Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

The Five Year Itch (New Tires)

I cross over the 5 year mark with my original factory tires (Castle Rock)

I have read many places to replace after 5 years regardless of condition due to potential dry rot or hidden internal deterioration.

I called a Trailer super store near me today that is really a cargo trailer store, not an RV store. They quoted me $90 per tire plus $25 mounting and disposal. So really $135/tire. No balancing. They said balancing is a waste on trailers, because they will dry rot before they wear from out of balance.

But they could not tell me the brand. They said they just order the size and whatever shows up shows up.

I'm not feeling good about that, so I'm going to order elsewhere.

My dilemma is do I bring the trailer to the place I bought it which I really don't like or do I just remove 2 tires at a time and bring them to my local auto mechanic which I do like?

I considered buying two of these devices, removing one tire from each side, getting them changed out, replace and then do the other two the next day.

Thoughts? Am I crazy? Is this dangerous?
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51YEArDybGL._AC_SL1160_.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	265621  
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2022 Ram 2500 On Order (fingers crossed)
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
D W

Whatever shows up, huh? I'd run away from that joint. As far as balancing goes, I always balance my tires. An out of balance tire is out of balance from the time it first hits the road and it remains out of balance. A lot of other factors to consider with an out of balance tire. My mindset is, I'm paying for the tires that I want and I'll care for them as I wish.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #3

I jacked up my TT and took all four tires in. I balance my tires no point abusing the TT with the constant hammering every tire revolution of an out of balance tire.

Using those ramps will overload the one axle, any idea by how much? In my case my 3500lb axle would need to support 5500lbs.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post

Using those ramps will overload the one axle, any idea by how much? In my case my 3500lb axle would need to support 5500lbs.
Great point. I did not think of that.
Thanks.
Ron
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 11-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

I'd look for a real tire shop and would buy the best ST tire for your application. I always balance trailer tires. Taking off one or two tires and taking them somewhere is a good idea. The lifting device is okay; I don't worry about temporarily overloading one tire.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

A serious tire store will take the tires off and on. They are set up to do it.

There is a shortage of some Goodyear trailer tires today!

Shop around.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
A serious tire store will take the tires off and on. They are set up to do it.

There is a shortage of some Goodyear trailer tires today!

Shop around.
My challenge with a "serious tire store" or my favorite mechanic is their parking lots / facilities are not really conducive to handle a travel trailer.

Thus my idea to just take the old tire/wheels to them to mount and balance new tires.

Ron
2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 11-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #8

When we needed tires we went to a commercial tire dealer. They were simply, professional. Same price you will pay. But, they do trailer tires daily.

Second set was at a service station. Emergency tow. But, a trailer repair place.

Keep shopping!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I have read many places to replace after 5 years regardless of condition due to potential dry rot or hidden internal deterioration.
This seems to be a myth based on my contacts with tire professionals. but since you mentioned Kill you Rocks, yeah, I'd replace.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #10

in texas we have Southern Tire .they do all vehicles . Texas dept.. of transportation uses them. 4- 15inch Dominator tires mt., bal, new stems . tax. $ 600.00. 10 ply. 80 psi. they beat out Discount tire.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post

I called a Trailer super store near me today that is really a cargo trailer store, not an RV store. They quoted me $90 per tire plus $25 mounting and disposal. So really $135/tire. No balancing. They said balancing is a waste on trailers, because they will dry rot before they wear from out of balance.

But they could not tell me the brand. They said they just order the size and whatever shows up shows up.

My dilemma is do I bring the trailer to the place I bought it which I really don't like or do I just remove 2 tires at a time and bring them to my local auto mechanic which I do like?

I considered buying two of these devices, removing one tire from each side, getting them changed out, replace and then do the other two the next day.

