Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

Tires

I have a 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralight Diamond Edition 5th Wheel that came with 225/75/15C tires. If I upgrade to 225/75/15E will the rims be able to handle the jump from 50psi to 80psi?
jmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

I also upgraded my tires and had this same question. When I called the tire dealer he said that it would be stamped on the inside of the rim. I was unable to find it but when I took it in for new tires they told me that it was alright to do. I know that this isn't much help but if you can't locate the information on the inside of the rim you may have to just have them check before they slap on new tires. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
clr

Wheels must be marked with either the max air pressure or max weight rating. Many times this information is on the back side of the wheel so the wheel has to be removed to view the numbers. If just the weight rating is shown than any tire that can handle up to that weight rating is OK as is the air pressure required to support that weight rating. You would need to look up a air pressure vs weight rating for the size tire that you are looking at. All the major tire brands have this chart available on there web sites. BTW all tires of the same size and load rating will share the same chart. So you could use a Goodyear chart for a off brand if needed. I load rated E tire for example is rated for about 3400 pounds at a max air pressure of 80 PSI. So in this example if the wheel max weight rating is say 3480 pounds the wheel would be able to handle 80 PSI because that air pressure is required to handle that weight. Hope this helps some, this is some what hard to explain in the written word.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #4

Thx for the quick responses!
jmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

An E rated tire in your size will be rated at 2830 lbs.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Wheels must be marked with either the max air pressure or max weight rating.
Sorry, that's not a correct statement.

You can put 571.120 in your computers search engine and read the requirements.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeman View Post
I have a 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralight Diamond Edition 5th Wheel that came with 225/75/15C tires. If I upgrade to 225/75/15E will the rims be able to handle the jump from 50psi to 80psi?
That's a question for the rim manufacturer. The provider of the rims for the OEM sized tire only has to provide rims appropriate for that sized and load capacity tire.

Sometimes OEMs will provide weight and psi information on or inside the wheel. It is not a requirement. They may do it to satisfy a request from the vehicle manufacturer using their products. However, rim/wheel manufacturers must put their name and address on each rim they provide to end users. When in doubt you should call or send an email requesting actual operational specifications.

Tags
tire, tires