Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Torsion Axles Failed? 2011 Surveyor SV-264

This past summer I purchased a used 2011 Surveyor SV-264 from a local dealer. While on the road I noticed the wheels looked funny. I am not familiar with torsion axles but thought it may have been just a result of the independent suspension and uneven ground at the time. Now I have it on level cement and these are the pictures of what I have. It doesn't look healthy to me.

https://imgur.com/a/rhqVD
https://imgur.com/a/zP7mD
https://imgur.com/a/CIkd9

Interestingly enough it is the front passenger side (worst) and rare driver side (noticeable but not as bad). Have my axles failed, or possibly the arms on them? Does anyone know the exact replacement axle specs if I need to get new ones. Any thoughts or advice on this issue?

All constructive input appreciated.
Superion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #2

I can't see the pics but generally torsion axles are not repairable. Contact the manufacturer.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #3

It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like the torque arm is straight. It might be a wheel bearing that is badly in need of replacement?
YDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Casey & Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDrive View Post
It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like the torque arm is straight. It might be a wheel bearing that is badly in need of replacement?
2X
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. The axle and the arm itself do look straight but I am not familiar with these and don't know how they fail. I haven't jacked it up yet and had a good look but if it is the bearings that would be awesome. I guess my next step is to do that - pull the wheels off and see what I have. Thanks for the input, additional comments welcome.
Superion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #6

Grab the top of the tire and shake it back and forth as hard as you can. If you have klunk, then yes most likely bearings.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

It is very rare that a rubber torsion axle would fail. I used to be involved with the purchase of them for a former employer that used them for trailers used for field application of fertilizer. They were preferred because other than wheel bearings required zero maintenance and were not affected by fertilizer corrosion as to spring suspension. The photo looks like bearing failure as others have already posted. Let us now what you find.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

X2 or more on what everyone has said about the wheel bearings ~ I got the photos to load and surprised that you could get back home with the TT!! Jack up each wheel and give the tire a shake right & left, top & bottom. If bad bearings, you'll definitely feel and see the results of the man handling!! If one is bad, go ahead and replace all since you mentioned it's a used TT.

Best of luck that's all it is ~~
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Too old to be too smart

They can bend if hitting something hard, and thus be out of alignment. A trailer we bought used had this problem, and we went through a few high-quality tires before I discovered what the problem really was.

A replacement axle is about all that can be done to correct the situation, as no one is willing to accept the liability to bend one back into alignment.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Lot of Variables Here ,are those the Orig.tires,are they Newer with low miles,have the wheel bearings been changed/replaced since 2011? Youroo!!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #11

Did you turn while backing into the spot where the TT is parked? If so, the spindles sometime get "splayed" from the side loading. Pull straight forward and see if the wheels align again.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiveWell View Post
Did you turn while backing into the spot where the TT is parked? If so, the spindles sometime get "splayed" from the side loading. Pull straight forward and see if the wheels align again.
That was my first thought.... Saw a post somewhere where it was recommended to always do a short straight forward/back move to remove the stress caused by turning. To the extent that in one post about using dollies for parking, there was a recommendation that when doing a really sharp turn that you place some plastic bags where the wheels will be rolling to allow them to slide and avoid the severe twisting.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
That was my first thought.... Saw a post somewhere where it was recommended to always do a short straight forward/back move to remove the stress caused by turning. To the extent that in one post about using dollies for parking, there was a recommendation that when doing a really sharp turn that you place some plastic bags where the wheels will be rolling to allow them to slide and avoid the severe twisting.
I saw a "BIG LOAD" Machinery Mover,the kind with 10000 Tires under it do a Sharp 90 turn,the Driver opened a Case of "Ivory Liquid Soap" and gave lots of Helpers bottles! They Squirted it under all the Tires! This was on "Concrete"! Youroo!!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiveWell View Post
X2. With tandems or triple axles, this is the nature of the beast. It appears that when the TT was parked in that position, it was done while the TT and TV were in a somewhat tight turn. The wheels and tires are contorted due to the turn and tire friction not allowing the wheels to maintain their alignment. Note that the front and rear tires are contorting in opposite directions. You will likely see sweeping skid marks to where the trailer was positioned. Your spotter may have mentioned hearing noises from the wheels when turning into position.

I wouldn't fret about a damaged torsion axle just yet. Either of two things can correct this. Connect to the TT and pull straight forward until the wheels come into alignment, then straight back into position. Or, either connect to the TT or block one side, then jack the opposite side until the tires break traction. There is so much tension, that it may make a noise when the tires align. One side done, repeat the process on the opposite side. Both sides should then be in alignment.

In the future, and if possible, once the TT is in alignment for parking, pull straight forward and the straight back before disconnecting. On the road and making a gas/rest stop, try to park straight forward to prevent the tire/wheel tension on the wheels. We have pulled the same tandem axle for 11 years+ and have dealt with this phenomenon. The torsion axles have been fine.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #15

Mine are the same way almost every time I turn the trailer regardless of whether backing or pulling forward. It corrects after a few feet.

Marty
Old 09-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
D W

X2 what everyone else has said. Doubt the problem is a torsion bar problem. Worst case is a bad or loose wheel bearing. Tandems will cant some on turns because they lack fulcrums and trunnions/walking beams.

Now, with that said, what jumped out at me in the pic was the "indoor" flexible gas line plumbing running along the frame. Did the rig come that way? For safety sake that should be black iron pipe. Just sayin'.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2 what everyone else has said. Doubt the problem is a torsion bar problem. Worst case is a bad or loose wheel bearing. Tandems will cant some on turns because they lack fulcrums and trunnions/walking beams.

Now, with that said, what jumped out at me in the pic was the "indoor" flexible gas line plumbing running along the frame. Did the rig come that way? For safety sake that should be black iron pipe. Just sayin'.
Looks to me like it's pipe or hose covered with split loom.
I'm not seeing any "indoor" flex gas line.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Looks to me like it's pipe or hose covered with split loom.
I'm not seeing any "indoor" flex gas line.

No, that's not split loom. In picture #2 you can see where the gas line loops around to the right and comes back and is pinched in between the gas line and the frame to feed the QD.

To me it looks just like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasline.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	152036  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #19
Too old to be too smart

Of course, it could also be copper tubing covered with split loom, which is what it looks like to me.

No matter which it is, it's not "best practice".

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #20

It is split loom. If you look close you can see the split where the rings do not match up.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, axle, led, surveyor