Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Tire rub on shock absorbers

I have a 2013 Sanibel 3500 5th wheel, I have been noticing that on occasion (dips and turns ) the tires rub on the top of the shock absorbers. There is not much clearance between the shock and the tire (aprox 1/2 inch) other than having longer axels installed it seems removing the shocks or installing wheel spacers is the only way around this problem. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Thanks
Sanibel 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

Others should chime in here and correct me, but if you add wheel spacers you are changing the offset and possibly hastening bearing wear. If the rubbing is on the upper dust cover (tube) simply cut it off each shock. I removed mine per another forum member's recommendation to clear the slide out mechanism, but it would serve the same purpose for you. Look also at the possibility of relocating the upper shock mount slightly. I welded some 1/4 " flat steel to the top shock mount to give me another 1/2 inch clearance.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Just cut the covers off. Dirt race cars don't have them and they run it the worse conditions available.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the good information, I will try removing the shock dust covers.
Sanibel 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire