Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #1

Question Tire speed rating

Using 245/70R19.5 J
Speed rating of 62 mph, anyone experienced with this rating actual running on
highway speeds of 70 mph???
Rlynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #2

I realize this is only your second post, so I'll be nice.

There are many threads on here dealing with tires, and how improper tire pressure and temperature lead to blow outs. Of course the victim always blames it on the tire.

Your tire rating is there because that was what your tire will do safety. Any excess speed will add heat to the tire.

The question is, are you willing to risk it. I don't.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlynxgolfer View Post
Using 245/70R19.5 J
Hi your tire is rated at 62 mile/hour do not go any faster than this. Carlisle ST tire have a speed rating of m and n 78 and 82 MPH. good year endurance ST tires have a high speed rating also but have only been around for about 1 year.

More threads can be found by going to the top of the page in the dark green bar. There is a white box with search next to it type what you want to look up in the white box.

The library in the light green bar has a lot of information on how things work and how to take care or fix your RV

Hope this helps Tim .
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:24 AM   #4

Our Maxxis 8008s have a speed rating of 65.

I do 62 because that 3 MPH decrease (5%) equates to a 10%increase in fuel mileage.

MUCH more relaxing to drive when not worried about slowing, speeding up, changing lanes, etc.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:14 AM   #5
"On the road again"

Other considerations - how certain are you that your tire has ALWAYS been 100% properly inflated? Or that your trailer has never been overloaded and weakened the tires.

Or...that you're not going to pick up a nail or screw and cause a slow leak, losing pressure, causing the tire to overheat at normal (safety rated) speeds, much less exceeding them by about 13%.

I believe my Carlisle tires on my previous trailer were rated for 82 mph and my Goodyear Endurance are rated at 87, but I try to maintain 65 so I can enjoy the peace of mind. Even then...things happen that can be costly and frightening.

Going back to the 60's with Simon and Garfunkel - "Slow down, you move too fast. You got to make the morning last. Just kicking down the cobblestones. Looking for fun and feelin' groovy."

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlynxgolfer View Post
Using 245/70R19.5 J
What are you using that tire on?

For RV trailer service the speed rating becomes more important because most trailers are traveling the highways at or very close to their maximum load capacity. A tire with a maximum rating of 3500# and a speed rating of 62 MPH can safely carry that load to 62 MPH. Every MPH above that is going to add unwanted heat to the tire.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

For RV trailer service the speed rating becomes more important because most trailers are traveling the highways at or very close to their maximum load capacity. A tire with a maximum rating of 3500# and a speed rating of 62 MPH can safely carry that load to 62 MPH. Every MPH above that is going to add unwanted heat to the tire.
They posted this on another thread:

Quote:
Just purchased 2006 Dynamax Dynaquest 320 XL.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

X2 I see campers being pulled past me at 70-75 MPH while Im toddling along at 62 (10% better fuel mileage that at 65 MPH) with my 65 MPH rated Maxxis 8008s. Im relaxed and enjoying the scenery hoping I dont see them further down the road with a blowout.

I have seen only one with such a blowout about 7-8 miles further down the road. Maybe the rest were luckier, or had some G rated tires that have a 75 MPH rating.

I don't like trusting to luck

Tags
tire