Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Professional Curmudgeon

Suspension upgrade options

I have been considering upgrading the suspension on my camper by installing the Equa-Flex Rubberized Suspension Enhancement. However, I watched the video on Lippert's website.
Equa-Flex - Suspension Enhancement
In this video they show a table that is supposed to illustrate how effective they are, however, when I paused the video and really looked at the table, it really doesn't say much of anything useful at all. If anything, my take away is that the Equa-Flex has little, if any, positive effect on the camper's ride.
So the next option is Lippert's shock absorber kit.
LCI Shock Absorbers - Suspension Enhancement
Installation is a bit more difficult since the Equa-Flex is bolt on and the shock absorbers would require welding with potential clearance issues. But, I do feel the shocks represent a more tried and true method of suspension enhancement.
I know several people on here have the Equa-Flex system and several others have shock absorbers. I wonder if anybody has both installed?
I'd like to hear real world appraisals of each of the systems and thoughts pro and con concerning using both systems at the same time.
Thanks.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Our current 5'ver has the rubberized suspension...previous campers did not...IMO, smoother bounce than non - rubberized units, it's not a huge difference but enough that I'm happy with it.
Never tried the trailer shock system to compare but sure they'll chime in on the topic

Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Our current 5'ver has the rubberized suspension...previous campers did not...IMO, smoother bounce than non - rubberized units, it's not a huge difference but enough that I'm happy with it.
Never tried the trailer shock system to compare but sure they'll chime in on the topic
Our 5er has the Alko rubber torsion axles and I put shocks on it and they REALLY make a big difference in the way the truck and trailer ride. Too bad they don't make a kit for them and you have to make your own.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I have been considering upgrading the suspension on my camper by installing the Equa-Flex Rubberized Suspension Enhancement. However, I watched the video on Lippert's website.
Equa-Flex - Suspension Enhancement
In this video they show a table that is supposed to illustrate how effective they are, however, when I paused the video and really looked at the table, it really doesn't say much of anything useful at all. If anything, my take away is that the Equa-Flex has little, if any, positive effect on the camper's ride.
So the next option is Lippert's shock absorber kit.
LCI Shock Absorbers - Suspension Enhancement
Installation is a bit more difficult since the Equa-Flex is bolt on and the shock absorbers would require welding with potential clearance issues. But, I do feel the shocks represent a more tried and true method of suspension enhancement.
I know several people on here have the Equa-Flex system and several others have shock absorbers. I wonder if anybody has both installed?
I'd like to hear real world appraisals of each of the systems and thoughts pro and con concerning using both systems at the same time.
Thanks.
I have the Equa-flex, but haven't pulled one that doesn't have it, so I can't help you with difference. As for the shock kit, I purchased 2 kits (1 for each axle), and they are bolt on. No welding, but I think you may have to drill some pilot holes.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I have the Equa-flex, but haven't pulled one that doesn't have it, so I can't help you with difference. As for the shock kit, I purchased 2 kits (1 for each axle), and they are bolt on. No welding, but I think you may have to drill some pilot holes.
Well, that's reassuring! I'm going to have to re-visit the shock absorber option. That looks like the most bang for the buck to me, at this point.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you purchase at a camping world store they will install for $39/axle. If I had one nearby it would be a no brainer.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you purchase at a camping world store they will install for $39/axle. If I had one nearby it would be a no brainer.
Don't have one anywhere near me. But bolt one is easy enough to handle. Welding isn't exactly my strong suite...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Dexter's are weld on, Lippert's are drilled and self tapping screws. Need to make sure you get the right one's and have clearance. either on the outside of the Ibeam or inside.

On my list to do, but not there yet.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Finally got a break in the weather and got the shocks put on this evening. Went fairly well. Installed the Lippert kits. Ended up raising the side of the camper with my forklift just enough to remove the wheels, it's cheating, but it worked great. Left it hitched to truck. Went much easier once I drilled out the the brackets to accept the bolts, they were extremely tight. The slide rack rack was in the way on one side, but was able to adjust the bracket and shock at such an angle that it didn't interfere. Took about 3 hours start to finish. If I could have gotten air out to my parking lot, it would have gone much faster.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Finally got a break in the weather and got the shocks put on this evening. Went fairly well. Installed the Lippert kits. Ended up raising the side of the camper with my forklift just enough to remove the wheels, it's cheating, but it worked great. Left it hitched to truck. Went much easier once I drilled out the the brackets to accept the bolts, they were extremely tight. The slide rack rack was in the way on one side, but was able to adjust the bracket and shock at such an angle that it didn't interfere. Took about 3 hours start to finish. If I could have gotten air out to my parking lot, it would have gone much faster.
Bet you will like the results. Sure made a big difference on mine.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #11

I just installed the Equa Flex Suspension kit to my Coachman 320 BHDS that is only 1 year old. I was surprised to find out that the originals were already worn thru the bushings into the cast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	61629  
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #12

So what would the cost of the equa-flex and shocks cost to buy? I can't seem to find that on their site.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
So what would the cost of the equa-flex and shocks cost to buy? I can't seem to find that on their site.
Depends on your model, mine has the spread axle so I needed these;
Amazon.com: Lippert Components 314336 Equa-Flex Suspension Upgrade Kit: Automotive
Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Swift2

AquaMan did the shocks mount on the inside or outside of the spring assy. Did you feel good about the self tapping screws do you think thru bolts and nylock nuts would be a better asst.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
AquaMan did the shocks mount on the inside or outside of the spring assy. Did you feel good about the self tapping screws do you think thru bolts and nylock nuts would be a better asst.

I mounted on the outside of the frame, as there was no possible way, for me, to mount on the inside. It is a tight fit though. The self tapping screws are more than enough to hold the brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
suspension, upgrade