Ron

I just replaced all five tires on my TT. Got a great deal at Discount Tire. $ 534.00 total for GYE 14 inch tires.MFG date of tires were June 2021. CALL and speak to a rep. Do not do it "online" My rep gave me and additional $10.00 per tire off of listed price. AND, be sure to apply for the Veteran Discount if you have that exalted title. Delivered to my door in 2.5 days. I am fortunate to have a wonderful dealership and was charged the typical $25.00 per tire except they did not charge me for doing the spare transfer. And yes, they highly recommend balancing and that was included in the mounting price.
As to the devices, I have two but have never used them. I carry them for roadside emergency use only. No concern here for overloading an axle for such a short time. Have the spare ready, remove the bad tire and install the spare. Easy peesy I think.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #12

tires

go to E custom hitch .com. you can order 4 tires on rims , or loose. i got 2- 13 inch tires and rims . for boat 148.00 free ship no tax .sold old rims on craigs list . same price as local store,tires only, and got new rims.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #13

a trustworthy tire store is invaluable. I have one I've traded with for 50 years and I trust 100%. They don't have room for a trailer so I take the wheels to them.

I replaced my China Bombs with Good Year Endurance after 3 years. I now tow with confidence. Not worth pushing cheap tires beyond that IMHO. I've dealt with collateral damage too many times.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #14

I tried to stretch my OEM bombs to seven years. (2015 TT but in service since 2014) Bad idea. Not many miles as tires go, and no visible signs of deterioration, but the blowout slapped the bottom of my slide out with broken steel cables and I was lucky to only spend $100 to have that repaired. Could have been more expensive had the blowout occurred on the passenger side. Got GY Endurance on now, which upped the load rating one notch and provided a much higher speed rating than the old ones. TT is stored outside so I also use tire covers now, which I never did before.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Whatever shows up, huh? I'd run away from that joint. As far as balancing goes, I always balance my tires. An out of balance tire is out of balance from the time it first hits the road and it remains out of balance. A lot of other factors to consider with an out of balance tire. My mindset is, I'm paying for the tires that I want and I'll care for them as I wish.
I fully agree !!!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #16

We have all heard that RVs are dubbed rolling earthquakes. Now, let's consider tire balance. Depending how out-of-balance the tires are, the rolling earthquake might be in the 6-7 range on the Richter scale. Balance tires may fall into the 2-3 range. Why spend thousands of hard earned dollars for a camper and then subject it to unnecessary pounding for a few dollars saved.

An out-of-balance tire will roll like a cam at highway speed and is slapping the pavement on every revolution. That will eventually cause flat spots. Flat spots cause a humming or droning sound. Now, amplify that by four. The camper is subjected to vibrations, and the occupants in the TV are subjected to vibration and noise.

Contrary to what we have been told by tire experts over and over, not having to balance tires has never resonated with us. We have our trailer tires balanced and we have all four wheels of our vehicles balance. Then have them checked with each tire rotation.

We recently purchased a new TV. On our first service, we had the tires rotated and asked to have the balance checked. Why was the question from the service rep. Because we always do. We are willing to pay. When the service was done, the service rep stated that each wheel was a half ounce off. They were balanced-no extra charge.

When the Covid pandemic started, we were in Florida. Florida cases were rising. At our second residence, the number was 2 and no deaths. We cancelled our flights and decided to drive. Our vehicle had under 25K miles. The Good Year tire treads were very good, but the the vehicle was over 5 yrs old. We chose to replace rather than gamble driving cross country.

If you got 5 years out of you Castle Rocks, consider yourself truly fortunate. I would not gamble success any longer.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post

Ron

Your 4 + years overdue. Glad you didn’t have a blowout.
Find a quality tire store that sells Goodyear Endurance tires. Up your load rating 1 notch (like D to E) and order a set of tires. When they come in, take your camper to them. Yes, get them balanced and keep the nails and screws in the camper from coming loose.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #18

Don't forget...

This is your first tire change, so this won't apply now, but when you change tires again in five years, don't forget to put the best of the four tires on the spare and a new tire replacing the ten-year old one that was the spare.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
go to E custom hitch .com. you can order 4 tires on rims , or loose. i got 2- 13 inch tires and rims . for boat 148.00 free ship no tax .sold old rims on craigs list . same price as local store,tires only, and got new rims.
I did the same, I added the metal valve stems, all shipped to my door, sold used on Craigslist, the buyer was happy with the sale and that helped to pay for my new set
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #20

Tires

What you suggest is exactly what I do. Consider going from "C" rated tires to "D" rated to give you a larger margin of safety. It was a total of $28 more on my TT to go up to a weight class. I have had good results w/ GY Endurance and Sailun.
Tundra 2014 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires