Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Springs

I have a 2017 Puma Unleashed 5th wheel Toyhauler. Problematical.
After 40 years of owning RV's of different sizes and configurations, I learned a long time ago, that EVERYTHING is spec'd by the manufacture's engineers, to just barely make it. Barely. These springs are way underspec'ed.
I am carrying far less than I had in the trailer I traded in!
Yet, The springs on the right side (passenger/door side, depending on what you call it) have achieved a negative curve! Actually bending DOWNWARD instead of upward. I thought I might have a broken leaf (although I have NEVER once potholed it, or curbed it. Not once. And I have never once carried the quad in it, since we use it as a bedroom or living room, using lawn chairs. We are WAY below stated capacity.
I talked to Lippert, and they are going to replace the springs and shackles part for part. No upgrade, no increase in capacity. Looking at the springs lying on the ground at the dealer, they look smaller than for a Model T!
They sent the springs but did not sent the attachment hardware.
I'm pretty disgusted.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

Springs are just a piece of tempered/heat treated metal. It's not unusual to have a spring that isn't properly heat treated or had a slightly different composition of the metal so it didn't take the heat treatment the same as others. When this happens it just "sags" as you've described.

Spring shops all over the country often deal with these by heating in their ovens, "re-arching" and heat treating again for "temper".

I'd give the replacements a chance before automatically condemning them for their looks

In closing, it could also be possible that the shop that produced the springs mis-marked a few and the ones installed on your trailer, while bearing the proper part number, were for a lighter axle. Mistakes do happen even in the best of companies.

Hope the new ones work well for you.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

Check your weight. May be overloaded.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Quit messing around with the manufacturer hoping for an upgrade. Contact eTrailer.com or Michigan Truck Spring and get some American steel under that rig. You already know that the campers come out of the factory with the minimum capable China metal they can buy by the barge load. I just finished ripping out all the springs and suspension components from a 2019.5 large frame FR camper because I could see the flatness developing in the springs on the way home from the dealer. And if you have not done so yet, look closely at the tire capability also. Should we have to do this immediately after getting home with our purchase, of course not! But big business economics dictate that we look out for ourselves and the safety of our traveling family members. When you see how inexpensive these are you're going to ask "Why don't they just do this at the factory." Avoid the argument/aggravation and just grab your tools. It's very satisfying when the job is done and you're less likely to be one of those unfortunate individuals stranded on the side of the road with a broken spring.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

there are a chain of shops called Dent Spring Co, that will fix you up with everything you will need to do it yourself or let them do it... look for one of those shops

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote