Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #1

Tire psi max and increase number when driving

If tire has max psi 65 on it. I set the tires to 62. I have a Tmps when driving a few miles down the road a couple of the tires go up to 68 psi in cold condition outside temperature 30s

Question what is the most you would let the psi to go before pulling over to cool down tires. Heading south with warmer conditions on road.
Dndfunteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Inflate to your desired PSI and then drive it. All tires will heat up a little and increase temperature. Not a problem. Keep driving.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Inflate to max cold pressure on tires when tires are cold. The temp will rise as you travel. It will even rise more on the sunny side of the RV. This is normal and is taken into account when specifying the cold pressure. Do not be too concerned about tire temp as this can vary a lot based on conditions. A significant rise in one tire over the others should be cause for concern.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

Listen to Flybob, he is right on. I try to check, and air my tires up before the sun is on them in AZ. The sun can, and does raise tire pressure a few pounds, as does the first several miles of travel.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Agreed the posted pressures on the door or the tires are taking pressure and filling tires when cold. That pressure will go up as it gets hotter but not to worry. Just don't overfill when cold. A reliable gauge is your piece of mind no matter how good or how off your TPMS are.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

x2. Tire inflation pressure is for COLD tires. Even 20 minutes of direct sun on the tires will raise the pressure and result in improper inflation. Pressure differential between sides of rig while driving based on one side being in the sun can have same impact and is normal and expected.

For towables, tires should always be inflated to the max cold pressure before travel.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
Listen to Flybob, he is right on. I try to check, and air my tires up before the sun is on them in AZ. The sun can, and does raise tire pressure a few pounds, as does the first several miles of travel.
I also notice a 10-15 degree temperature increase on the sunny side tires. My local tire guru suggested that I inflate to the suggested pressure the coach mfg posts. If you upgrade to stouter tired or LT rather than ST, I’d be consulting Michelin or BF Goodrich or Goodyear etc to figure out appropriate inflation levels. Also GET A PRIMO TIRE GAUGE! I find my gauge may disagree with the shop 10 lbs or more!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

Tire Pressure Rise

I have a DP motorhome. Cold pressure specs are 120# front and 100# rear. I live in Florida and common for the front to get up to 135 with rear going up from 100 to 110-115. My TST system gives me pressure and temperature readouts. I watch both and should one tire vary significantly from the others, there is a problem. Hope this helps. PS the sun side is always higher pressure and temp.
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hupmat View Post
I have a DP motorhome. Cold pressure specs are 120# front and 100# rear. I live in Florida and common for the front to get up to 135 with rear going up from 100 to 110-115. My TST system gives me pressure and temperature readouts. I watch both and should one tire vary significantly from the others, there is a problem. Hope this helps. PS the sun side is always higher pressure and temp.

Thanks that’s what I was looking for
Dndfunteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

If you are traveling south during the winter it is important to check tires each morning as the ambient temperature can have a major effect (depending on the weather). I was bleeding air every morning traveling from MN to FL (sum of three air dumps was about 7 psi). Morning cold temperature increased from 28 F to 85 F over four days.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
Inflate to your desired PSI and then drive it. All tires will heat up a little and increase temperature. Not a problem. Keep driving.
The foregoing is the correct answer.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Max tire pressure

Question regarding wheels. I recall seeing a post about max air pressure for wheels, where is that found on the wheel? Also, has anybody had wheels not being 'true', not being 90 degrees to the axel? I'm not talking an issue caused by hitting a curb but right out of the box if you will.

Thanks for your time, Paul
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

The thermodynamic effect on your tires was factored-in by their manufacturer. Most tire manufacturers will have a ballpark increase to expect when traveling. It can be found in their tire data books.

You should never use less tire inflation pressure than recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and found on the vehicle certification label, tire load/inflation placard or in the vehicle owner's manual.

Vehicle manufacturer recommended inflation pressures for RV trailers are not going to have much more than 10% in load capacity reserves for newer models like yours and may not have any for year models 2016 and older. Use what they recommend. You're going to need every single psi.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

Something important to remember about TPMS temperature readings. Unless the TPMS sensor is mounted inside the wheel, not just a screw on cap on the valve stem, the temperatures shown are most likely not accurate. Close perhaps but not exact. Exception might be with steel valve stems as short as practical so wheel heat is transmitted to the cap type sensor more readily.

Sensors on the end of rubber stems are more readily affected by other sources or heat, sunlight, brake drum, or ambient air temp.

Depending on tire size (and air volume) temps rise approximately 1# for every 10 degrees in temperature of the tire.

Maintain air pressures, don't overload, and don't add accessories that block air flow around tires (especially duals) and once you've observed tire pressure/temps just look for anomalies (which properly set alarm thresholds will do wonderfully).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire