Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #1

Spare Tire Mount location Options

We just purchased our new 2022 Flagstaff Microlite 22TBS.
It came with the spare tire mounted on the rear bumper.
The trailer also came with a 2" hitch receiver mounted on the rear of the trailer.
I want to install a small cargo carrier using the 2" hitch, but all the cargo carriers I found will hit the spare tire where it is located.
I've considered having a custom cargo carrier manufactured which would allow us to carry just our generator on the carrier.
Another problem became apparent when I tried to attach our bike rack into the hitch receiver and it also hit the spare.
Does Forest River offer a spare tire mount from another model which will allow me to mount the spare tire under the trailer?
What about the aftermarket under the trailer spare tire mounts?
Are they any good?
Thanks in advance!
OldCarBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
I've considered having a custom cargo carrier manufactured which would allow us to carry just our generator on the carrier.
Do they tell you how much weight you can carry on that 2" hitch?
They do make 'hitch extenders' and you can find them on Amazon or possibly etrailer.com
Old 04-14-2022, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Do they tell you how much weight you can carry on that 2" hitch?
They do make 'hitch extenders' and you can find them on Amazon or possibly etrailer.com
The max hitch weight rating is 300 lbs.
My generator is 97 lbs.
I thought about hitch extenders, but that's a work around Bubba type of fix that I don't do.
That and it would extend the carrier or bike rack out another 8" minimum to clear the spare and add a little space between the carrier and the tire.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
My generator is 97 lbs.
I thought about hitch extenders, but that's a work around Bubba type of fix that I don't do.
That and it would extend the carrier or bike rack out another 8" minimum to clear the spare and add a little space between the carrier and the tire.
So………just imagine holding the weight of a bucket of water close to your chest.
Now……hold that bucket out at half an arm’s length. (about 8” out)

Imagine what’s going on with your hitch rating as you use an extender, combined with the killer bumpy roads along your travels.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Imagine what’s going on with your hitch rating as you use an extender, combined with the killer bumpy roads along your travels.
I agree, not a good fix.
That's why I'm looking to move the spare tire to under the chassis.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
The trailer also came with a 2" hitch receiver mounted on the rear of the trailer.
I want to install a small cargo carrier using the 2" hitch, but all the cargo carriers I found will hit the spare tire where it is located.
Another problem became apparent when I tried to attach our bike rack into the hitch receiver and it also hit the spare.
Does Forest River offer a spare tire mount from another model which will allow me to mount the spare tire under the trailer?
Are they any good?
Thanks in advance!

Go to your dealer and have them install an under mount carrier. Will run you about $800 installed but well worth it. It’s made by one of the suppliers, Lippert or one of them. Rig is not here or would give you the manufacturer. Best to you

John
jgump911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:59 PM   #7

Spare tire mount location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

I mounted underneath, close to axle, using 3/16” aluminum angle and etrailer tire winch with extender, or you can order mounting kits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DC49F6B-B942-46AC-83A9-DA5BED6022A2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	271540  
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #8

A possible solution would be to modify your spare tire bracket higher to enable the spare to be above your new hitch shelf. Others have move the spare to the front of their trailer or into the TV. Mounting the trailer spare in front of the TV might also be a consideration. Mounting underneath would be my first choice as others have suggested. I would be concerned about the stress on the hitch caused by the weight of the generator bouncing around in back but many others do it.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #9

I solved my spare tire problem by mounting it on Craig's List.

Now I just hope I never need it. At least it's 50 pounds that I don't need to haul up every mountain pass.

Of course I fully get the idea of a spare tire and would never for one moment suggest anyone takes my approach to things in life. In 47 years of driving though I had one flat on a rental in Australia in the late eighties and one flat on a rental in the UK about 10 years ago.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Are they any good?
Thanks in advance!
We have a 2020 Surveyor 267 RBBS. It came with an under frame spare tire mount. Ours was mounted in front. Half way between wheels and tongue.

I can get the manufacturer tomorrow if you need it.
As I recall it was not Lipper.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:56 PM   #11

My TT came with the tire mounted under the unit, near the axles.
When I inspected the tire, I found that the pressure of the mounting frame nearly destroyed the tire. The tire was crushed, with a big indent. As you might expect, I removed the carrier and now carry the spare tire in the bed of my TV.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #12

Spare Tire Mount location Options

Check out,,, “BAL28215” on Amazon.. around $172 for the hide a spare for travel trailers, under carriage mount

Edit: also BAL28217
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #13

Tire relocation

This is what I did. Look at picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220414-221019_Gallery.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	271543  
Fbuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #14

Spare

Look on Etrailer.com. They should have an under spare mount that mounts on pull-out pivot bar. The one I got a few years was about $300.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
I solved my spare tire problem by mounting it on Craig's List.

Now I just hope I never need it. At least it's 50 pounds that I don't need to haul up every mountain pass.

Of course I fully get the idea of a spare tire and would never for one moment suggest anyone takes my approach to things in life. In 47 years of driving though I had one flat on a rental in Australia in the late eighties and one flat on a rental in the UK about 10 years ago.
I carry a spare unmounted tire to replace the spare if I need to use it. That's happened. I'm glad I had the extra tire.

You can always find Joe's Garage somewhere back in the sticks with a self employed auto tech. They'll often have a tire machine but not necessarily the tire you need. In my experience, they're happy to help someone get back on the road.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
A possible solution would be to modify your spare tire bracket higher to enable the spare to be above your new hitch shelf. ...
Would the extra height not create extra leverage, increasing the risk of bumper damage?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #17
BMullins46

BAL makes a spare tire carrier that mounts under the trailer, and pulls out so you can more easily get to the spare. Many Thor products use this mount, so you can actually see it in use before you spend your money. I have seen them in several RV parts catalogues listed at a little over $100 US.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #18

This morning I pulled the plug and purchased a Lippert RV Spare Tire Carrier with Winch, Item # LC159041 from ETrailer.
This carrier will mount the spare tire up under the trailer and I won't have to worry about it.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
BAL makes a spare tire carrier that mounts under the trailer, and pulls out so you can more easily get to the spare. Many Thor products use this mount, so you can actually see it in use before you spend your money. I have seen them in several RV parts catalogues listed at a little over $100 US.
I looked at these carriers and they do look like a really good product.
The reviews are not so good though.
It seems the problem isn't that the carrier is bad, but they are shipped in bubble wrap only and by the time they are delivered the are damaged, some much more than others.
Thanks.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:40 PM   #20
D W

Quote:
My generator is 97 lbs.
The caveat here is that although the receiver is rated for 300 lbs, you have to consider the capacity of the bumper. It doesn't take much to break the welds on those 4" tube bumpers. Most folks invest in support bracket kits to support the bumper in order to use those receivers. They are bolted to the frame.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location, mount, tire