Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #21

MH tires are not ST tires used on trailers. The two tires have different rubber components.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoRev View Post
Well, the five year mark is coming up on our Salem 27DBK. It's time to think tires based on forum wisdom. 5 years is the reasonable life of tires. I have Castlerock chinabombs on two axles, and have had no issues with them--checking inflation each trip and running them at recommended PSI. So brand is not the question.
What I am wondering is this, must I change all 4 (5 with the spare) at the same time, or would it be reasonable to do them in pairs over the season. 2 rear and then later 2 front. Or maybe even 2 next spring as year 5 begins, and two the following year so I'm not forking out money for all 4 in the same year.
Well wise people, what are your thoughts and experiences?
Change all 5 at once.... You have been lucky with the China bombs... Time to change brand too.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #23
JCR

Ideally all 4 and a good spare.. But not necessary if you have at least two in very good condition just replacing 2 new at a time is doable. I would keep the newer ones on the back axle. If the fronts fail you can make it to a safe place.Just keep a good spare then replace the other two in the following year, providing future mileage is not excessive .???? Excessive is variable so use good judgement.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #24

Ran the factory china tires for 7 years with no issued. The tires looked great, plenty of tread and only slight weather checking on the sidewalls so opted to replace them with new Goodyear Endurance.
When new tires installed and looked at the old tires, they were 3 years old when installed at the factory!!
The GY Endurance are 10 times the tires of the factory china ones ... roll easier, run cooler and give a more firm feel to the camper.
I changed all 4 at the same time. The spare -- never used so left it stored under the camper where it is out of the sun. May consider changing it out in the near future.

BTW - I had balanced the factory tires and also have the new GY Endurance tires balanced....it does make a difference!!!
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #25

Similar question: Tires are 5 years old with maybe 2K miles on them. Not used for 3 years stored on the ground. Should I replace them before using my trailer?
crbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbound View Post
Similar question: Tires are 5 years old with maybe 2K miles on them. Not used for 3 years stored on the ground. Should I replace them before using my trailer?
With ST (camper) tires - age is more of a factor than the miles on them or the amount of tread remaining.

Where the tires covered to prevent sunlight from hitting them?

Do the tires show weather checking on the sidewalls and/or between the treads?

IMO - 5 years is close to replacement time as 6 years seems to be the maximum recommended time to replace camper tires from what I've read.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbound View Post
I would not hesitate to change them. Sitting for three years is worse than if you used them everyday.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #28

Three years, five, seven, ten, who knows? There was a time when a couple of ST tire mfgrs. recommended three years for their tires. On Class A's and C's, Michelin recommended to start checking their 16" tires at five, and to think about replacement at seven even if they still looked good. Perhaps that's where the six year "rule" came into play, I don't know. And then, the occasional person jumps in reporting their cheap tires are at ten years and going strong.

The bottom line is there's no rule. Tires simply wear or age out depending on their initial construction and their usage (storage or driven, sun or shade). A wise RV'er, IMHO, is well-served by buying the best tire (based on anecdotal evidence), properly maintaining it, and thoroughly examining them for issues.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:08 AM   #29

When purchasing replacement tires, another thing to consider is the locations of selling dealers not only for purchase but for future service.

I thought about Michelins but the closest Michelin dealer is some 300 miles away.

As for Sailun tires, the closest Sailun dealer is 200 miles away.

The Goodyear tires has a dealer locally and their dealership network is far wider and found in nearly every town of any size, including small burbs.

That was a deciding factor in choosing Goodyear Endurance tires over Michelins or Sailun tires. ;-)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #30

i had just made the decision of witch tire to keep for a spare when replacing with new. 2 days later it blew up! the best looking tire. i look at tires everytime we stop. do temperature couple times a day.
bowebow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires