Old 03-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #41

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn Hauler View Post
...Goodyear Endurance ($119.28) Etrailer…
A friend had his Castle Rock (aka, "C-Bomb") tires replaced at a nearby Goodyear shop for approximately that amount... just less than six hundred dollars, mounted and balanced. The TT had to be left outdoors as it would not fit inside the shop (I guess that would be the "out the door" price, for the used car salesmen among us ), so he did the removal and re-installation of the tires, while they did the dismount, replacement of valve stems (with heavier duty stems), mount, and balancing. The difference between the CR's and the Goodyears in stability and tracking was a noticeable improvement, although most anything after the OEM tires should provide at least some improvement.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
By the buy, I bought new tires for my 5'ver a year ago next week in Denver, Colorado.

I tried to get the Maxxis 8008's, but couldn't find them in stock anywhere, and the Goodyear Endurance tires hadn't been out a year yet, so didn't want them until they were proven.

I went with Hercules SP2 tires (upgraded from D to E tires) after several recommendations from some truckers I know and a bunch of RV'ers who had them.

I was going to get them from a truck tire store near the RV park I was staying at, but I was also having the wheel bearings repacked and bought the tires from the axle shop where I had the bearings done so I could get the work all done at the same time.

I could have gotten the Endurance tires from them as well.

I've put 6000 miles on them between Denver, Wyoming, South Dakota, New Mexico and Arizona.

So far...they've been awesome!
Hercules tires are OK . i put them on my TH right after i got it and got rid of the D range cheap tires . went with the E on the hercules put 12,000 miles on them but was getting odd wear on the drivers side . i thought maybe load or road crown . rotated them to keep them as even as i could . then i was taking them into get re balanced when i notice a 1" wide by 6" long piece of tread missing from one on passanger side . switched out to the carilse as my tire shop was out of the hercules which were selling like hot cakes Glad i did the cariles hd are wearing even and much better then the hercules did and a much higher speed rating . though i did hear hercules was coming out with a 12 ply 15" tire . but i'll never put the hercules on my TH or Truck again .
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I ordered the Endurance tires yesterday.
I will probably do the same. The speed rating gives me margin plus they are made into the U.S.. We Americans are our own worst enemy sometimes. We want the highest quality but will usually buy the cheapest price which drives jobs offshore.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #44
Camper

I was thinking more about replacements than anything else. If I am on the road and a tire does need to be replaced it should be easier to find a Goodyear locally than a Maxxis.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #45

Endurance all the way. Night and day difference from crappy China bombs.
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I was thinking more about replacements than anything else. If I am on the road and a tire does need to be replaced it should be easier to find a Goodyear locally than a Maxxis.
When my Hercules sh-t the bed, I was able to find Maxxis.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #47

Sailun

After considerable research, online and at a tire store, I opted for a Chinese tire, Sailun. It seems a lot of formerly North American and European tires are now made there and branded the same.
I have a 30 ft C class. I installed 6 Sailun TerraMAx H/T.

The reviews said it was equal to similar Michelins in all aspects, except long tread wear. And of course, price. These are mucho cheaper.

Since high mileage is not an issue with most snowbirds, this was not a hindrance

I have been running them for 18 months with no problems.
Paulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #48

Endurance donít waist your money on anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn Hauler View Post
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a used 2011 Coachmen Catalina 28 DDS and am preparing to replace the tires on the camper for the upcoming season. The previous tires were Maxxis M8008 ST 205/75R15s. In pricing tires I have found there are a number of different prices for different brands yet the load rating, ply rating, load range of D, and ST type are all the same among the different brands.

Prices range from the more to less expensive below.
Goodyear Endurance ($119.28) Etrailer
Maxxis M8008ST ($90.72) Discount Tire Direct
Provider ($88.20) Etrailer
Summit Hi-Road ($56.99) Regional Tire Dealer
Trailer King II ($49.00) Walmart

My question is does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the above brands?

I'm also considering having the wheel bearings replaced before the season as well, but wouldn't be doing this job myself as I don't have the tools or facility to do so. If this is the case would folks recommend I have this job done at an RV Dealer and have them put on the tires as well?

Or are there any major retailers people would recommend for tire change and wheel bearing replacement? Thank you in advance for any opinions!
Mxzteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #49
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulred View Post
After considerable research, online and at a tire store, I opted for a Chinese tire, Sailun. It seems a lot of formerly North American and European tires are now made there and branded the same.
I have a 30 ft C class. I installed 6 Sailun TerraMAx H/T.

The reviews said it was equal to similar Michelins in all aspects, except long tread wear. And of course, price. These are mucho cheaper.

Since high mileage is not an issue with most snowbirds, this was not a hindrance

I have been running them for 18 months with no problems.
The Sailun tires seem to be a solid choice for either driveable RVs of 5th wheels. Sailun does not make tires small enough to fit most Travel Trailers to my knowledge.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #50

saloun

https://simpletire.com/sailun-tires put these on my rv...very happy with them...feel; much safer on the road...they ship fast...
Old 03-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Michelin for the truck and Sailun for the trailer.

Of the ones you have listed Maxxis for sure the best.

