Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Bamaman,

Those tires are pretty heavy duty and most require tire pressures over 100 PSI. On a travel trailer made without shocks, you are going to shake it to pieces in short order with double over range tires.

They may outlast several trailers.

Properly matched tires to (load range to camper weight) is more important than manufacturer. Once you have the correct load range tire for your rig; THEN you can talk about who makes it and where it was made.

Even if you could find one, putting a G range tire on a D range trailer for example, seems a total waste of money, IMO.

FYI, my Marathons are about to "age out" with more than 50% tread remaining and over 25,000 towing miles on them.

A new set of Marathons will be going on next season.
Finally, this makes sense to me. I'll be doing the same when I need to replace my TT tires. 100lbs of air pressure in 4 tires would bounce my little TT in front of my TV .

Thanks for a clean explanation.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #62
Where should we go next!

Quote:
OK, but still putting a new set of Marathons on when these are ready. I will, of course, report as soon as these explode with no warning.

Most tires fail due to road hazard and operator error (under inflated for load).
Not to hijack this thread,but I do tend to stay right at 60-62 MPH with my cruise control set. I make great time and usually end up getting passed up repeatedly by the same cars.

With that being said, I get passed up regularly by other TT owners absolutely flying.

While I believe I encountered a road hazard, I can't help but think with others (not all) it may be excessive speed.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #63
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offagain View Post
Not to hijack this thread,but I do tend to stay right at 60-62 MPH with my cruise control set. I make great time and usually end up getting passed up repeatedly by the same cars.

With that being said, I get passed up regularly by other TT owners absolutely flying.

While I believe I encountered a road hazard, I can't help but think with others (not all) it may be excessive speed.
Agree totally! Lump that in with "Operator Error."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #64

Quote:
OK, but still putting a new set of Marathons on when these are ready. I will, of course, report as soon as these explode with no warning.

Most tires fail due to road hazard and operator error (under inflated for load).
X2 Lou -

Bamaman, most tire failures come from poor inflation practices (which is why the TPMS is worth its weight in gold). I had posted a pict to the forums of "another china bomb blowout" over the July 4th weekend. The "rest of the story" on that blowout? The tech told me later he checked pressure in the other tire? ... 36PSI No wonder the tire failed!

I also agree with Lou (Herk) about overrating your tires. You start running down the road at 65-100PSI and you will beat your new 5er to death (part of the suspension calculus is a certain amount of give in the tires+suspension )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #65

Quote:

Quote:
Agree totally! Lump that in with "Operator Error."
X3! Coming home from a trip yesterday we were lumbering along, Bear Cave in tow, at a comfortable 60-ish MPH on a 4 lane blacktop. we were passed by 6 other RVers that were easily doing 75+ MPH

And not to hijack this thread...noticed a lot of low pressure tire bulging in those TT & 5ers that zipped past us
Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #66
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
...Marathons are one of the tires universally complained about.
Could be because they are the most popular and used tires in the US. I've used them for over 37 yrs on heavily overloaded trailers of all sorts and never had a flat. You can use whatever you want on your trailer, but to just bad mouth Marathons is totally uncalled for and probably unheeded by the majority. I will stick with my GY Marathon LR Ds for as long as I tow trailers.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #67
Citrus County, Fl.

I had the Goodyear Marathons on our 99 32' Terry for the first five years and never had an issue. No TPMS back then but I always checked the pressure before leaving and kept them at the max cold rating. Always checked each tire when we stopped and felt for differences in temperature and kept her under 65.

Trailer life had several bad articles about them at the time that I replaced them with Maxxis in year six. We put twice as many miles on them the next five years with no issues and replaced them at year 11 with another set of Maxxis for a trip from Fl. to Tx. Found we had a slow leak in the RR tire and had it repaired for the trip back, again no issues.

My new 832IKBS has the factory will pops on them so I purchased the TST TPMS just to be safe. First 1000 mile round trip the tires never got over 100 degrees in summer Georgia heat and the tire pressures never went over 60 except for an occasional down hill run.

I truly believe how you drive makes a big difference. Running over curbs, speed, etc. I witnessed an early 90's Coachmen pass me twice on I-75 running about 70. Last I saw he was picking tire and trailer debris out of the road when I passed him. I can imagine he did none of the above to be safe.

Just my 2 cents worth.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #68

I replaced my tires on my 2005 24 ft Sun Valley before I sold it. They were almost 10 years old. I never drove over 65 and had one flat a few months before I let it go. I would have felt bad selling it with old tires. I will admit I hit curbs and didn't always check tire pressure religiously. My new TT will get better maintenance since reading the forum. From now on 60mph and air pressure check every fill up.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Could be because they are the most popular and used tires in the US. I've used them for over 37 yrs on heavily overloaded trailers of all sorts and never had a flat. You can use whatever you want on your trailer, but to just bad mouth Marathons is totally uncalled for and probably unheeded by the majority. I will stick with my GY Marathon LR Ds for as long as I tow trailers.
Hey OC - I was chatting with Lou RE: Marathon and it turns out that Marathons are STILL made in the USA - you need to request D.O.T. Code MD for the made in USA ones.

Here's the killer...the darn tires are made in Gadsden, AL - all of 50 miles from our house

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Trailer life had several bad articles about them

My new 832IKBS has the factory will pops on them so I purchased the TST TPMS just to be safe. First 1000 mile round trip the tires never got over 100 degrees in summer Georgia heat and the tire pressures never went over 60 except for an occasional down hill run.

I truly believe how you drive makes a big difference. Running over curbs, speed, etc. I witnessed an early 90's Coachmen pass me twice on I-75 running about 70. Last I saw he was picking tire and trailer debris out of the road when I passed him. I can imagine he did none of the above to be safe.

Just my 2 cents worth.
GL1800Rider,

I wonder if there is any correlation between when GY started using a Chinese manufacturer for the marathons and the bad reviews in Trailer Life?

X100 on idiot RV drivers! I have seen some stuff that would make you cringe! The "best" one this weekend at the lake, was watching a guy yanking a 5er cut the turn into Lake Guntersville State Park at @25 MPH run both his 5er tires over decorative rocks lining the curb, and not even stop to inspect
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #70
Where should we go next!

If you go on Tire Rack and look up specs on these tires it shows China as country of origin.

I wonder how and who you could talk to in order to get ones made here.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
I wonder how and who you could talk to in order to get ones made here.
That guy probably doesn't want people knowing his name and number. He'd be worked to death. LOL

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

X100 on idiot RV drivers! I have seen some stuff that would make you cringe! The "best" one this weekend at the lake, was watching a guy yanking a 5er cut the turn into Lake Guntersville State Park at @25 MPH run both his 5er tires over decorative rocks lining the curb, and not even stop to inspect
A few weeks back, I was passed on the freeway by a truck and gynormous 5th wheel doing well over the limit in bumper to bumper traffic near a very busy interchange that had some construction going on. Guy was switching lanes, driving inches off the bumpers of the people in front of him, driving very very aggressive. I was without trailer and slowed to get away from this guy. Not sure what his hurry was but he put plenty of other innocent people in danger with his goofy driving.

Most people with campers drive great but there is always that one guy that needs to make record time and doesn't care who is in their way.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #73
Where should we go next!

Really ridiculous when you think about it. The difference between 60 and 70 mph on a 200 mile trip is 40 minutes.

Probably less than that when you factor in that you'll slow down for toll booths,traffic,on/off ramps etc... What did you really gain?

Almost no one will be able to sustain 70 mph with a TT for the entire length of the trip.

You'd be surprised when I come pulling in not long afterwards and I chugged along with the cruise set at 62mph.

Tags
tire, tires