Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

Tire question

I am going to replace all 4 tires on my 2018 arctic wolf 5th wheel. I want to buy the best tires I can. The size is 225/75/R15. Goodyear endurance have a 10 ply rating at 80 psi. The original tires were rated 65psi max, is it a good idea to go to a tire with a much higher psi rating? Will the harder tires be “Harder” on my camper?
Bemusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #2

Nope. Goodyear Endurance is as good as it gets.

You'll want to reference the inflation chart or follow the instructions on your camper. I think mine are at 65 w/8700lbs trailer.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

If the sticker on the camper state tire inflation is 65 but the tire states max inflation is 80 what should I go by. 80 or 65?
Bemusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemusdave View Post
If the sticker on the camper state tire inflation is 65 but the tire states max inflation is 80 what should I go by. 80 or 65?
Upping a load range is a good idea to give you a bit of safety margin.

Some people will argue 80 and to always inflate to MAX pressure the tire will handle...

my opinion is to go with 72-75 PSI and monitor the heat of the tire sidewalls with a cheap temp gun and/or TPMS monitor. Underinflation will heat up a tire but 5-8 pounds underinflation on an 80 PSI tire NOT loaded to the max weight limit I believe IMHO is not a problem.

I went from load range C 50 PSI tires to load range D at 65 PSI but I run them at 60 with no problems with heat.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Retired Army MSG!

I have used the Endurance on my other 5vr. New 5vr we bought this year came with Castle Rocks. I just purchased Hercules H901 225/75/15. 12 Ply and F load range. I will have them installed this weekend. One thing I have noticed is they are thick walled and heavy.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I have used the Endurance on my other 5vr. New 5vr we bought this year came with Castle Rocks. I just purchased Hercules H901 225/75/15. 12 Ply and F load range. I will have them installed this weekend. One thing I have noticed is they are thick walled and heavy.
I weighed my tires.
China 10 ply, 31.52 lbs.
Hercules 901 12 ply, 51.58 lbs.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemusdave View Post
When you add a load range to the OE tire size the vehicle manufacturers recommended cold inflation is still valid. What happens with the higher load range tires is added load capacity with added inflation pressures. Anything above 65 PSI is your option.

Remember, the inflation pressure displayed on the tire sidewall IS NOT a recommendation. It's the amount of cold inflation pressure needed for the tire to deliver its maximum load capacity. That figure is also no the tire sidewall.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
I weighed my tires.
China 10 ply, 31.52 lbs.
Hercules 901 12 ply, 51.58 lbs.
You are comparing a LRE polyester tire to a LRG all steel construction tire. Would it not be natural for the LRG to be heavier than the LRE?
Old 10-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:

Always go by whats stamped into the tire sidewall. The RV sticker is useless when you change tire size and/or LR.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
Always go by whats stamped into the tire sidewall. The RV sticker is useless when you change tire size and/or LR.
Part of the procedure for plus sizing tires is to insure a new recommended cold inflation pressure is set by the installer. The two primary places to display the new pressures is in the vehicle owner's manual and with an auxiliary tire placard affixed next to the vehicle certification label. NHTSA approves those changes for plus sized tires.

The recommended cold inflation pressures displayed on the vehicle certification label are minimum pressures and will dictate all recommendations for new tires.

"The load capacity for new tires MUST provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided". How is that done? Inflation pressures.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:03 AM   #11

Quote:
The two primary places to display the new pressures is in the vehicle owner's manual and with an auxiliary tire placard affixed next to the vehicle certification label.

I have never seen anyone other than the military add addtional data plates or stickers on a vehicle. Hence why I said go by the tire sidewall info. A simpleton should be able to read and comrprehend stamped info on a tire sidewall, use an airchuck, check with pressure guage, then repeat three times.

Why complicate it by spouting more silly fake gov regs? No normal human adds stickers when they get new trailer tires.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:08 AM   #12

Quote:
I have never seen anyone other than the military add addtional data plates or stickers on a vehicle. Hence why I said go by the tire sidewall info. A simpleton should be able to read and comrprehend stamped info on a tire sidewall, use an airchuck, check with pressure guage, then repeat three times.

Why complicate it by spouting more silly fake gov regs? No normal human adds stickers when they get new trailer tires.
That's because people like you do not research things before commenting on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Placard_Label_348[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	263815

I reiterate, the inflation pressure placed on the tire sidewall by the manufacturer is not a recommendation. It is simply the cold inflation pressure needed to get the maximum load capacity from that tire. Exceeding that tire pressure is called OVER inflation.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
That's because people like you do not research things before commenting on them.

Attachment 263815

I reiterate, the inflation pressure placed on the tire sidewall by the manufacturer is not a recommendation. It is simply the cold inflation pressure needed to get the maximum load capacity from that tire. Exceeding that tire pressure is called OVER inflation.
X2

If a load range D tire will carry xxxx lbs. at its 65 MAX PSI, a load range E (of the same size) will carry that same xxxx lbs. at 65 PSI even though the MAX for that tire is 80 PSI.

There is simply no need to run the MAX PSI if the tire is designed to capably handle the load at less than MAX.

Tire manufacturers produce an inflation table just for this reason. Follow it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #14

Has anyone seen a factory placard on a trailer that lists anything other than the max inflation pressure for the tires installed at the factory?

For example, my trailer GVWR is 5200 lbs. With 4 load range D tires installed that works out to no more than 1,450 lbs per tire and each tire is rated for 2,040 lbs. Yet the sticker on the trailer says to inflate to 65 PSI which is max inflation for the tires.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #15

Quote:
......Why complicate it by spouting more silly fake gov regs? No normal human adds stickers when they get new trailer tires.
The regs aren't fake, Google them if you so choose. But, you're incorrect re max psi, and stating such does a disservice to an OP who might not know the facts. Max psi shown on tires is the NEVER exceed cold pressure, measured when a tire is "cold," i.e., not yet driven. OTOH, tires can be aired down to fit a load, using the tire mfgrs. load tables. So, in this case, where the OP goes from a 65psi max to 80psi max tire, he might be able to adjust pressure down. It would behoove the OP to take the RV over the scales.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #16

I'm pretty particular when it comes to the tires on my 3010 DS. It's a pretty big rig to risk tire failure at 65 or 70 miles an hour. Without getting into a huge debate, how are cold temperature pressures effected when checked at say 50 degree ambient temperature vs 100? Also it is my understanding nitrogen filed tires don't drastically change pressures cold or hot. Is that correct?
Sunseeker16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #17

Ah the Nitrogen discussion!

Link:
Nitrogen temperature effects
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I'm pretty particular when it comes to the tires on my 3010 DS......how are cold temperature pressures effected when checked at say 50 degree ambient temperature vs 100? Also it is my understanding nitrogen filed tires don't drastically change pressures cold or hot. Is that correct?
I understand, ignoring ambient temps seems counter-intuitive, since PSI does increase with air temps. Since our air is already 78% nitrogen, full nitrogen except in airplanes, is of little effect; a waste of money. I've done the research and tire mfgrs. consistently recommend setting PSI before the tire is driven on. Now, a discussion could include a recommendation to set a tire a few PSI higher if you're in Ontario in the winter all the time, or lower in FL all the time, but my research reveals tire engineers factor in potential PSI rise and temps. Further, variables in gauges make it nearly impossible to be 100% accurate all the time. I'd argue that +/- a couple of pounds in a max 65psi tire, and +/- five pounds in a max 110psi tire, is of no consequence. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Ah the Nitrogen discussion!

Link:
Nitrogen temperature effects
Thanks, that is helpful. I read a bunch of the material. Are the benefits for using nitrogen huge? Probably not huge but given the right circumstances, beneficial. What appeals to me is less pressure fluctuation with temperature changes, less pressure loss because of permeation through the wall of the tire. I don't think I'll run out and have the air in my tires changed to nitrogen, but if it's an option when I replace my tires I probably will do it.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I understand, ignoring ambient temps seems counter-intuitive, since PSI does increase with air temps. Since our air is already 78% nitrogen, full nitrogen except in airplanes, is of little effect; a waste of money. I've done the research and tire mfgrs. consistently recommend setting PSI before the tire is driven on. Now, a discussion could include a recommendation to set a tire a few PSI higher if you're in Ontario in the winter all the time, or lower in FL all the time, but my research reveals tire engineers factor in potential PSI rise and temps. Further, variables in gauges make it nearly impossible to be 100% accurate all the time. I'd argue that +/- a couple of pounds in a max 65psi tire, and +/- five pounds in a max 110psi tire, is of no consequence. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thanks and I agree, but I'm going to give it a shot when I replace my motorhome tires in the spring.

Tags
question, tire