Wouldn't touch Goodyear with a 10 ft pole, quality is sub par and not much better than Trail King or Power Tow Max.. I had Goodyear POS blow out with TPMS and not issue with Power Tow Max, wierd.

I have LT G614 Goodyear tires on my Cedar Creek and at least 40,000 miles and the tires look brand new. I have TST 507 TPMS. When I buy more tires in a couple of years Iíll buy more Goodyearís. My tires will not wear out they will age out, spare too. Spare tire has never been used
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #52
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have LT G614 Goodyear tires on my Cedar Creek and at least 40,000 miles and the tires look brand new. I have TST 507 TPMS. When I buy more tires in a couple of years Iíll buy more Goodyearís. My tires will not wear out they will age out, spare too. Spare tire has never been used
Plus, Goodyear has a reputation of paying for trailer damage from a flat tire with the G614's.

I wish we could buy them in 15" tires...I'd have them on my 5'ver!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #53
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Tire Compare Chart

The attached chart may help some of you. I consolidated my research to a compare table I built in Excel, it's exported to a PDF attachment here.

For me it was trying to decide between Sailun and Maxxis. I'm on my second set of Maxxis, no issues. One thing to note is Sailun is a 110psi tire but after conversations with Sailun corporate, they advised that the tire can be run at 80psi so long as you observe the load capacity which is different depending on whether you run at 80psi or 110psi.

Forest River trailers that ship with Load Range 'E' tires are spec'd for 80psi and it is important to note that the 6 lug wheels are also max 80psi. If you dive deep into looking at wheels rated for 110psi you'll find that most are 8 lug wheels. During my research I noted that one or two members on this forum had gotten the Sailun's as replacements for their OEM tires on their 6-lug aluminum wheels and because the Sailun's are heavier than the OEM tire, they ended up with one or two cracked rims (which the wheel mfg. replaced at no charge BTW).

Point here being, if you go to a heavier tire, you may need to go to steel, not aluminum, wheels. Lion's Head Wheel and Tire is Forest River's tire supplier and you can call them for advice. They are good to work with and their pricing is fair.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Compare Five ST and LT Tire Specs.pdf (584.2 KB, 27 views)
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
The attached chart may help some of you. I consolidated my research to a compare table I built in Excel, it's exported to a PDF attachment here.

For me it was trying to decide between Sailun and Maxxis. I'm on my second set of Maxxis, no issues. One thing to note is Sailun is a 110psi tire but after conversations with Sailun corporate, they advised that the tire can be run at 80psi so long as you observe the load capacity which is different depending on whether you run at 80psi or 110psi.

Forest River trailers that ship with Load Range 'E' tires are spec'd for 80psi and it is important to note that the 6 lug wheels are also max 80psi. If you dive deep into looking at wheels rated for 110psi you'll find that most are 8 lug wheels. During my research I noted that one or two members on this forum had gotten the Sailun's as replacements for their OEM tires on their 6-lug aluminum wheels and because the Sailun's are heavier than the OEM tire, they ended up with one or two cracked rims (which the wheel mfg. replaced at no charge BTW).

Point here being, if you go to a heavier tire, you may need to go to steel, not aluminum, wheels. Lion's Head Wheel and Tire is Forest River's tire supplier and you can call them for advice. They are good to work with and their pricing is fair.
IF their wheels cracked it was because the went beyond the load capabilities not the extra psi . i have seen bicycle tires that go as high as 100 psi
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post

Thanks for the great spreadsheet... nice job!
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 03-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #56
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
IF their wheels cracked it was because the went beyond the load capabilities not the extra psi . i have seen bicycle tires that go as high as 100 psi
Their load carry didn't change when they changed tires and it wasn't a PSI issue, it was most likely attributed to the weight of the tire.

The factory Maxxis weigh 43.4 lbs and the same size Sailun's weigh 55.1 lbs. That's a 11.7 lbs increase (27%). The Sailun ST tire is based on a proven LT track tire sold by Sailun in the same size ranges.

Goodyear Endurance 40 lbs, Carlisle 35 lbs. Unless you got the FR upgrade package with Maxxis, you probably got an 'E' rated tire closer to the Carlisle's (a good tire by the way). The Sailun's weigh 56% more than the Carlisle's.

In summary, it's possible that increasing the tire weight on a HiSpec wheel by 27% to 56% may just me too much for the 6 lug HiSpec (they do sell an 8-lug HiSpec that is rated 110psi). Maxxis at 43.4 lbs or Endurance at 40 lbs seems to be a better fit if you want to keep your HiSpec aluminum wheels.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #57

To follow up on this discussion. I had 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires installed on our 5th wheel today. The Maxxis tires I had worked for me flawlessly for over 3 years and 20,000+ miles but decided to buy American plus the good reviews from this site.

Time will tell...
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 04-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
To follow up on this discussion. I had 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires installed on our 5th wheel today. The Maxxis tires I had worked for me flawlessly for over 3 years and 20,000+ miles but decided to buy American plus the good reviews from this site.

Time will tell...
My Maxxis on multiple trailers work flawlessly as well and I am not switching unless something happens where I have to.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just put these on my dump trailer today to match the ones on my 5th wheel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190410_121005.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	201408
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire