Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

Tire confusion

After reading all the tire experiences of everyone in the group, I find myself getting more confused. Ordered and bought last year, a 2015 Windjammer RLT 3006W, four bunks in the front for the grandkids. The unit will be making a trip to Nebraska from Ohio this summer. Tires on the trailer were "Made in China", ST225/75R15/C. I have not weighed it yet but the yellow sticker shows dry weight of 6838#. The unit will probably be towed by my daughter with her husband following with a 35' livestock trailer, heading for cattle shows. NOW, new tires. What brand and load range should I get? Thanks
Paul Darold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

question. what is the bolt pattern on the rims?

I have 15 x 6 with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. they make 15 x 6 with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. this will determine what the load capacity of the rim is. if you have the 6 on 5.5 i would get load range d or e tires in goodyear marathons or maxxis 8008. if for some reason you have the smaller bolt pattern your rims cant handle anymore weight then what the c load range tires are on it already
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, this thread should start another storm!

So, I'll start with; why do you need new tires on a 2015?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

I take it you have been reading all of the horror stories about the self detonating Chinese ST tires.

How many stories have you read about people having zero problems with the same type?

If you take to heart some of what has been posted my unit should be a smoldering heap on the side of the HWY, but it is not.

Will you have a flat tire, odds are good you will, will switching brand new tires for a set of more expensive brand new tires guarantee you will not have tire problems, I doubt it.

If you want to spend the money to give yourself some sense of comfort then go for it.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
question. what is the bolt pattern on the rims?

I have 15 x 6 with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. they make 15 x 6 with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. this will determine what the load capacity of the rim is. if you have the 6 on 5.5 i would get load range d or e tires in goodyear marathons or maxxis 8008. if for some reason you have the smaller bolt pattern your rims cant handle anymore weight then what the c load range tires are on it already

I think it's safe to assume the OP is not planning on overloading the wheels/axles, but simply looking for a better margin regarding the tires capacity. Unlike the worthless tires that the trailer manufacturers install on new trailers, the wheels are not known for failing. I see no problem with installing D tires on C wheels for this purpose (did so myself with my 5 lug wheels).

GY Marathons or Maxxis 8008's are both excellent choices.

I would almost argue that TPMS sensors are more important than upgrading the tires though. The logic behind this is that the TPMS system will alert you to failed tires when they happen...significantly reducing the chance of damage to the RV. Upgrading tires unfortunately does not ELIMINATE failed tires...just reduces the likelihood.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

To repeat for the ?? time, I wouldn't pull a new trailer off the dealer's lot on the factory tires. It is not a matter of will I have a blowout, but when. The when will be a lot sooner than you think. Either GY Marathon LRD or equivalent BEFORE the trip!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

X2 what OldCoot said. You'll be glad you did!

2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS-6
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty Fx4 6.7 Powerstroke
16K PullRite SuperGlide
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags
Cyoul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

If you have a 25% load capacity overhead with your Chinese tires, I would probably run with them for a few years. As I've said before, I had Chinese (Nanco) LRC on my previous TT for 9 years (yes, nine - way beyond anyone would recommend) but they were always covered and always checked to be at 50psi before any trip. But the trailer was so light that I had about a 40% safety factor.

However, when the trailer in my sig arrived with Chinese LRC tires (with about 8% load safety factor) they were swapped within 25 miles for Goodyear Marathon LRD and now have over 20% safety margin. I have complete confidence in them... They have close to 5,000 miles on now (about 1500 last year and currently almost complete a round trip from Ontario to Key West) and the tread still looks new. I try to have them at 58psi at the start of each day (meaning I had to let air out several times going from -10F when I left to 80F in Florida, and I am now adding on the way back).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #9

I agree that the op is trying to gain capacity and that tpms is probably more important but how do you safely gain capacity on a rim that is rated @2150 lbs (50 psi)? is there a way to push them to 65 psi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I think it's safe to assume the OP is not planning on overloading the wheels/axles, but simply looking for a better margin regarding the tires capacity. Unlike the worthless tires that the trailer manufacturers install on new trailers, the wheels are not known for failing. I see no problem with installing D tires on C wheels for this purpose (did so myself with my 5 lug wheels).

GY Marathons or Maxxis 8008's are both excellent choices.

I would almost argue that TPMS sensors are more important than upgrading the tires though. The logic behind this is that the TPMS system will alert you to failed tires when they happen...significantly reducing the chance of damage to the RV. Upgrading tires unfortunately does not ELIMINATE failed tires...just reduces the likelihood.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #10

I have the same concern with my factory installed china bombs. Last year we probably logged a few thousand miles on them. I keep the speed under 65 mph, tire pressure at 50 PSI and have Tireminder TPMS on them. I might make one more trip with them, but I will be keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going with Maxxis 8008 ST225/75R15 "D" rated and steel valve stems. No intentions of overloading. Will weight to determine the proper pressure for the load. I just want good tires with 8 plys for the safety margin. Don't know about your location, but there's no one in South Central Kansas that handle MAXXIS. I will have to drive out of state or buy off the internet.

PS Replacing "C" with "D" load rated tires. Here's what MAXXIS said in a email to me:
Hey Ken,
We do not offer the ST225/75R15 in a load range "C", only "D" and "E". However there would be no reason you could not use the higher load range as long as you inflate to the proper air pressure. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International – USA
Email: MaxxisSupport@maxxis.com | Web: maxxis.com

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

If it is a LR D, I would use the max sidewall pressure of 65# and get the extra load carrying capacity due to the shock loads of hitting bumps, etc on the highway. I keep mine in the 64#-65# range every morning I am on the road. I never bleed pressure off during the day either.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it is a LR D, I would use the max sidewall pressure of 65# and get the extra load carrying capacity due to the shock loads of hitting bumps, etc on the highway. I keep mine in the 64#-65# range every morning I am on the road. I never bleed pressure off during the day either.
Did you originally have "C" rated tires and switch to "D"? I called the company that supplies the rims (Lionhead) and they said the rims will handle 65 psi just make sure to change out the valve stems to steel bolt on...When I switch from "C" to "D" I figured I would weight and go from there. Cold Pressure at least 50 PSI, but not more than 65 PSI. should be good...

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Did you originally have "C" rated tires and switch to "D"? I called the company that supplies the rims (Lionhead) and they said the rims will handle 65 psi just make sure to change out the valve stems to steel bolt on...When I switch from "C" to "D" I figured I would weight and go from there. Cold Pressure at least 50 PSI, but not more than 65 PSI. should be good...
Good to know about the steel valve stems. I figured that's what everyone was doing. as long as the rim can handle the pressure better to put more tire on it.

I would be interested to know what size axles everyone has that has to do this?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Went from LR C to LR D and just this last summer went to the steel valve stems due to going from TST 507 to TST 507 Flow Thru sensors. Also balanced the tire/wheel assy WITH the sensor installed.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #15

Pretty positive my specification label on the Windjammer says 4000 pound axles.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Pretty positive my specification label on the Windjammer says 4000 pound axles.

I thought they would be 4000lb.

learning more and more. 3500 lb axles have 14" rims, 4000 lb have 15" 5 x 4.5 and 4400 lb have 15" 6 x 5.5.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Darold View Post
After reading all the tire experiences of everyone in the group, I find myself getting more confused. Ordered and bought last year, a 2015 Windjammer RLT 3006W, four bunks in the front for the grandkids. The unit will be making a trip to Nebraska from Ohio this summer. Tires on the trailer were "Made in China", ST225/75R15/C. I have not weighed it yet but the yellow sticker shows dry weight of 6838#. The unit will probably be towed by my daughter with her husband following with a 35' livestock trailer, heading for cattle shows. NOW, new tires. What brand and load range should I get? Thanks
I see you are in Brookville,Ohio. Walt Luti Tire in Lebanon,Ohio will sell you (Fresh) Maxxis Tires! If for No other reason the O/E Tire (Sidewalls) at Max Pressure are Pitiful! I and several Members have purchased Maxxis 8008 Tires from Walt Luti,they are a CLASS Dealer! I will offer you the same convenience as I did for other Members! Since there is NO (Easy/Good) way to jack up a (Windjammer/V-Lite) I made a Ramp that you drive up on to change the Tires! I can take it to Walt Luti Tire for them to use for Your trailer (Free) just send me a P/M on here if needed! Even if I am Traveling I can supply the Ramp for you to use! Maybe you can even make the (Tadpole Rally) this year? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #18

I have a Windjammer 3008W that came with Trail Express LR C tires. A year ago I switched them out for a set of Goodyear Marathons LR D because I wanted excess capacity as a safety factor and a manufacturer with a brand name to protect. I have not been disappointed.

The tires now have 14,000 miles on them after several trips last year including a trip to Alaska from Florida. Other than some tread wear the tires look really good. I also bought a TPMS and have been very happy my new setup.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I see you are in Brookville,Ohio. Walt Luti Tire in Lebanon,Ohio will sell you (Fresh) Maxxis Tires! If for No other reason the O/E Tire (Sidewalls) at Max Pressure are Pitiful! I and several Members have purchased Maxxis 8008 Tires from Walt Luti,they are a CLASS Dealer! I will offer you the same convenience as I did for other Members! Since there is NO (Easy/Good) way to jack up a (Windjammer/V-Lite) I made a Ramp that you drive up on to change the Tires! I can take it to Walt Luti Tire for them to use for Your trailer (Free) just send me a P/M on here if needed! Even if I am Traveling I can supply the Ramp for you to use! Maybe you can even make the (Tadpole Rally) this year? Youroo!!
I just bought Andersen Rapid Jack, but haven't tried it out to see if it will lift the wheel off the ground or if I will have to place a board under it. Do you know If the Rapid Jack will work by itself on a Windjammer? Do you have any Pics on the one you have?
Thanks

I went to http://www.waltlutitire.com/ but didn't see MAXXIS tires. I was wondering about their price. So I e-mail them, I likely will be in Springfield OH, sometime this year I might just have to pull the trigger and get new MAXXIS tires if the price is right.

Tags
tire