Old 11-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Most trailers do not only call for 55 psi. Many call for 65; many call for 80, etc., etc.
Or 110........or 125..........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #22

[QUOTE=johnlochbuie;1966426]You are wrong[/QUOTE
I know he is quite right . you are quite wrong . psi depends on the load rating of the tire . anywhere from 55 psi to 110 psi . most d rated tire are 65 which seem to be a lot of tt's many are 80 psi for e load rated tires like miine so your statement of 55 psi is very wrong
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy10 View Post
Recent discussions of tires have maybe not made me afraid but reinforced my prudence. We got our Surv. 251RK in august and have done a couple of 3 day outings nearby. I had not checked tire pressure as "Matt" said everything was done. You would think a 70 year old with 5 years of RVing would know better. Anyway we should leave for the sunny south in a bit over a week and since it was in the 50s today and may snow on wednesday, why not check tires today. The tires and the helpful sticker say 65 psi. All four of the devils were at 55. So my warning, trust no one. Beyond that I was wondering if the tires were filled in the nice warm dealership shop might that account for the difference? The oracles say 1# for every ten degrees so that doesn't account for it. Has anyone noticed a pattern that would suggest that the factory ships them with low pressure for a reason? OH yeah, one of the valve stem caps was missing. You cannot check to carefully.

Good for you not trusting 'Matt', the sole responsibility for the correct tire inflation lays with the operator. I've had trucks come back from the tire shop with as much as 20psi difference between duals on the same side and not just once!
I don't even trust the sticker on the door or on the side of the trailer or where ever it may be, I always follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the tire that is actually installed which may be very different from the original that the sticker is referring to.
Another interesting observation I have made on this and another forum in regards to tire blowouts is that some run the same "china bombs" for years and never have a problem while others report multiple blowouts in a matter of days, I don't think all these trailers come with underrated tires from the get go.......
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #24

Tires, a misc warning ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramps View Post
I bought a IR Temp device at harbor freight on sale for $19.95. I always check the pressure before I start the truck. I usually stop after the first hour and record the tire and wheel bearing temps. Then at every rest stop I make, usually 2 to 3 hours, I take about 30 seconds to shoot the temp of every tire and bearing again looking for a spike in temp thus showing a potential problem. I also shoot the brake hubs looking for a dragging brake. I don't even have to bend over.
That’s an excellent idea GrumpyGramps. I will be looking for one before next camping season. Sadly, our trailers are in hibernation until May 2019.....
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #25

Quote:
I was going to make a smart comment about the nitrogen in ours which is supposed to hold pressure better. Now it is 55/10 blend.
55 parts nitrogen to 10 parts other (mostly oxygen). Hmmm? Isn't that just normally called AIR?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicoll View Post
I know many campers will take their tv and trailer to the scales and adjust psi of trailer and tv tires based on loaded weights.
That's not an established procedure for RV trailers. It's a bleed-over commercial trailer procedure, not applicable to vehicles manufactured and certified under FMVSS guidance.

It's explained on page 44 of this reference; https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf

New trailers are going to have original equipment tires inflated to a PSI that will provide at least 10% of load capacity above certified GAWR loads found on the certification label.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
That's not an established procedure for RV trailers. It's a bleed-over commercial trailer procedure......New trailers are going to have original equipment tires inflated to a PSI that will provide at least 10% of load capacity above certified GAWR loads found on the certification label.
I disagree and I think your statement could misinform folks new to heavy Class As and trailers. Without having to repeat all the background, if one doesn't know how much their rig actually weighs, it makes sense to air the tires to the max psi embossed on the original tires. Once an RV is loaded, the mfgrs. sticker becomes meaningless, IMHO.

If four tires, for example, can carry 15,000lbs at their rated max psi, but the RV only weighs 13,000lbs, it's absolutely okay to use the tire mfgrs. load table to lower psi accordingly. My FW max is 16,000lbs, on 4 tires rated for 4080lbs each, at max psi 110. Taking away 3000lbs pin weight, I can and should run 95psi according to the tire mfgr.

Lastly, until very recently, RV mfgrs. have installed the cheapest tires they could source, and properly airing the tires has fallen to dealers, or caught by buyers at PDI.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I had two of them...

Neither of them can handle the bigger heavier tires on my 5'ver and just sit there and run...even though they are rated to 120 PSI!

My ryobi does great for this set and walk away to do another task u til it turns off
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I disagree and I think your statement could misinform folks new to heavy Class As and trailers. Without having to repeat all the background, if one doesn't know how much their rig actually weighs, it makes sense to air the tires to the max psi embossed on the original tires. Once an RV is loaded, the mfgrs. sticker becomes meaningless, IMHO.

If four tires, for example, can carry 15,000lbs at their rated max psi, but the RV only weighs 13,000lbs, it's absolutely okay to use the tire mfgrs. load table to lower psi accordingly. My FW max is 16,000lbs, on 4 tires rated for 4080lbs each, at max psi 110. Taking away 3000lbs pin weight, I can and should run 95psi according to the tire mfgr.

Lastly, until very recently, RV mfgrs. have installed the cheapest tires they could source, and properly airing the tires has fallen to dealers, or caught by buyers at PDI.
There is no misinformation there. Read the reference.
On 2nd thought, I'll get a direct quote for you, be right back.

With actual weights of the loaded RV acquired by weighing, it is possible to compare them against the GAWR, GVWR, and tire capacities posted on the vehicle tire placard or certification label. These actual weights are also what should be used to determine any increase in inflation pressure for the tires, if required. See “How to Determine an RV’s Actual Weight” on p. 45.

Inflation pressure recommendations may also be determined based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a given load. These inflation pressures may differ from those found on the vehicle tire placard or certification label.

However, never use inflation pressure lower than specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on the tire sidewall.

Note: It becomes confusing when comparing motorized RVs to RV trailers. The motorized RVs are almost always going to have excess inflation pressure above placard recommendations. That's where the regulations differ a little. RV trailer tires are almost always set at the same PSI as the tire sidewall pressure. That leaves zero room for anything other than what has been recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, which - by the books, so to speak - is the tire's correct inflation pressure.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #30

Having been a CDL motorcoach driver for many years, it is ingrained in me that the Pre-, Mid-and Post-trip inspections are very important for a more problem free trip. I have a checklist reminding me to be sure everything from fluids, leaks, tread depth, tire pressure, doors, etc. is checked
I am always embarrassed for the guy driving down the highway with a storage bay door flapping, a low tire, curtains flying like a flag out the windows, or whatever else hadn't been checked before hitting the road.
oldforester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #31

Quote:
I was going to make a smart comment about the nitrogen in ours which is supposed to hold pressure better. Now it is 55/10 blend.
??? 55/10 ??? That equals 65% is the other 35% vacuum?

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
??? 55/10 ??? That equals 65% is the other 35% vacuum?
It's probably "dark" vacuum, you know...the heavy stuff!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #33

My pick up lost 8 lbs in two weeks with the cold wave that came thru. My vehicles loss a few lbs every fall.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #34
OTH

I check all 4 trailer tires and all 4 truck tires before every trip, and upon arrival. By checking them every time with a digital gauge, it gives me an idea if one of the tires may have an issue. I also check the trailer hubs and tires when I stop for fuel with a digital thermometer. Only takes a minute, and may find a problem before it leaves me stranded. Being overly cautious about tires is perfectly OK.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 PM   #35

I just picked up a new 2018 Rockwood MiniLite from a dealer in Northern Indiana. During the walk through, I asked about the tire inflation pressures and I was told they always set the tire pressures 5 PSI below the recommended pressure. As a retired aircraft mechanic with 48 years experience I know the manufacturer's standards are backed by extensive engineering and research, I tend to follow their recommendations. I know 5 PSI isn't that much but I also don't know what the critical fail point is not being an engineer. I said all to say this, do your own research on critical items to insure your safety.
jcwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwest View Post
I just picked up a new 2018 Rockwood MiniLite from a dealer in Northern Indiana. During the walk through, I asked about the tire inflation pressures and I was told they always set the tire pressures 5 PSI below the recommended pressure. As a retired aircraft mechanic with 48 years experience I know the manufacturer's standards are backed by extensive engineering and research, I tend to follow their recommendations. I know 5 PSI isn't that much but I also don't know what the critical fail point is not being an engineer. I said all to say this, do your own research on critical items to insure your safety.
It's not their call to deviate from the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #37

I checked the on board computer on new dually saw front tires were 85 psi . So when I got home I read the sticker on door surprised to find front was correct but rear was over inflated by 20 psi I thought dealer would have done pre delivery inspection
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires