Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
waybeck2018

Tire Demon finally got me

While inspecting the TT prior to a planned trip I found this tire split. Not sure exactly what to think of it. It was in the storage lot where we have never had any vandalism. Not sure is it failed or was sliced. Tires are 3ys old with about 8500 miles
So I went looking for Goodyear Endurance and no dealer (4) I checked had any available or in warehouses (Thanks to you online fans but I do not do online) I did find an in stock Mastertrack set of four with a reasonable price point of $416.12 including stems, balance and mount in the price. Any knowleable folks here have any input on these tires? They only come in Load Range D for 14 inch tires. Mine are ST205/75R14. The picture identifies the name brand. QUESTION: If I can not get GYE how about knowledge of Cooper or Carlisle. Any valid input is welcome. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split tire.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	264916  

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
While inspecting the TT prior to a planned trip I found this tire split. Not sure exactly what to think of it. It was in the storage lot where we have never had any vandalism. Not sure is it failed or was sliced. Tires are 3ys old with about 8500 miles
So I went looking for Goodyear Endurance and no dealer (4) I checked had any available or in warehouses (Thanks to you online fans but I do not do online) I did find an in stock Mastertrack set of four with a reasonable price point of $416.12 including stems, balance and mount in the price. Any knowleable folks here have any input on these tires? They only come in Load Range D for 14 inch tires. Mine are ST205/75R14. The picture identifies the name brand. QUESTION: If I can not get GYE how about knowledge of Cooper or Carlisle. Any valid input is welcome. Thanks!
Some input:

Quote:
Mastertrack Tires are made in China and supply discount priced trailer tires to the US and Canadian market. Their trailer tires are built to be durable with two all steel styles. Designed to be long lasting, handle heavily loads and low rolling resistance, Mastertrack tires are a good value for the price.
In short they are like Castle Rock tires with a different name.

How good? Who really knows. Only time in service can determine that.

Just like with Castle Rocks, where some get 15-20k miles or more and some have them fail after one season and only 1-2k miles, literally "your mileage may vary".

BTW, at ~$100 each I doubt you got the all steel style. Those are advertised for just under $200 ea. and only in the larger sizes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Some input:

In short they are like Castle Rock tires with a different name.

How good? Who really knows. Only time in service can determine that.

Just like with Castle Rocks, where some get 15-20k miles or more and some have them fail after one season and only 1-2k miles, literally "your mileage may vary".

BTW, at ~$100 each I doubt you got the all steel style. Those are advertised for just under $200 ea. and only in the larger sizes.

Thanks Mike for the valid input. Sort of along the lines I was thinking. I never thought to ask about the all steel construction. I am still searching for either GYE or Carlisle, having been told by reputable tire dealers that they are probably the best choice(s) I think I did read somewhere that most tires these days are still made in China. BF Goodrich a US made tire?

Old 10-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:

Thanks Mike for the valid input. Sort of along the lines I was thinking. I never thought to ask about the all steel construction. I am still searching for either GYE or Carlisle, having been told by reputable tire dealers that they are probably the best choice(s) I think I did read somewhere that most tires these days are still made in China. BF Goodrich a US made tire?
BF Goodrich, the Company, doesn't make tires and hasn't since late in the last century. The Tire portion of BF Goodrich joined Uniroyal which became Uniroyal Goodrich Co. In 1990 Michelin completed the purchase of Uniroyal Goodrich. The Brands Uniroyal and BF Goodrich remain separate from Michelin but in the end all the money from sales goes into the same pocket.

BF Goodrich has made good tires on a consistent basis and Uniroyal tires improved greatly since the Michelin acquisition.

Talk is that BF Goodrich owns a factory in Shanghai outright and either does, or will, produce tires there. If BF Goodrich runs the quality control department there's probably no reason to question their product. There's a lot invested in the brand name and I doubt that "management" will do anything to jeopardize that by putting crappy tires on the market. They'll leave the crappy tires to the discount market.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
BF Goodrich, the Company, doesn't make tires and hasn't since late in the last century. The Tire portion of BF Goodrich joined Uniroyal which became Uniroyal Goodrich Co. In 1990 Michelin completed the purchase of Uniroyal Goodrich. The Brands Uniroyal and BF Goodrich remain separate from Michelin but in the end all the money from sales goes into the same pocket.

BF Goodrich has made good tires on a consistent basis and Uniroyal tires improved greatly since the Michelin acquisition.

Talk is that BF Goodrich owns a factory in Shanghai outright and either does, or will, produce tires there. If BF Goodrich runs the quality control department there's probably no reason to question their product. There's a lot invested in the brand name and I doubt that "management" will do anything to jeopardize that by putting crappy tires on the market. They'll leave the crappy tires to the discount market.

Thanks again Mike. As always you provide valid AND valuable information. Unless I can find the right tires, preferably GYE before the trip I will cancel. Not worth taking the risk with my bride and grandson onboard. Thanks again !1

Old 10-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #6

I do not think the Carlisle HD have the new, improved version in the 14". If you can't find GY Endurance I would suggest Maxxis 8008. I have had them on 2 trailers with good performance. Hankook also has a new trailer tire (Vantra, I think) but are new to the market and little to base quality so far.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #7

I just recently saw a picture of a failed Trailer King RST+ tire on another forum. Fresh off the trailer lot, 5.5hrs into the drive. Bead/sidewall failed.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
I do not think the Carlisle HD have the new, improved version in the 14". If you can't find GY Endurance I would suggest Maxxis 8008. I have had them on 2 trailers with good performance. Hankook also has a new trailer tire (Vantra, I think) but are new to the market and little to base quality so far.
They appear to have the new HD Version in the 14" rim size, load range D. I run the 15" load range E version of the Carlisle Radial Trail HD, been on my trailer for a bit over a year no issues with them, including interstate driving in South Texas hot summers.

Both Walmart and Discount Tire list them as available so you likely can walk into the store and order them:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...8PLY/189531797

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...adial-trail-hd
Old 10-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #9

I just got the Goodyears but Carlisle was a close second choice.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #10
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I just recently saw a picture of a failed Trailer King RST+ tire on another forum. Fresh off the trailer lot, 5.5hrs into the drive. Bead/sidewall failed.

Lins, I guess I got lucky with mine. Over 8K miles and 3years old. But did not travel in 2020. Glad I did the pre trip inspection and found it.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #11

JMO but don't even consider more Chinese garbage.

First choice: Goodyear Endurance
Second: Hankook Vantra

You can have them shipped to installer. Also go up in size to 215's.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

Put the D rated Carlisle's on mine a few years ago and have been happy. I ordered online at Walmart and took the wheels in for them to install.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...8PLY/189531797
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #13

Don't be afraid of the Mastertrack tires. Those are one of the best Chinese tires on the market. I've been running the 205 75/R15 Load range D Mastertrack tires on my landscape trailers for over 10 years now and I beat on them way harder than a travel trailer will running down the highway. I run them down until they are bald on the rear axle before I replace them.

I've never had one fail or come apart unless I hit something.

Biggest factor with tires is to stay within the load rating and keep the tire inflated to max PSI. I've seen my tires drop 10psi with ambient temp changes on my TPMS. That's a tire killer right there if your running max load and the PSI drops 15% without your knowledge, the tire will heat up and you know what happens next.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #14
Just A Member

bob213 mentioned Maxxis 8008 tires as a good choice. I strongly agree with him. I believe they are as good as Goodyear Endurance. I ran a set for four years with no issues.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #15

Get the Goodyear tires and don't look back..!!
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirthawg_ View Post
... I've seen my tires drop 10psi with ambient temp changes on my TPMS. That's a tire killer right there if your running max load and the PSI drops 15% without your knowledge, the tire will heat up and you know what happens next.
Wow...you must be inflating them in the sun when it's 100 degrees out. I inflate mine to max PSI early in the morning before a trip and have never had a pressure drop on the TPMS unless it got really cold overnight, and even then the drop is only a couple of psi.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #17

Not sure if it was previously mentioned on this thread.
Be sure to get fresh tires, I had a shop try to sell me 5 year old "new" tires. I wouldn't have known any better if I didn't check the codes on the tires. Learn to read the DOT codes on the tire you plan to buy. I wouldn't buy any older than 12 months, less if you can get them. Just need to request you want fresh ones.

I went with Maxxis m8008, five years now and no problems
It's time to change them and I will look for same again. These are not as common as Endurance so there's less availability in tire shops, that said, I simply carry an extra spare at times.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #18
ysidive

Quote:
Cooper is now a division of Goodyear..... I would suggest that you up 1 size to a ST215/75R14...in a D rating. I did this on my trailer and the extra capacity is worth the difference in price. (7-10 bucks difference). Been running them for over 15000 miles and have been great with no problems. Hold out for the Goodyear Endurance you will not be sorry.
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:17 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
QUOTE:"Talk is that BF Goodrich owns a factory in Shanghai outright and either does, or will, produce tires there. If BF Goodrich runs the quality control department there's probably no reason to question their product. There's a lot invested in the brand name and I doubt that "management" will do anything to jeopardize that by putting crappy tires on the market."

One would think so but Goodyear failed miserably with the Goodyear Marathon that was made in China. So much so that they moved the manufacturing to the U.S.A.. They replaced the Marathon with the U.S.A. made Endurance.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
Get the Goodyear tires and don't look back..!!
Good advice BUT haven't you been reading how Goodyear Endurance tires are VERY HARD to come by.

Makes it tough if one needs tires NOW.

Tags
tire