Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #21

I am always under my trailers weight rating but upgraded the stock load range C tires to load range E with the same 5 lug wheels. I did switch to metal valve stems though. I have driven thousands of miles at 80psi with no issues. My tire dealer advised me that my wheels ratings are based on the number of lugs and not the inflation pressure and there was no reason to change wheels. I went with his recommendation and have been happy. FWIW, I also use a TPMS system.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #22

Texas Tire Stores

Airdale / I agree and see why the rims and tires were tossed on due to dollars.

Windjammin and wolfwhistle, you missed I'm not after more weight. Stores in Texas do not stock D tires unless you look real hard for a Goodyear Store somewhere. Discount Tire only shows E range in stock on two brands down here. In Flagstaff, AZ, it took Discount Tire three days to round up a pair of D range tires when we had trouble at Grand Canyon and limped in on two tread separations. This tells me use what is available easily.

Mtelkman, you are doing what I've been told to do by Discount Tire Store and CAMCO Wheel and Axle where I live. ETrailer.com waffled around and I got a third contradicting opinion from their staff.

If I don't have to spend $400 for 5 steel 2850 rims to match the tires???? Sounds good to me!

Again. Not looking for more capacity, only getting away from China Bombs. Last trailer was 2012 with 16" and E range China tires. In short out of town trip to Kerville, Bastrop and Bryan, TX, I had three tread seperations right at 6,000 miles on those factory tires. Discount Tire and Carlisles got me home and then we traded down for less weight/height etc.

If you can't drive 70 in Texas, you are a speed bump!

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #23

Forgot tpms

I'm going to order TPMS pdq (pretty darned quick).

www.greatrvproducts.com has special this month of an extra warranty year free for an order of TST 507RV. That's savings of $50 if you had to purchase that. Price is also same as others.

I also forgot to warn folks about never adjust breaks. I have at least one that may have gotten wet on dealer lot and in 29.3 miles it adjusted itself so that hub in hot. Others were OK / maybe. Before we picked the trailer up, Donna, TX, had bad frog strangler and the parking lot had maybe 8-10 inches of water on it I hear. Going to shop Monday as unable to use trailer this way. Keep an eye on your hubs.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:11 PM   #24

Tpms tst 507 rv

That TST 507 RV is a great unit. Wouldn't leave home without it. Customer service is really good and fast.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crambo View Post
I pulled my new Coachmen Catalina home yesterday and the cheap Load range C tires will be replaced pretty quick with a load range D. My trailer has the 15 inch steel rims so will they handle 65 psi? Also, I've run Maxxis 8008 and Kumho 857 before on boat trailers and had good luck. It seems that Kumho isn't making this tire in a 15 inch any longer though. Is Maxxis my best bet in a trailer tire or is their something in the Carlisle line that is giving good service? I've heard of people skipping the crappy trailer tires altogether and running an LT tire but I've never done this other than on old utility trailers that get pulled close to home. Any thoughts?
some good advice on replacing your tires if TT came with C load range tires. I upgraded to Carlisle load range E tires N speed rating = 87 mile/hour most trailer tires have a speed rating of 60-65 mile/hour. As most seasoned RV owners will say 60 to 65 miles/hour is a safe speed to travel at. With the N speed rating at 60 mile/hour you are not running at the max speed rating of the tire. Run tire pressure at 80 psi with no problem with the aluminium rims that came stock on the TT with load range C tires.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, wheel