly. It was going to be over a week before Lippert could get the axles to the shop, by picking them up we got it the next day. I would think if you have any warranty left they would cover the costs of new axles. Good Luck!

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #29
Head Rambler

Not disparaging anybody, but there are a lot of posts that are assuming that the axle is welded to the frame, but that's not the case. It's welded to a bracket that's then bolted to the frame, so the problem is on the axle mfg..

Here's what it looks like.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
If Dexter supplied axles with mounting brackets attached- welded on (which they did) and the mounting bracket welds broke it could be on them. Why not wait until the OP contacts Dexter and see what happens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
I have been a welder for over 40 years. I teach nuclear pipe welding.

That is just a poor weld for many reasons. I don't want to bore everyone with the details, but that's the reason that it cracked....low quality weld.

I don't feel as though the axle manufacturer/supplier is at fault unless they did the welding.

I would guess that they don't do the welding to the frame...

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Can't tell from your picture but on our 2016 WJ, the plate the axle is welded to in your picture, bolts onto the frame. At around 10k miles we had similar cracks on our axles and under the FR, extended 2 year Warranty, they replaced the axles. We went to an independent shop who stayed in contact with FR and us. Then we paid out of our pockets and FR reimbursed us. There was never any questions about loading, etc., FR warranty just took care of it. As I recall, it was around $500 for the labor and I actually picked up the axles from the FR Manufacturing plant, (FR reimbursed me for the drive). That was all so we could get back on the road more quickly. It was going to be over a week before Lippert could get the axles to the shop, by picking them up we got it the next day. I would think if you have any warranty left they would cover the costs of new axles. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Not disparaging anybody, but there are a lot of posts that are assuming that the axle is welded to the frame, but that's not the case. It's welded to a bracket that's then bolted to the frame, so the problem is on the axle mfg..

BINGO!

Old 12-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #31

Had the exact same issue. 2014 Signature in 2016. Found the break when a tire wore out in 2,000 miles. We were on vacation so we had to use a local shop. I had them check all 4 and they were all cracked like this on the outside welds. No warranty. When we got home took it to a frame shop and they did alignment.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

This post has taught me exactly that! It is an axle manufacturer problem. I am going back to both the Extended Warranty company, FR and Dexter with more of the WTF approach now that all of you have educated me.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

The axles are delivered to FR EXACTLY like the photo indicates.

The cracks are an axle problem.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #34

Same thing happened on our 2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3006. Dexter took care of it and replaced both axles at no charge. I just had to go through an authorized dealer.
wingfield4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #35

If this was an Old School axle, just a hollow tube, I'd have it welded and not go through the brain damage one usually incurs while going through a warranty process. In fact I'd have it at my son's shop, climb under, and be done in less than an hour (most of that time for me getting back up after crawling under.

Since it's a torsion axle with rubber components I'd definitely NOT weld it. Go through the warranty process and if they deny, brace up and buy a replacement axle. They run ~$500 which is expensive but a failed axle down the road is still going to cost you a replacement charge and you run the risk of more damage than to just the axle.

Dexter more likely than not does alll the welding on the axle tube before it's assembled so they aren't burning up the rubber torsion rods. When welding, if you aren't getting the entire thickness of the tube hot, you aren't getting enough penetration and welds will be about as effective as if you'd laid down a bead of "Liquid Nails".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The axles are delivered to FR EXACTLY like the photo indicates.

The cracks are an axle problem.
Herk, does Dexter make the frame or is it a Lippert frame? If itís a Lippert frame, does Dexter deliver the axles to Lippert for installation before they ship the frame to FR, or does FR put the axles on the frame? Just curious.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Attached is a picture of what has happened to our front axle on BOTH sides. It has cracked away from the frame, but identically on both sides. The trailer is 3 years old, we haven't gone off road, just long trips to Yellowstone and Oregon. What would be possible causes? And would it be under the 5 year axle warranty? I have sent pics to FR, no response yet.

Possible Reasons:
Bad design and/or bad manufacturing.

File a complaint with NHTSA as this clearly is a safety issue. They will waant to trailer VIN.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in Mar 2021 in Perry, GA
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #38
Not a newbie

THANK YOU BAMA. Dexter makes the entire assembly and Lippert bolts it on to the frame. This is a Dexter issue. If you weld on the axle and ruin the torsion rubber you will not get any warranty. Call Dexter as they will probably replace the entire axle assembly. The Dexter welded mounting brackets should be part of the axle for warranty purposes.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #39

In looking at the picture again I'm guessing the instructions to the welder were to weld the axle to the bracket so he put most of the weld on the axle. Wonder how it would look if the instructions read "weld bracket to axle"

Just looking at the weld I'd say it was just waiting for a time and place to fail.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #40

bad weld, base metal should tear, probably robot weld either bad placement or needed to be wider weave
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, crack, frame