Old 09-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Stabilizer Jack - Motor runs, doesn't turn the jack/drive screw...

I have an 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8311SS. The front stableizer jack motor works when you hit the button, but it doesn't turn the screw to pull down the stands. Any idea what the issue or parts needed might be?
CanadianKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Have you tired to manually lower the stabilizer if it doesn't move that means the jack screw (may not be proper term) is stripped from putting to much pressure on it and will need to be replaced.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Have you tired to manually lower the stabilizer if it doesn't move that means the jack screw (may not be proper term) is stripped from putting to much pressure on it and will need to be replaced.
Yup, I am able to manually bring it down with rod. It winds down without issue.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #4

What kind of stabilizer jacks are they ? I have BAL on my Rockwood and had an issue like you are describing.....The circled part on mine were made out of plastic and the square opening was no longer square but rounded causing the motor to run but the jacks unable to operate.

I ordered four new replacements and they are now made out of metal to prevent the 'D' square from rounding...It's an easy fix
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAL.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	239646  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
What kind of stabilizer jacks are they ? I have BAL on my Rockwood and had an issue like you are describing.....The circled part on mine were made out of plastic and the square opening was no longer square but rounded causing the motor to run but the jacks unable to operate.

I ordered four new replacements and they are now made out of metal to prevent the 'D' square from rounding...It's an easy fix
Attached Thumbnails
I'm gonna crawl under there and see if this is my issue...
Old 09-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #6

Look for a broken spring pin on the motor to rod coupling
wally007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with your jacking system but if the manual way works and the auto way does not there must be a coupling that somehow disconnects the gear from the shift so you can manually operate it otherwise IMHO you'd be fighting the motor so it could be that coming, could be disconnect or the motor isn't electrically engaging the shaft when turned on.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post

Attached Thumbnails

I had the exact same thing happen on my previous trailer. It happened on the way to FROG International. Tech replaced all of them with new type while there.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #9

You problem is most likely the pin. You probably broke it but it saved your motor, kinda like a cotter pin. It locks the motor to the shaft of the jack.
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally007 View Post
Look for a broken spring pin on the motor to rod coupling
Pin broken on shaft between motor and gear box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	239687  
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #11

Rolled shear pin designed to fail before the mechanism or motor are damaged.

It did it s job.

Replace it but check the entire mechanism to insure nothing is binding.

You can replace it with a bolt, but then you have no protection for the motor or mechanism.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Rolled shear pin designed to fail before the mechanism or motor are damaged.

It did it s job.

Replace it but check the entire mechanism to insure nothing is binding.

You can replace it with a bolt, but then you have no protection for the motor or mechanism.
Sort of like a shear pins on my snow blower, saves the motor. Went through a few over the years living in NE. Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Usually found a rock or something stuck one of the augers. In his case IMO it could be the slides need to be lubed or some obstruction unless it was just not put in correctly.
Our Cocker Spaniel "Shadow" (4 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #13

Since the manual mechanism works it is probably the rolled shear pin, doing its thing to protect your motor. The most likely cause is holding the switch a bit too long while extending the feet. If you "lift" the trailer at all with the support legs while stabilizing it you put shear load on that pin. Too much load and it will fail. Been there done that. Easy to replace. Ever since I added a handy supply of pins in my tool box I haven't needed one...cheap insurance. ;-)
GFD47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer