Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #1

"Spare" tire pressure

Last long trip, had to replace all 4 tires. The ONLY tires within 100 miles were Goodyear Marathons. Would not have been my 1st choice, but beggars can't be choosers. So will be living with them for awhile. They have a max pressure recommendation of 65 psi, and that's where I'll have them. My spare is a different tire. It has a recommended pressure of about 80 psi.

The question is, if I should need to use the spare, should I put it at 65 psi to match the Goodyears, or at the recommended 80 psi?

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #2

The tire pressure indicated on the side of the tire is the pressure that ensures it will carry the max load. ST tires should be at what ever is on the sidewall. It seems your spare is an e load rated tire.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

Do the Goodyear tires have enough weight carrying capacity? If your spare and previous tires were Load Range E, and the Goodyear tires are Load Range D, chances are the new tires are overloaded.

I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but I would check into this....

The same happens in the A-frame world. The required tire to carry the trailer gross weight is a Load Range D, but those are very difficult to find in a 13in size. Too many replace their 13in tires with Goodyear, which only come in Load Range C but are more commonly available. Then wonder why the overloaded tires blow out.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like you were ripped off when you bought "the only trailer tires" in 100 miles.

Typical hack shop tactic to unload overage stock they cant legally sell and will never get a complaint on.

I would check the manufacture dates as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #5

A d rated tire is max of 65 psi, I had d rated on my 5th wheel. The rating was 2530,per tire that is 10120, fifth wheel is only 8200 I belive. So the d rated should be good enough for a small TT. Now as for my spare it was also a e rated tire at 2830. Now if you change tires you need to make sure your rim will hold the psi of. E rated tire. And no do not under inflate a st tire you will build heat and it will blow run it at the 80 psi it is rated for if u use it as a spare.
duramaxlbz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire