Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Always Learning

Stock truck tires- age and mileage?

I know that everyone lambasts RV manufacturers over their tire selection. Having my own issues, I know where I stand and what shoes my babe rides on.

That said, the truck was bought new in 2012 (Ram 3500/DRW). It has 33,000 miles and has likely 1/3-ish of those towing. I keep tire pressures at max per "a heavy load" on my door jamb.

Any idea when I need to start thinking about replacements?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Our 2004 Dodge dually came with LT235/80R17E Goodyear Wranglers on it. They had the standard five rib tread design. We were full timers and at least 40% of the miles were while towing our 38’ fiver. After 40,000 miles I noticed the tires would lose traction when starting on inclines and always on wet roads. So, even though the tread wear didn’t warrant tire replacement I replaced them.

The replacements were General AmeriTrac all season radials with a very similar - to the Wranglers - tread pattern. After about 40,000 miles under very similar use the Generals also started to break-out just as the Wranglers did. So I replaced them.

I decided to go with a more aggressive tread pattern and switched back to Goodyear and their Wrangler silent armor pro grade series with Kevlar. (I don’t think they make anymore of them in my size). I thought the tread pattern would be noisy but it’s not. I have well over 45,000 miles on them and have not yet experienced any break-out situations. We are not full timing anymore so the percentage of tow miles has been much less than the other two sets. But, I’m sure these will age out before they wear out.

Airdale

p.s. I air my tires as recommended in the truck's owner's manual.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

What's the date code on the tires? You will probably have to crawl under and look at the back of the tires since the date code is only required on one side of the tire.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mileage, tire, tires, truck