Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #1

Tire pressure discrepancy

We have a 2020 FR Vengeance Rogue 25v. It is equipped with Castle Rock ST225/75R15 LRD. The information placard on the side of the trailer states Cold max PSI 80 lbs for that size tire. However, on Lionhead's webpage for these tires it says Cold max PSI 65 lbs. To me, this seems to be a discrepancy. So, I am not sure who to believe when it comes to filling the tires to max psi.
Any thoughts?
rejsende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

What does it say on the tire?
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1689
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

I'd follow the manufacturer recommendation on the sticker on the side of the trailer. You might want to start over with another set of tires before those China Bombs let go.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #4

Cboss is asking what does the side of the tire say for max psi.
The reason you see a difference is in recommendations is load range E tires generally are 80psi where load range D is normal 65psi. But the side wall PSI will indicate which tires you have
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #5

Definitely check for the max psi embossed on the existing tires notwithstanding the RV placard. Putting 80psi in a max 65psi tire will result in negative results. The fact that they're Castle Rocks will only make it worse.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #6

If your tire says max 75 psi and the RV says 80 psi, you likely have the wrong tires (Load Range D, when you should have Load Range E). If this is true your tires are likely overloaded.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I'd follow the manufacturer recommendation on the sticker on the side of the trailer. You might want to start over with another set of tires before those China Bombs let go.
It would be best to go off the tire as they may have put the wrong tire on the Trailer . going by the sticker may have him over inflating LRD's when he should have LRE's installed . if they are not the correct tires then the Dealer or Manufacture will have to make it right
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #8

The OP said the tires they have are LRD, load range D, which typically have a recommended pressure for their full weight capacity of 65 PSI. The trailer placard is likely to be providing the recommended pressure of 80 PSI for a load range E tire. The OP will need to follow the spec shown on the tire itself.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Bad advice. Putting 80 PSI in, like the placard says, rather than the 65 PSI the LRD tires likely say, probably would indeed help “those China bombs let go”.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The OP said the tires they have are LRD, load range D, which typically have a recommended pressure for their full weight capacity of 65 PSI. The trailer placard is likely to be providing the recommended pressure of 80 PSI for a load range E tire. The OP will need to follow the spec shown on the tire itself.
If true.. then the LRD tires are likely over loaded. If the sticker calls for 80 psi, the LRE tires are specd for the trailer.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Really? Even though the manufacturer recommendation on the sticker on the side of trailer exceeds the tire manufacturer's recommendation by 15 PSI (cold)?!? I would have to disagree with that. You do not want to run a Load Range D tire with a maximum pressure of 65 PSI at 80 PSI. Not cold, anyway.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejsende View Post
We have a 2020 FR Vengeance Rogue 25v. It is equipped with Castle Rock ST225/75R15 LRD. The information placard on the side of the trailer states Cold max PSI 80 lbs for that size tire. However, on Lionhead's webpage for these tires it says Cold max PSI 65 lbs. To me, this seems to be a discrepancy. So, I am not sure who to believe when it comes to filling the tires to max psi.
Any thoughts?
The GVWR for the trailer is 9985 lbs. The 4 tires are rated for 10,160 lbs total. That gives you 175 lbs reserve. Then you do subtract tongue weight of 1,000 lbs. So you have 1175 lbs reserve or 293.75 lbs / tire. You want 20% reserve capacity so you should have reserve of 508 lbs / tire. I doubt those tires meet NHTSA standards for the weight rating of the trailer. You need to move up to load range E - which is what the sticker on the side of the trailer says needs to be there.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #13

But those tires load range D tires do meet the requirements.
and don't forget the rims need to be load range E weight capacities also

I am guessing they are dextor axles, looking in there catalog I see 4400 lb axles.
lf your RV has a GVW 9984 and you subtract a max tongue weight of 1184 you will see 8800lbs on the axles, or 4400 per axle.
I know the documentation shows the tongue weight lower, but I bet that is actual tongue weight.

4.4K lb axles come with 10" x2.25 brakes.
4.4K axles does have 6 wheel studs.

the next axle up over 4400 looks to be maybe 6000 lb axle. I would bet if they were on the RV, since its a toy hauler they would have bumped the GVWR up to show more carrying weight.

4400 lb axle needs 2 tires rated at a total of 4400 lbs, or 2200 lbs each.
Load range D tires capacities 2540 lbs
Load range E tire capacities 2830 lbs
(both numbers off tire rack)
I see online this RV came with fancy wheels, I bet the wheel capacity is matched to the load range D tires they came with.

one thing I have experienced is the load range E tires will have less side wall wiggle when your sitting in a campground and someone is moving inside the RV.

So what does this forum recommend if someone puts load range E tires on a rim rated at (load range D) 65psi?
Here is a link to the Goodyear endurance RV tire inflation charts.
65psi max load is 2540 lbs
80psi max load is 2830 lbs.
did you notice the 65psi load capacity is the same as the load range D tires?

if it was me, when (not if) those tires give you problems, because I understand I am not gaining carrying capacity, and I realize the stock rims are rated enough for the design weight of the RV, I would probably just put E tires on the current rims.

Maybe upgrade the valve stems when the tries are installed.
and I would probably run 70psi just so they run a little cooler, but not for the added capacity according to load charts because your limiting factor still is the rims and axles
Old 10-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejsende View Post
Any thoughts?

It is quite common for trailer manufacturers to make that type of error on the labeling. Sometimes it's because the previous model had LRD OE tires and no one took the time to insure the tires match the placard. If the placard is wrong you should contact the vehicle manufacturer. They may have all of that model wrongly labeled. They can initiate their own recall and send the proper labeling. If the trailer was earmarked for LRE tires the vehicle manufacturer must provide replacements at no cost to the consumer.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Maybe upgrade the valve stems when the tries are installed.
and I would probably run 70psi just so they run a little cooler, but not for the added capacity according to load charts because your limiting factor still is the rims and axles
Lower tire pressure causes tires to run hotter, not cooler.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Lower tire pressure causes tires to run hotter, not cooler.

70psi is higher than 65 psi.

What I am saying it the rim is only rated to carry 2540 lbs (load range D), But the load range E tires would be rated to carry 2830 lbs. but since we are still only carrying 2540 lbs, the manufactures inflation chart shows the load range E tires should only be inflated to 65psi for the 2540 load/

but I would run them about 5psi higher than 65 to run cooler.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
70psi is higher than 65 psi.

What I am saying it the rim is only rated to carry 2540 lbs (load range D), But the load range E tires would be rated to carry 2830 lbs. but since we are still only carrying 2540 lbs, the manufactures inflation chart shows the load range E tires should only be inflated to 65psi for the 2540 load/

but I would run them about 5psi higher than 65 to run cooler.
I doubt the rims are only rated for Load Range D, which would also limit them to 65 PSI rating. Valve stems, yes - replace the valve stems. With a GVWR of 9985 lbs on a toy hauler, I doubt very seriously that the manufacturer meant for it to have LR D tires - hence the placard that definitely indicates LR E. Also, look at the tour video for the 25V on FR website:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...engeance-rogue

They state that the axles are 5200lb for a total of 10400 lbs capacity. Load Range D tires would be under-rated for 5200 lb axles. I am firmly convinced the trailer in question has the wrong tires on it.

But, with anything Load Range D, whether it be tires, rims, or valve stems, you don't want to exceed the max pressure of 65 PSI. And if the rims are only rated for Load Range D - you don't want to install load range E tires on the rims.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:33 AM   #18

Quote:
I am guessing they are dextor axles, looking in there catalog I see 4400 lb axles.
I think his trailer should have come with 5000 - 5200 lbs. 6 stud axles. Maybe that depends on optiuons? I would look at the axle stickers, ditch the garbage castle rocks, and install quality load range E tires before something bad happens.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #19

According to the specs for the OPs trailer the minimum certified axles should be 4500#. The ST225/75R15 LRD qualifies for service on those axles as they meet the minimum load capacity plus 10%.

The axle manufacturer provides axles with the capability to provide the axle's needed load capacity as certified by the vehicle manufacturer.

A picture of the trailer's certification label will answer all the necessary questions the OP has presented us with.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #20
REL

My 2019 V25 came with E rated tires and 5100 lb 6 stud axles
REL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire