Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
FLY4FUN

Question Tires...again?!...c'mon!!!

After a LOT of reading and research, I was ready to pull the trigger on a set (4) of new Goodyear Endurance trailer tires for our Apex 22QBS. Frankly, the "made in USA" feature had significant bearing on the decision. So...I stop in to my local and trusted Goodyear tire dealer and he sez "you're thinking that these tires are 'made in America', aren't you?". Yes, I said. Wrongo, he sez -- they're still made in China. I left...tireless.

Now, I have an email into Goodyear corporate via their "contact us" & they indicate a reply can be expect in 48 hours...23 hours and counting & no answer. Is there any way that anyone can point me to a "guaranteed" accurate answer to what seems a simple question: Where in the heck are Goodyear Endurance trailer tires manufactured...really??.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #2

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html
rcrupper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #3

Still made in the USA according to their website.
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...e-trailer-tire
Old 05-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Team

As I remember, GY Marathon manufacturing went offshore but GY Endurance tires are made in the U.S. I think your tire dealer needs some schoolin’.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
As I remember, GY Marathon manufacturing went offshore but GY Endurance tires are made in the U.S. I think your tire dealer needs some schoolin’.
X2.
Find another tire dealer.

Goodyear ENDURANCE ST tires made in the USA.

Goodyear MARATHON ST tires were made elsewhere.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Team

If you want to verify, just go back to the dealer and have him pull one of the endurance tires, if he has them in stock.

Look at the DOT code on the sidewall. The first two letter/numbers (which has been changing to three) will be the code for the manufacturing plant where the tire was produced. These plant codes are freely available on the internet

IIRC, these endurances were being being made in Gadsden , Alabama....but don't quote me on that.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
FLY4FUN

Ordinarily I'd just go down the street and buy elsewhere, assuming that this dealer does, indeed, need some "schooling". At the same time, I'm reminded somehow of the first time I was home after freshman year @ college...couldn't wait to "educate" my old man on new and exciting "facts" from those textbooks (that he was paying for) and the brilliant professors spreading the "truth". A lot of those "truths" ended up being less than "truth". This dealer is a lot like my dad, with a long time relationship and this will be his first "untruth" as far as I know...in a long lifetime of earned respect in the neighborhood. Like most others, he's critical of the old GY Marathons that were, of course, manufactured in China & feels that the Endurance tires are very good ones. As you'd expect, some of my early "research" was reading the Goodyear website and their assurances there that these tires are, indeed, manufactured in the USA. That, combined with substantial gleaning of reported experience from others seems to point to these tires being "good" ones...just maybe among the best today(?). No doubt time & mileage will still tell the tale in coming months/years. Again, while I've just gotta be confident that GY wouldn't fudge the truth to sell tires, I was still at least "delayed" by an unexpected and unsolicited contradiction by someone I'd ordinarily trust without exception. Thanks for the replies, folks -- this isn't a biggie and I'll re-tire the Apex and get on with life...still, a bit of a puzzler.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If you want to verify, just go back to the dealer and have him pull one of the endurance tires, if he has them in stock.

Look at the DOT code on the sidewall. The first two letter/numbers (which has been changing to three) will be the code for the manufacturing plant where the tire was produced. These plant codes are freely available on the internet

IIRC, these endurances were being being made in Gadsden , Alabama....but don't quote me on that.
Same code for mine MD - Gadsden

MDKC A51V 3919
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #9

Just to add a little spice to the mix, remember that Goodyear owns factories all over the world.

The Endurance line may be built here in this country NOW but there's nothing to say they won't switch to one of their other factories in the future. I doubt they'll issue a press release saying they're doing so, they'll just do it when they need "mold capacity" for another line here in the US.

Goodyear built tires for the company I retired from. Amazing how few we received that were made in the US and how many came from Brazil.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #10

I had a similar experience, a Goodyear dealer telling me that they were not as good of a tire then the Hercules brand he had in stock.

I went home to the Goodyear website, ordered them and made an appointment to have them installed but had to travel a little further to a Goodyear store where they only sell Goodyear.

I went back a month later and talked to the manager at the Goodyear dealer, and showed him my invoice. He went and looked at his book and lamented that their "dealer" COST for the Endurance tires was almost what I paid, leaving them almost no profit. He did not have to explain any further to me why they wanted to sell me another brand. That is when I realized there was a difference in dealers and company stores.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I had a similar experience, a Goodyear dealer telling me that they were not as good of a tire then the Hercules brand he had in stock.

I went home to the Goodyear website, ordered them and made an appointment to have them installed but had to travel a little further to a Goodyear store where they only sell Goodyear.

I went back a month later and talked to the manager at the Goodyear dealer, and showed him my invoice. He went and looked at his book and lamented that their "dealer" COST for the Endurance tires was almost what I paid, leaving them almost no profit. He did not have to explain any further to me why they wanted to sell me another brand. That is when I realized there was a difference in dealers and company stores.
Welcome to the tire business.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #12
Site Team

It even gets worse than that with Goodyear and independent dealers. They now sell direct from their website to the end user. Many wholesale distributors have quit carrying Goodyear.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It even gets worse than that with Goodyear and independent dealers. They now sell direct from their website to the end user. Many wholesale distributors have quit carrying Goodyear.
Practices like this decades ago led to the rise of private label tires.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
After a LOT of reading and research, I was ready to pull the trigger on a set (4) of new Goodyear Endurance trailer tires for our Apex 22QBS. Frankly, the "made in USA" feature had significant bearing on the decision. So...I stop in to my local and trusted Goodyear tire dealer and he sez "you're thinking that these tires are 'made in America', aren't you?". Yes, I said. Wrongo, he sez -- they're still made in China. I left...tireless.

Now, I have an email into Goodyear corporate via their "contact us" & they indicate a reply can be expect in 48 hours...23 hours and counting & no answer. Is there any way that anyone can point me to a "guaranteed" accurate answer to what seems a simple question: Where in the heck are Goodyear Endurance trailer tires manufactured...really??.
That dealer is an idiot. Every tire has a code on it that indicates exactly where it was made. Mine were made in the US. I believe in Alabama.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:11 AM   #15

Your tires MUST have a plant code molded on their sidewalls. Tire manufacturers are not going to risk a total recall for plant code misinformation. The reference is a listing of plant codes.

Tire Codes 01-0P

In this picture the first yellow mark is the tire plant code. The second yellow mark is the date the tire was manufactured by week of year and year. The 8D is in list #3 above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3421.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	230149

Every GY Endurance tire I've personally inspected has had a "MD" plant code for Gadsden, AL (USA).
Old 05-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #16

Just purchased new Goodyear Endurance for my camper. They are made in the USA. It says it right on the side of the tire. DOT code PJ Fayetville NC
thelmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #17

Goodyear Gadsden closing

We'll just have to see where Goodyear takes the Endurance manufacturing now that the Gadsden plant closing is being finalized … maybe they will just transfer the production to one of their non-union plants like Lawton OK !?
camperpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #18
FLY4FUN

...continues to be interesting. An email from customer service @ GY RE answering my question on the Endurance Country of manufacture asked for the size of my tires. I'm puzzled why they would need that before they can provide me with an answer. "Nothing difficult is ever easy"
Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #19
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelmuth View Post
Just purchased new Goodyear Endurance for my camper. They are made in the USA. It says it right on the side of the tire. DOT code PJ Fayetville NC
Thanks! What size are your tires?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm puzzled why they would need that before they can provide me with an answer. "Nothing difficult is ever easy"
I suspect that this is being answered by an outside contractor that is employed by a PR agency for GY... they know nothing about the tires, so will have to do some research to find the answer... kinda like the dumb questions they ask at the auto-parts store to sell you a spark plug and they ask you if your truck is a 4 X 4... just gotta answer all the questions on the computer screen before the answer jumps out...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires