Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #1

Tire pressure loss

I have a set of Goodyear endurance tires on my trailer. The last time I checked them was in October which was our last trip. I know I should check them more often when in storage ( my bad) but they looked low. Right front 43lbs, right rear 70 lbs, left front 34 lbs and left rear was 12 lbs. They were at 80 lbs. when I parked it. This seems like an awful lot of air loss for 4 months. If it was 1 or even 2 tires I suspect a problem but all 4 is very odd to me. I have them all at 80 psi right now and watching them to see what they do. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #2

The one tire that was sitting at 70psi I wouldn’t worry about but the others seem to have slow leaks. I would get them all checked. Or depending on the age of the tires just replace them all.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

Water/Soap test. Fill them up to 80psi and then spray around everything on the tire and see if you get bubbles. Might help you narrow down if there is an issue.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #4

The tires are were installed last summer and have two short trips on them. I did have metal stems put on them and already checked those with soap. I don’t think there is any rim issues. Haven’t hit and curbs or anything. Where it’s parked will be difficult to raise the trailer. If the leaks are slow enough i’ll Take it to the shop that installed them.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #5

Oh ok. It can never be something easy. Good luck.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

When I changed my first tire over 60 years ago I was taught a simple test that has served me well over the years. Many leaks occur at the valve stem's core. That little thing that is unscrewed to let air out and is depressed when checking tire pressure. If you check air pressure, before putting the cap back on just spit on your finger and wipe it over the open end of the stem. No bubble, replace cap. If it bubbles use a valve core tool (some metal caps have them included in their construction) and check to see core is tight. DON'T over tighten. Not all valve caps seal well, especially if they are the plastic type. Merely meant to keep dirt and water out with the removable core (schrader valve) being the actual seal.

If the tires are replacement tires often the tire changer (person) doesn't bother to make sure the bead surface on the wheel is clean and clear of all bits of rubber from the old tire. Bead leaks can be slow, annoying, and hard to find unless you remove the tire/wheel assy and immerse it in a vat of water. Spraying a soapy solution around the bead on both sides of the tire, waiting a few minutes, then looking for a froth of bubbles, will reveal a leak.

For the first go around I'd merely add air to the tires and check regularly to see if they still loose air.

For me, even though I spent almost my entire working life around tires I just let my local dealer handle issues like this. I buy all my tires from him without a bunch of shopping around and in return I get all kinds of maintenance services at no charge (flat repair, rotation, pressure check, etc).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I changed my first tire over 60 years ago I was taught a simple test that has served me well over the years. Many leaks occur at the valve stem's core. That little thing that is unscrewed to let air out and is depressed when checking tire pressure. If you check air pressure, before putting the cap back on just spit on your finger and wipe it over the open end of the stem. No bubble, replace cap. If it bubbles use a valve core tool (some metal caps have them included in their construction) and check to see core is tight. DON'T over tighten. Not all valve caps seal well, especially if they are the plastic type. Merely meant to keep dirt and water out with the removable core (schrader valve) being the actual seal.

If the tires are replacement tires often the tire changer (person) doesn't bother to make sure the bead surface on the wheel is clean and clear of all bits of rubber from the old tire. Bead leaks can be slow, annoying, and hard to find unless you remove the tire/wheel assy and immerse it in a vat of water. Spraying a soapy solution around the bead on both sides of the tire, waiting a few minutes, then looking for a froth of bubbles, will reveal a leak.

For the first go around I'd merely add air to the tires and check regularly to see if they still loose air.

For me, even though I spent almost my entire working life around tires I just let my local dealer handle issues like this. I buy all my tires from him without a bunch of shopping around and in return I get all kinds of maintenance services at no charge (flat repair, rotation, pressure check, etc).
My first job was working at a gas station where we mounted a ton of tires. You know back when we bubble balanced LOL. I know what you mean about the flash at the bead and I actually checked that before they were mounted. They were shipped to my home. I checked the stems and there doesn't seem to be any leak there. I'll check the beads as soon as the ground dries up. Right now it's mud. I was curious if others were having the same issue with the Endurance tires. They are very new to the market. I put my TPMS sensors back on and they haven't lost a lb since. Time will tell. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I have a set of Goodyear endurance tires on my trailer. The last time I checked them was in October which was our last trip. I know I should check them more often when in storage ( my bad) but they looked low. Right front 43lbs, right rear 70 lbs, left front 34 lbs and left rear was 12 lbs. They were at 80 lbs. when I parked it. This seems like an awful lot of air loss for 4 months. If it was 1 or even 2 tires I suspect a problem but all 4 is very odd to me. I have them all at 80 psi right now and watching them to see what they do. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any chance some kid didn’t let the air out
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Any chance some kid didn’t let the air out
Not much chance of that. My four legged security system can hear the mail truck 2 miles away. I don’t think they would miss that. And there really aren’t any kids close by.

Tags
pressure, tire