Old 01-25-2019, 01:53 AM   #1

Spare Axle Bearings

We bought our first travel trailer after having owned 2 Class C RVs for the last 22 years. I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums learning about TTs in general and decided I want to carry spare axle bearings with me in case I encounter any issues.

The question is how do I know what bearings or parts I need to buy? And where?

I have a FR Rockwood Mini Lite 2502S and it has the Dexter Torsion Axles. I think they are rated for 3000 lbs each due to this picture I have posted below of a sticker that is on the axle. I will take a better picture tomorrow and update this thread.

We will be going on out first trip with the TT next week and I want to get these parts ASAP.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 AM   #2

I looked up the bearings for your axle and I found the Set4 and Set6 Timkens should be the ones you need.

They are on Amazon.

Set4 is L44649 bearing and 44610 race
Set6 is LM67048 bearing and 67010 for the race.

https://smile.amazon.com/Timken-SET6...timken+lm67048
https://smile.amazon.com/Timken-SET4...WW63ST95V94V87

This info was from etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/question-248070.html
Did not specify torsion vs regular so keep that in mind. Maybe pull outer bearing for a sanity check.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #3

Not a bad idea but how many "spare " parts can one carry ??? I have been pulling trailers for 40 years and own 6 trailers now.

I pull them around the mid Atlantic states and never have had an axle bearing go bad. I do recommend that you repack them ASAP as some have come new with a low amount of grease or so I have heard.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #4

I checked mine at 3000mi. and there was very little grease left on them, gave them a good packing and will jack up trailer and spin wheels occasionally just to get a feel. with just enough grease to keep them lubed they work great but when it dissipates from the heat it is all over. when cars and trucks had front wheel bearings that were grease-able they would last thousands of miles. not worried about mine for at least another 5000mi but will check yearly. stuff will break but preventive maintenance will take you far... safe travels
whitroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I looked up the bearings for your axle and I found the Set4 and Set6 Timkens should be the ones you need.

They are on Amazon.

Set4 is L44649 bearing and 44610 race
Set6 is LM67048 bearing and 67010 for the race.

https://smile.amazon.com/Timken-SET6...timken+lm67048
https://smile.amazon.com/Timken-SET4...WW63ST95V94V87

This info was from etrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/question-248070.html
Did not specify torsion vs regular so keep that in mind. Maybe pull outer bearing for a sanity check.
Thanks, I will order those today.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Not a bad idea but how many "spare " parts can one carry ??? I have been pulling trailers for 40 years and own 6 trailers now.

I pull them around the mid Atlantic states and never have had an axle bearing go bad. I do recommend that you repack them ASAP as some have come new with a low amount of grease or so I have heard.

I dont want to get caught in some small town or the side of the road in the middle of no where. The bearings are cheap and small and are about the only other thing other than tires that could break on the trailer and keep me from traveling. I supposed an axle could break but that doesn't happen to often, but bearings going bad do happen often.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Towing trailers since 1982. Never replaced a bearing or had reason too. Most issues are load and speed cause failure. I do grease and check for end play issues.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

X2. Exactly.

I used to carry all kinds of spare parts. Just a habit of growing up on a farm and towns being far apart around here.

I quit doing that in the last decade or so as I noticed I either never used them, or by the time I could use them, they were ruined. And usually when something like a bearing fails at highway speeds, you will need much more than just a bearing and seals

Not worth it unless it is something that just puts your mind at ease and you don't mind using up all that space from something that has such a small chance of ever being needed.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

I have a spare set of bearings. Same set I've had for 13 years. Annual clean and re-grease of the original bearings has always worked even on my boat trailers where the axles get submerged from time to time.

Preventive maintenance is the best practice. Trailer axle bearings have been known to be poorly greased at the axle factory and the trailer manufacturers don't check them. Recommend new trailers be checked soon after delivery.

Changing wheel bearings requires clean surroundings, not on the shoulder of the road. It's a PITA to get the seal out on the inner bearing without a seal puller. And... if the bearing failed it will probably took the spindle with it so you need one of those too.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I have a spare set of bearings. Same set I've had for 13 years. Annual clean and re-grease of the original bearings has always worked even on my boat trailers where the axles get submerged from time to time.

Preventive maintenance is the best practice. Trailer axle bearings have been known to be poorly greased at the axle factory and the trailer manufacturers don't check them. Recommend new trailers be checked soon after delivery.

Changing wheel bearings requires clean surroundings, not on the shoulder of the road. It's a PITA to get the seal out on the inner bearing without a seal puller. And... if the bearing failed it will probably took the spindle with it so you need one of those too.

-- Chuck
Bingo!

Properly check and repack your bearings and you'll carry around those spares the rest of your life.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #11

When we sailed offshore, we bought spares and immediately put them on and put the original parts in the spares bin. This way you know the spares are good and fit and that you've got the tools and knowledge to install them.

In addition to my Wolf Pup, I also have a trailer boat. There are horror stories about bearing failures on boat trailers so I carried all kinds of spares - but never needed them because I do annual maintenance. I don't carry spares anymore, but do visually check and repack my bearings annually.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #12

I think it's awesome that many of you have never had a bearing failure. But it does happen and it happens to those that re-pack once a season like I do. It's been over 30 years since I had one go, and it was on a trip, on a Saturday, it was 8PM and we limped into a full service gas station(remember those???). All auto parts stores were closed and the station mechanic was just walking out the door enroute to the local gin mill.

He saw us in the parking lot with the wheel off staring at the pits and pieces laying there while looking dejected. He had some used bearing off his race car...."let me grab them, maybe they will fit"......nope just a fraction too small for the spindle.

To this day I still don't know why my buddy brought a Dremel tool on a dive trip. We broke it out, stacked half a dozen wafer thin cutting wheels on the shaft and began the slow process of enlarging the inside dimension of the bearings. We took turns and the process took almost a whole pack of cutting wheels and an hour or grinding, but it worked.

When I asked the mechanic what we owed him, he said "naahhh, I've been helped out when broke down before, no charge". We flipped him $30 and he was off to the bar.

We were only held up 3 hours, but without that Mechanic, we would have waited until Monday because back then the auto parts stores were all closed on Sundays. So I always carry a spare belt for the truck and one set of bearings for the trailer I pull on any long trip. They don't take up much space, but man they are handy when one decides to shred. And when they do shred, count on it being dark thirty, miles away from a town, raining, or snowing.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #13

In 25 years of driving, I've never had a flat tire (famous last words).

I have had a bearing failure, twice, on a boat trailer when I was a kid going fishing with my dad. Not fun. Preventative maintenance is great. In his case, it was the grease he was using that wasn't up to spec and wasn't holding up after being submerged.

RV bearings are the same garbage that was put on them back in the 60s. The seals are poorly made, and many of us don't tow them often enough to keep things moving. A set of bearings takes up next to no space, costs nearly nothing in the grand scheme of things, and might allow you to limp off the road in the event something happens, or get you going again if your road side repair service doesn't have the right size.

I'll always have a spare tire, spare fuses for my vehicle, and a set of packed bearings with a grease gun and unopened tube of grease in my tool box.
nights camped 2019: 42. Miles towed: 4500.
2020: 30 1500
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #14

I think like that also.
I carry spare pulleys, belts, plugs and wires for my truck also.(old take offs). I have spare hub assembles and shocks in the garage also.
Never used any.
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #15

I still have the set of spare bearings I bought for my 1972 Prowler. They also fit my 1995 Terry so I kept them.

According to the "numbers" they also fit my 2018 Micro-Lite.

They'll probably rust away before I'll ever need them.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I still have the set of spare bearings I bought for my 1972 Prowler. They also fit my 1995 Terry so I kept them.

According to the "numbers" they also fit my 2018 Micro-Lite.

They'll probably rust away before I'll ever need them.
And that would be the absolute best thing that could happen. Because if you HAVE to have them it's probably going to be along side of a deserted road, at night, in the freezing rain!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
We saw someone having to do at least one wheel bearing on the side of the road when we got to our destination last summer (2300km trip one way for us). My wife promptly reminded me how much she appreciates that I get that stuff done in the driveway so that's not us on the side of the road. They were lucky enough to find a dirt pullout and they likely would have only driven a couple kms after leaving a campground. The summer trip the previous year we bought new tires before we left and saw a handful of blowouts along the way.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bearings