Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Tow max tires

After hearing horror stories about “blow max” tires I replaced mine in 2015 . I did not re place the spare. It is mounted on the rear bumper with a black tire cover. I have never used the spare. Every year I take the cover off and check air pressure before heading south for the winter. This year I didn’t. So with not much else to do today I checked the spare. The date on the spare is 4812. Granted this tire is a little over 6years old, it is unused and has been covered it’s whole life. So I am grateful I discovered this while parked at our place in Yuma and not on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	036418FF-7C32-45CD-827D-9B932C6AB1AD.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	195699   Click image for larger version

Name:	1AAC5592-3B20-4457-91BE-1AA2862899EC.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	195700   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF3A4174-37E5-48D4-BAF4-1C6605CDAFE9.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	195701  
whiteyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

Yikes.

Can that happen from just sitting in the heat?

SHOULD that happen from just sitting in the heat?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Yikes.

Can that happen from just sitting in the heat?

SHOULD that happen from just sitting in the heat?
I had a Tow Max spare that blew out through the tread, spewing the steel radial cords through the hole. It was a spare, like yours, and never touched the road. After sending pictures to Tow Max they sent a new replacement, but I replaced the other four tires with Goodyear Marathons, and eventually Endurance after Goodyear made them available in 14 inch
I simply could not trust the Tow (blow) max tires after that incident. I had a spare on the rear of my Bronco II and kept it 18 years with no blown tires with a black cover (the RV used a white, more reflective, cover) so it shouldn't have blown. It had to be defective.
Roamin Ovum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Yikes.

Can that happen from just sitting in the heat? YES!

SHOULD that happen from just sitting in the heat? Yes!

Just because it's a spare doesn't stop the aging processes. In fact, it often speeds-up the aging processes.

It seems that RV trailer spares age faster when positioned in the vertical than those positioned in the horizontal.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post

It seems that RV trailer spares age faster when positioned in the vertical than those positioned in the horizontal.
Probably because they are under the trailer and out of the sun...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Ovum View Post
I had a Tow Max spare that blew out through the tread, spewing the steel radial cords through the hole. It was a spare, like yours, and never touched the road. After sending pictures to Tow Max they sent a new replacement, but I replaced the other four tires with Goodyear Marathons, and eventually Endurance after Goodyear made them available in 14 inch
I simply could not trust the Tow (blow) max tires after that incident. I had a spare on the rear of my Bronco II and kept it 18 years with no blown tires with a black cover (the RV used a white, more reflective, cover) so it shouldn't have blown. It had to be defective.
Those Goodyear Marathons are just as bad of a tire as the BlowMax tires...

You got lucky with those...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires