Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #21

I picked it up from AutoTire, where the tires had been mounted and balanced. They stated it was a bad bead and it caused the leak. they assured me I should have no more issues. I will report back in two weeks after I take them to Amana from STL
Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #22

TPMS

On our recent trip I had just purchased a TPMS unit and tried it out. In Kentucky an alarm went off and we noticed dropping air pressure. It dropped to 25 PSI from 65 PSI and remained steady. We pulled off the highway and the pressure remained steady. I filled the tire back up and noticed that it was holding pressure. I went back outside and touched the valve stem and it leaked like crazy to 38 PSI. We drove to a tire store close by and the tire remained at 25 PSI during the slow drive. We replaced the tire valve stem and c
ontinued on our way from South Texas to Northern Michigan without incident.
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb9876 View Post
On our recent trip I had just purchased a TPMS unit and tried it out. In Kentucky an alarm went off and we noticed dropping air pressure. It dropped to 25 PSI from 65 PSI and remained steady. We pulled off the highway and the pressure remained steady. I filled the tire back up and noticed that it was holding pressure. I went back outside and touched the valve stem and it leaked like crazy to 38 PSI. We drove to a tire store close by and the tire remained at 25 PSI during the slow drive. We replaced the tire valve stem and c
ontinued on our way from South Texas to Northern Michigan without incident.
The manual on my TPMS had in bold print. It is recommended that the sensors be mounted on metal valve stems only.

My suggestion only: When new tires are mounted with the metal valve stems, mount the tpms sensor to the stem THEN have the tire balanced. T
Or use a bead balancing system on your tires.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
I picked it up from AutoTire, where the tires had been mounted and balanced. They stated it was a bad bead and it caused the leak. they assured me I should have no more issues. I will report back in two weeks after I take them to Amana from STL
Weren't these new tires? If so, I can just about guarantee if that is what was stated, then it was one of three problems.

1.The installer tore the bead when mounting it (which would most likely need a new tire)

2. If they balanced the tires, the clip on the weight actually can make it leak at that point. This is more prevalent on aluminum rims with lips that require weights with larger clips that make a wedge sometimes between the tire bead and rim. You can usually just remove and reinstall the weight to stop that.

3.Or more times than that, they left the barcode label on the bead which will allow it to slowly leak.

I despise these barcode labels on the beads, and we usually paint over them with a special bead sealer product when mounting them that solves that all too common leak.

I have some Carlisle HD's on the rack. let me go see if they have the barcodes on the beads.

EDIT: None of the 9 Carlisles HD tires I have currently in stock have the barcode labels on the beads, so maybe 1 or 2 may apply above.

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #25

All good suggestions. Have the tire broken down and use bead sealer on the bead. While it's broken down, replace the valve stems with the all steel type to prevent flexing from the TPMS sensor. (I had an issue with the rubber high pressure type). Have it rebalanced with new weights and my bet is you'll be good. Of course when it's broken down also have them check inside for any nails etc that may have punctured the tire. You may never know for sure, but all of these issues are way more likely than a bad wheel. I've been doing tires for years, and have never had it be the wheel. I understand that is a possibility, just eliminate all of the other things first then go from there.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Weren't these new tires? If so, I can just about guarantee if that is what was stated, then it was one of three problems.

1.The installer tore the bead when mounting it (which would most likely need a new tire)

2. If they balanced the tires, the clip on the weight actually can make it leak at that point. This is more prevalent on aluminum rims with lips that require weights with larger clips that make a wedge sometimes between the tire bead and rim. You can usually just remove and reinstall the weight to stop that.

3.Or more times than that, they left the barcode label on the bead which will allow it to slowly leak.

I despise these barcode labels on the beads, and we usually paint over them with a special bead sealer product when mounting them that solves that all too common leak.

I have some Carlisle HD's on the rack. let me go see if they have the barcodes on the beads.

EDIT: None of the 9 Carlisles HD tires I have currently in stock have the barcode labels on the beads, so maybe 1 or 2 may apply above.

Thankss for the explanation. To answer your question, they were new tires in late april/ early may. Since then they have had about 4-5000 miles put on them.

Last week drove put over 200 miles each way to FrogtoberFest and didn't have an issue
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #27
Head Rambler

Just to chime in here. After we bought our current home I discovered that I couldn't keep one tire aired up. I went through all the things I could think of and I finally used an old leak finding technique I learned a long time ago at some local service stations. submersing the whole tire and rim in a water tank. Luckily I had a tank big enough to handle it.

Long story short, it was a tiny leak in the wheel where the center was welded to the rim. It was a bubble about every second or two. But by submersing the entire assembly you could see it bubble. Of course the first time I had it on the bottom, but after turning it over I could tell exactly where it was.

Now for the, not so short, dealer part of this story!
I took a video of it leaking and naturally took the issue to the dealer and even made sure to send them the video. I told them to send the video to Lionshead and they said that they did, and Lionshead said that it was a curb strike and denied the claim. There was no way it was caused by damage and I wasn't taking that for an answer, so I called Lionshead direct and come to find out the dealer never even contacted them.

So I sent the nice lady at Lionshead a copy of the video and she immediately replaced the wheel and sent me $35 to have the tire removed, mounted on the new wheel, and balanced. Kudos to Lionshead.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I've been doing tires for years, and have never had it be the wheel. I understand that is a possibility, just eliminate all of the other things first then go from there.
There have been lots of reports in the last five years or so of RV wheels having microscopic cracks in them causing leaks.

I haven't experienced one yet, but I do know several fellow RV'ers that have!

Matter of fact, we also have a 2009 Ford Escape with the same issue...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire