Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I went to Discount tire who immediately assessed the tire as a manufacturer side wall defect and replaced it in minutes. My trip is back on track. I will continue to work with discount tire.

I have the old tire, and will get my $ back from CW.

From a tire biz standpoint, I'm not really understanding this situation. From what I'm ascertaining in your post, Discount Tire immediately told you it was a tire defect, and "sold" you another Goodyear Endurance (I'm assuming)?

If so, did they give a reason why they wouldn't be able to adjust the tire, with it being a manufacturing defect (according to their analysis)?

Since you still have the other tire, it's obvious that Discount Tire did not do any adjustment (which they really could have if they are a Goodyear dealer), even if bought elsewhere. They could have done an adjustment for a manufacturing defect, less the price of mounting and balancing....then sent the tire back to goodyear for adjustment.

Without being privy to all of this, it seems like they may have made the sale, made you happy with what you wanted to hear...but left you to deal with a situation that may not turn out like you think it will.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #22

Appears to be a bulge; I wouldn't drive on it.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Without being privy to all of this, it seems like they may have made the sale, made you happy with what you wanted to hear...but left you to deal with a situation that may not turn out like you think it will.
X2

replacing the tire was the right thing to do... who wants to chance a blowout on the road?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #24

Camping World is one of many national chains that rely on their Brand Name but unfortunately they do not have the corporate infrastructure to protect it.

You can have an excellent experience at one but down the road in another state wonder why you even bothered to turn into their lot. This happens when there are no training standards and the store merely hires from the local "talent" pool and hopes these employees know what they're doing. In many cases they are just people that own a toolbox and know how to remove an old part then install it's replacement. Some are also pretty good at reading the installation instructions for a new A/C unit or Awning but when a problem arises they're clueless.

Having retired from a national corporation with shops from coast to coast I know how hard it is to provide training to all stores, but also know how disastrous it is when there are no standards followed in order to protect a Brand Name.

As for Discount Tire, their people definitely have more tire knowlege than I would expect from Camping World but I also know what motivates them----- selling new tires. Not too interested in adjusting a tire that is a) purchased from a competitor; b) might have a questionable flaw (Factory Defect? User inflicted damage); c) giving the customer a new tire only to have the warranty claim denied by Goodyear upon inspection.

Something else about Discount Tire. Take some time to read their warranty policy. If you buy an extra warranty and have to have a tire replaced under it, you buy another extra warranty on the replacement. Warranty you purchased does not transfer to the replacement tire.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #25

It's still shoddy construction...
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #26

If you hit a pot hole this damage can occur. That would not be a manufacturing defect but a road hazard. Sharp turn over a curb will to the same thing.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
It's still shoddy construction...
Care to elaborate? Do you think tires should be built to sufficient strength to withstand ALL hazards like going through potholes at 60 mph+? Running over obstacles in the road that might have been avoidable if more interval and lower speeds were observed? Hitting curb ends while turning into gas stations and parking lots instead of learning how to turn wider so the trailer can hit the entrance ramp?

Do you think tires for trailers should be built more like this:

which is a tire for a 6X6 MRAP, designed to resist mines and IED's in roads as well as enemy small arms fire? If this is the standard you think should be applied to trailer tires then be prepared to pay around a grand per tire.

Sarcasm aside, the Goodyear Endurance, from what I've seen with my new ones, are probably the best made tire one can buy for a trailer today. Can they fail? Sure, they're man made and anything man makes can fail, even quicker when man subjects the item to stresses it was never intended to withstand.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! Yes I have a bulge, and I don’t worry about indentations. So thinking a bulge is bad, I called Camping World where I bought them the end of March, 2019. They blamed me for hitting the sidewall, even though I didn’t. Hell, my wife hits the sidewalls of her car tires on a weekly basis and never has an issue, so this is BS. I have taken two trips since installed and this was not here after the first trip. The second trip was through LA freeways, hardly a problem for good tires. Basically, CW treated me like some yahoo that was born yesterday and would believe their ever changing line of BS. When pressed, they just said bring it in and maybe they would get to it, but they are busy.

I made it perfectly clear that this was unacceptable. In fact I made it clear that they should be have me on my way with a new tire first thing Monday morning guaranteed. I informed them of my good customer and good sam status, and informed them that I have a long trip beginning next weekend and it is imperative that this is fixed so my family is safe. They did not agree, and I will deal with them accordingly, and they will pay - at least for the tire.

I went to Discount tire who immediately assessed the tire as a manufacturer side wall defect and replaced it in minutes. My trip is back on track. I will continue to work with discount tire.

I have the old tire, and will get my $ back from CW. I only work with people and organizations that have my back when things go wrong, and at this time CW is not one of those organizations. I will speak to corporate Monday and see if we can consider this an unfortunate isolated incident or a peek at the true character of CW.

Since you say Discount Tire said it was a defect and replaced it, I'm assuming you did not pay them for it. If that's true, then you have no beef with CW to get any $$ back.

Now if you had to pay Discount Tire for the new tire, then YES, you should be going back to CW for some $$.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #29

Quote:
What causes tire bubbles?

Tire bubbles are most often caused by high-impact damage, such as hitting a pothole or piece of road debris; running into a curb; driving too fast over speed bumps or railroad crossings; overloading your tire; and driving, even for a short distance, with a flat tire.

The impact that your tire experiences from hitting the foreign object pinches the tire against the rim, which damages the inner liner, forcing air to leak into the body of the tire and causing the bubble to form.

That’s not to say that tire bubbles are never caused by an internal defect in the tire. If an authorized dealer inspects your tire and finds that there’s been no obvious damage due to impact, then there’s a chance that the defect could be covered by your warranty. Every tire manufacturer’s policies and procedures are different, but if you don’t remember subjecting your tires to any high-impact damage, then it could be worth submitting a claim.

Bubbles in the side of your tire aren’t to be confused with sometimes-hard-to-spot bubbles that crop up in your tire’s tread — these tread bubbles usually indicate that your tire has a broken belt.
Regardless don't drive on it.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #30

[QUOTE=Greg in michigan;2134330]I just had 5 new Goodyear endurance tires put on. Went on a 500 mile round trip and noticed about the same thing. I took pictures and when to where I got them. I've got all my tires from this place for the last 24 years and feel they have done right for me.
I showed them the pictures and they pulled out a 3 ring, thick notebook and flipped through it. They came to a page from Goodyear with pictures of the same issue I / you have. It said its a seam ware the belts come together and is only a cosmetic issue and tries can stay in service. After reminding him I been here for 24 years O said I'll trust you but if it has issues I'll be back.

You might mention that you aren't satisfied paying full price for seconds, or blemishes, cosmetic issues, etc. Ask him if he would buy, say, a new car with no paint on one fender. After all, it is "cosmetic".
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Since you say Discount Tire said it was a defect and replaced it, I'm assuming you did not pay them for it. If that's true, then you have no beef with CW to get any $$ back.

Now if you had to pay Discount Tire for the new tire, then YES, you should be going back to CW for some $$.
Discount wouldn't have "adjusted it" and let the customer keep the tire, that is unless the adjustment procedures have changed since I retired from the tire industry.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #32

road hazard

I always buy the road hazard when buying new tires. Just takes all of guess work out. Hit a hole in NY one year and the bulge on the tire was there when returned home , no problem getting the tire replaced. I was in a car.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
I always buy the road hazard when buying new tires. Just takes all of guess work out. Hit a hole in NY one year and the bulge on the tire was there when returned home , no problem getting the tire replaced. I was in a car.

X2 and I hope I waste every penny of the money. DD ex boyfriend works for Discount and that is where I began the relationship. DW had a low tire and I aired it up and sent her to Discount to repair. Tire was damaged and had to be replaced...it cost like $20 for a new tire with free rotation. Come to find out I had road hazard on the tires.

The only thing I have against them is some of their tire wear policies and pair replacements and “replacing” one tire. I know why they do it...I just don’t always agree.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in michigan View Post
I just had 5 new Goodyear endurance tires put on. Went on a 500 mile round trip and noticed about the same thing. I took pictures and when to where I got them. I've got all my tires from this place for the last 24 years and feel they have done right for me.
I showed them the pictures and they pulled out a 3 ring, thick notebook and flipped through it. They came to a page from Goodyear with pictures of the same issue I / you have. It said its a seam ware the belts come together and is only a cosmetic issue and tries can stay in service. After reminding him I been here for 24 years O said I'll trust you but if it has issues I'll be back.
Greg in Michigan
2019 rockwood 2606ws
Nissan titan xd Cummins turbo diesel
Have similar ones in our Goodyear’s.
They were new last summer. Have 12000 miles on time with no issues.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Looks like a sidewall defect so no, I wouldn't put any more miles on it.
The cost to mishap ratio makes it expendable. We're all safer pulling good equipment rather than pushing our luck.
"Innies" are okay, "Outies" not.
rgchrishunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #36

Quote:
This is a new Goodyear Endurance tire with less than 1000 miles on it. It has not had any trauma, including sidewalls trauma. Is this O.K.? Would you tow like this? Thank you to all that reply
I would NOT take it any further than a tire shop!
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Discount wouldn't have "adjusted it" and let the customer keep the tire, that is unless the adjustment procedures have changed since I retired from the tire industry.
I don't understand your comment. I didn't say anything about keeping the tire.

Discount Tire replaced it. The OP either paid them for it, or DT gave him a new one. If he didn't pay anything for the new one, then why would CW owe him any money? If DT charged him a pro-rated amount based on tire wear, MAYBE he could get some money from CW, but I doubt it, as whatever he paid would have been considered equivalent to the miles he's put on it; similar to returning any tire.

If he fully paid for a new tire, then I'd say CW owes him money.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #38
ARLO

If you hit a curb hard enough to damage the tire, it would be scuffed. It may be a sidewall separation. Not very common but does occasionally happens. Take the picture to your local Goodyear store and have them look at it.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #39

No way even if tire people say it good to use have a blow out you could be laying on your side
Scotch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #40

Quote:
This is a new Goodyear Endurance tire with less than 1000 miles on it. It has not had any trauma, including sidewalls trauma. Is this O.K.? Would you tow like this? Thank you to all that reply
I see some sort of flaw on the tread in line with the bulge. Center of picture and up a little. Looks like puncture.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, tire, tires