Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #41

Sorry, I hit the send button by accident.

I LOVE having a TPMS now. If anything from dragging brakes to a failing tire happen, now I know early enough to do something about it instead of after the fact. I can't see towing without it now.

Mine reads temp, pressure both static and in motion and I had the stems changed to the metal ones at Sears.

Some of the best money I spent for safety and peace of mind.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Five PSI drop seems kind of sensistive for getting an alarm.
If one sets the initial pressures when "cold", it seems the pressures should only go one way, up.

Except for operating on a substantially-colder day, it doesn't seem very likely they would drop below baseline without some kind of leakage, and that's something about which I want to know.

Of course, we could set up a scenario where it COULD happen, but in that case we should be easily able to figure out why the system alarmed, and avoid apprehension.

I may re-think my low-limit trip points, and set them closer to baseline.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
If one sets the initial pressures when "cold", it seems the pressures should only go one way, up.

Except for operating on a substantially-colder day, it doesn't seem very likely they would drop below baseline without some kind of leakage, and that's something about which I want to know.

Of course, we could set up a scenario where it COULD happen, but in that case we should be easily able to figure out why the system alarmed, and avoid apprehension.

I may re-think my low-limit trip points, and set them closer to baseline.

Pop
"set them closer to baseline." is what the Tire Traker manual suggests.

And of course remenber what ever your baseline setting is, that setting is what sets off your alarm if and when the psi drops below that.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Just finished our trek from Orlando from 20 miles south of Savannah, GA to Concord, NC. Temp @ start 77°, pressures 62#, after reaching Columbia, SC temps were pass. side 111°, 70#, driver side 109°, 68#. Ambient temp 99°.

That's it for camping for a while, at least a week or two. Have to make some awning tie downs for a fellow in FL and 2 or 3 more sets just in case.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #45

I set the baseline to 55 psi for the max. That way the % drop is a little higher (lower psi, am I saying this right) in other words I get notified a little sooner when psi drops. 5 psi drop seems quite a bit IMO as a higher psi as when tires are running seems not to be too much of a problem. I just am a little worried about lower psi. After all, NASCAR(not a huge fan) worries about 1/2 - 1 1/2 psi.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I set the baseline to 55 psi for the max. That way the % drop is a little higher (lower psi, am I saying this right) in other words I get notified a little sooner when psi drops. 5 psi drop seems quite a bit IMO as a higher psi as when tires are running seems not to be too much of a problem. I just am a little worried about lower psi. After all, NASCAR(not a huge fan) worries about 1/2 - 1 1/2 psi.
From my limited use of the TST system, going from Concord, NC to Orlando, FL and back, our tires gained about 10-12#, I had originally set the upper at 59# and the alarm went off in about 40 miles. Reset to 65# (15# over cold) and min. @ 5# under cold (55#).

Had an interesting thing happen in FL, I loosened the sensors to save the batteries and when we had the trailer washed & waxed, evidently the guy that washed the wheels bumped a sensor and after 3 days, the tire was flat. Lesson learned, remove the sensors completely. Had made a storage box for them, but too lazy to use it. Have updated the box from this picture to hold the new 507 sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01112.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	15912  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #47

dunnc - I did not know the TST system was using power while not moving. Tire Minder seems to do fine and I am on original battery set 9 months to date. TST is (IMO) a better system but I bought the TM when I needed it and it has been very good. As far as I am concerned it more than paid for itself when I got the nail in the RR TT tire last week, as explained a few posts earlier. Somes better than none.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #48
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
dunnc - I did not know the TST system was using power while not moving. Tire Minder seems to do fine and I am on original battery set 9 months to date. TST is (IMO) a better system but I bought the TM when I needed it and it has been very good. As far as I am concerned it more than paid for itself when I got the nail in the RR TT tire last week, as explained a few posts earlier. Somes better than none.
I quizzed TST and was told the batteries will last 12 months being used 24-7.

Not knowing this, I removed them when we were in FL. When we got home, I removed them again as we will not be using the trailer for a few weeks and see no reason to have them draining the batteries. Made a box for them and store in trailer when not in use.

Will pick up 4 new batteries just for spares and carry those also in the box.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #49

My 507 TST system paid for itself on the weekend as well and it wasn't even our tires...
A bunch of 5th wheel haulers ripped by me at about 70 mph and as I crested a small hill I saw chunks of tire still smoking.
got to the second hill and there it was. A 5'er on the side of the road with an older couple looking not so happy.
So I did what I would normally do - drove past them and - safely stopped about 500 feet in front of them.
We walked back and noticed that they had no jack, no jack stand and no SPARE TIRE ?

The trailer prosession they were with carried on in to the next town - unhitched and were returning with a spare.
In the mean time we used my 12 ton bottle jack and 3 ton stand, jacked it up and removed it.
The inside looked a bit like an exploded roadside bomb had gone off. Chip board, rubber, flooring everywhere. And the smell...
OMG the smell.

Anyway while driving back the remainder of the trip home my wife kept an eye on the pressures and temps. One less worry for us as this was the first trip with the TPMS working flawlessly.