RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #61

I think what is most troubling is that 5th wheel and travel trailers arent regulated for safety especially by the ntsb.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #62
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1 View Post
...but is there a way to just replace the rubber torsion parts, if so why cant that be done before you would weld it....
Due to the manufacturing process it isn't practical to rebuild the torsion parts of those axles. Not only are the torsion bars pressed into the tube, but they're also bonded to it during the process. To rebuild one would require removing the rubber and cleaning it completely out of the tube and the repressing bars and spindle section into the tube, which requires a pretty specific machine. So it winds up being cheaper to buy new axles than to repair them.

You can Google "how torsion axles are assembled" if you want to see the process.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
I think what is most troubling is that 5th wheel and travel trailers arent regulated for safety especially by the ntsb.
That's because they really aren't designed to carry humans.

Only real safety regulation on all trailers is the requirement for brakes (at certain weight levels) and safety chains.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #64

Cracked Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
Attached is a picture of what has happened to our front axle on BOTH sides. It has cracked away from the frame, but identically on both sides. The trailer is 3 years old, we haven't gone off road, just long trips to Yellowstone and Oregon. What would be possible causes? And would it be under the 5 year axle warranty? I have sent pics to FR, no response yet.
Looks to me like a bad weld. Absolutely no penetration on the frame which brings to mind Ö. poor prep work on the assemblers part. I would not expect Dexter to accept responsibility. Considering the fault is so obvious, I would expect the dealer to have this repaired immediately at their expense and let them go after the numpty in charge of quality control at their supply end. Stand firm and work your way up the food chain at the dealership. This has nothing to do with warranty Ö it is a manufacturing issue. A very serious manufacturing issue. Want action? as a last resort, inform the dealer you will be making a formal written complaint to the State/Federal Consumer Product safety Commission.
Kiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's because they really aren't designed to carry humans.

Only real safety regulation on all trailers is the requirement for brakes (at certain weight levels) and safety chains.
I get it, but there should be some oversight. Between the castle rock tires and shotty welds its a safety issue that shouldnt go unaddressed
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #66
Head Rambler

For all you that say that the axle mfg. won't accept responsibility, please realize, they built that axle AND welded that bracket on it! If anybody is responsible, it's the axle mfg.

We haven't heard the final outcome, but I think the axle mfg. will replace the axle.
(Unless the OP having the axle welded on before the mfg. looked at it voided the warranty)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
For all you that say that the axle mfg. won't accept responsibility, please realize, they built that axle AND welded that bracket on it! If anybody is responsible, it's the axle mfg.

We haven't heard the final outcome, but I think the axle mfg. will replace the axle.
(Unless the OP having the axle welded on before the mfg. looked at it voided the warranty)

THAT may well be the case. That's why many who responded urged waiting for a response on a warranty claim.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #68

Quote:

If Dexter says they will replace the axle, great. I don't expect them to pay for the welding if they want to replace the axle. The welding is on the "bad" axle so it would just be thrown away with it. Not sure why that would void the warranty, especially since I needed to get back on the road and this is looking like a very long process. Still no word from anyone, could be the holidays.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #69
Head Rambler

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they will void the warranty because you welded on it, I'm just saying that they might say that because you had it welded on, they can't tell with certainty that their weld was the problem. The picture you posted here is pretty good, but if that's the only picture they see, it may not be enough to convince them.

Hopefully they'll look at it once the holidays are over and go ahead and replace the axle for you.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #70

Same thing happened to me last year.

2015 2703ws Flagstaff. I first contacted FR, they told me to contact Dexter. Dexter gave me the choice of new axles and they would pay labor to swap them out but I would have to pay to have the old brakes moved to new axles or send me new axles with brakes and I pay to swap the axles. I opted for axles with new brakes. The shop also beefed the new axles. Cost me about $1,000.
bohnker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #71

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they will void the warranty because you welded on it, I'm just saying that they might say that because you had it welded on, they can't tell with certainty that their weld was the problem. The picture you posted here is pretty good, but if that's the only picture they see, it may not be enough to convince them.

Hopefully they'll look at it once the holidays are over and go ahead and replace the axle for you.
Oh I see what you're saying. The shop has more pictures and they documented it as well. We'll see.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohnker View Post
2015 2703ws Flagstaff. I first contacted FR, they told me to contact Dexter. Dexter gave me the choice of new axles and they would pay labor to swap them out but I would have to pay to have the old brakes moved to new axles or send me new axles with brakes and I pay to swap the axles. I opted for axles with new brakes. The shop also beefed the new axles. Cost me about $1,000.
FR said they are contacting Dexter. I tried Dexter and got no response. I'll go back at everyone after the holidays.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #73
Newly Retired

It's not rocket science.
Have a good welding shop reweld it. Done. Probably $100. And off you go.
Beats pointing finders and being put on hold by people who wish you would go away.
I have built trailers from scratch, a different view, maybe.
Good luck.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #74

Of my 3 courses of action, Good Sam, Dexter, FR, I have my first "final" answer. After my appeal, Good Sam says because the repair was a weld and not a replacement part, it is not covered under their warranty. Waiting on FR and Dexter now.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #75

Quote:
Of my 3 courses of action, Good Sam, Dexter, FR, I have my first "final" answer. After my appeal, Good Sam says because the repair was a weld and not a replacement part, it is not covered under their warranty. Waiting on FR and Dexter now.
Expect more answers like this. "Unauthorized repairs" more often than not relieve manufacturers of any warranty responsibility. Going forward you MIGHT get lucky with FR or Dexter but who knows.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #76

I have had the same issue on one of my previous tt. We were stuck out west and I decided to have a truck repair shop weld it. I took plenty of pictures beforehand and made sure to not let dexter know that it had been welded. They then sent me two new axles. I would never let a manufacturer know that I had unauthorized repairs done! Never
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
I have had the same issue on one of my previous tt. We were stuck out west and I decided to have a truck repair shop weld it. I took plenty of pictures beforehand and made sure to not let dexter know that it had been welded. They then sent me two new axles. I would never let a manufacturer know that I had unauthorized repairs done! Never
Smart. If good pictures are available rarely does anyone want to go to the expense of returning what are essentially worthless items. Only exception might be items that need to be closely examined to see why they failed and may need to be re-designed. In the case of axles and bracket welds, doubt that's necessary or the first set they saw.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Smart. If good pictures are available rarely does anyone want to go to the expense of returning what are essentially worthless items. Only exception might be items that need to be closely examined to see why they failed and may need to be re-designed. In the case of axles and bracket welds, doubt that's necessary or the first set they saw.
Yep, smart, probably smarter than me this go around. But thanks to all of you on this thread and forum I am learning. This is my first TT and subsequent set of issues. At the very least I am learning valuable lessons for next time.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #79

Quote:
Yep, smart, probably smarter than me this go around. But thanks to all of you on this thread and forum I am learning. This is my first TT and subsequent set of issues. At the very least I am learning valuable lessons for next time.
I think I'm safe in saying we hope there is no "next time" for a problem like this for you.

Hopefully the exchange regarding your issue will help someone down the road when they have a warranty issue.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #80

Quote:
FR said they are contacting Dexter. I tried Dexter and got no response. I'll go back at everyone after the holidays.

Glenn Null is the gentleman at Dexter that I dealt with.

Glenn Null | Field Service Technician
Dexter - Corporate Headquarte
2900 Industrial Parkway East, Elkhart, Indiana 46516, USA gnull@dexteraxle.com | direct tel: (574-296-7204
fax: (574-295-8666| | main tel: (574-295-7888 Dexter Axle ~ Dexter Door ~ Ventline ~ UFP
bohnker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, crack, frame