Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #41

OK...as the OP, let me first say thank you to all contributors of this thread. It has been very enlightening to me and I appreciate the schooling and opinions.

The biggest takeaway from the thread is the unfounded expectation I had re: being alerted about a missing tire. I now understand the functionality does not exist and agree that other measures, i.e., utilizing a proper lug nut checking regimen should be enough to prevent such occurrences. Apologies to TireTraker for making posts sound as if their product was inferior since it did not have this functionality.

I've ordered and received a new matching wheel and hub cover and will be mounting a new GY Endurance on it within the week. I'll order another TPMS sensor and keep my existing unit for now. I will be monitoring other TPMS systems for an upgrade in the future as improvements are developed.

After researching Dexter axles, I see that the broken lug can be pressed out of the hub/drum and a new one pressed in. I'll be repairing this soon. Also, I plan to use a die to clean up the threads of the existing 1/2-20 studs.

Thanks again to all.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #42
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
OK...as the OP, let me first say thank you to all contributors of this thread. It has been very enlightening to me and I appreciate the schooling and opinions.

The biggest takeaway from the thread is the unfounded expectation I had re: being alerted about a missing tire. I now understand the functionality does not exist and agree that other measures, i.e., utilizing a proper lug nut checking regimen should be enough to prevent such occurrences. Apologies to TireTraker for making posts sound as if their product was inferior since it did not have this functionality.

I've ordered and received a new matching wheel and hub cover and will be mounting a new GY Endurance on it within the week. I'll order another TPMS sensor and keep my existing unit for now. I will be monitoring other TPMS systems for an upgrade in the future as improvements are developed.

After researching Dexter axles, I see that the broken lug can be pressed out of the hub/drum and a new one pressed in. I'll be repairing this soon. Also, I plan to use a die to clean up the threads of the existing 1/2-20 studs.

Thanks again to all.
If the remaining studs have threads that need 'cleaned up' they've likely been compromised/stressed to the point of needing replaced. If you are getting one, get the rest and be safe rather than sorry.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post

Thanks again to all.
Sounds like a SOLID plan to me!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #44
Truck System Technologies Rep

TST TPMS

Sounds good to me. If you ever have any questions regarding the TST TPMS, feel free to contact me anytime.

Good Luck!

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Sounds good to me. If you ever have any questions regarding the TST TPMS, feel free to contact me anytime.

Good Luck!

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
Mike, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I will definitely keep TST in mind just because of your willingness to be so approachable on this forum...that goes a long way.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #46

I just got my brakes, bearings and drums replaced. The shop told me that I had the wrong lug nuts installed. The factory installed steel nuts on aluminum rims. The steel nuts have the wrong bevel and don’t seat properly and in trying to tighten them to spec it is very easy to damage the lug and/or the rim. Just speculation on my part but I’m wondering if this has contributed to broken lugs. I looked at the lugs in the hubs that were removed and a number of them were stretched.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyantique View Post
I just got my brakes, bearings and drums replaced. The shop told me that I had the wrong lug nuts installed. The factory installed steel nuts on aluminum rims. The steel nuts have the wrong bevel and don’t seat properly and in trying to tighten them to spec it is very easy to damage the lug and/or the rim. Just speculation on my part but I’m wondering if this has contributed to broken lugs. I looked at the lugs in the hubs that were removed and a number of them were stretched.

Sounds like a SAFETY issue.
1. Report the problem to the Rv company and advise you want new aluminum wheels with the correct lug nuts.

2. File a complaint with NHTSA

3. Be aware that the use of the wrong lug nuts would distort the holes in the wheel meaning the correct nuts will not fit properly.

The use of incorrect nuts meant the peoper torque could not be applied or mantained. All the studs, all the nuts and All the wheels need to be replaced.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #48

I already took care of mine. Just posted this as a warning to others that there is a good chance you have the same set up. I was told this is a common error made by the RV manufactures when they upgrade from steel to aluminum. The shop that did my maintenance says he sees this frequently. Check yours or not, I was just passing along a bit of safety advice. Take it or leave it.
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
https://eezrvproduct.com/

I have used this for 3 years, no complaints. Alerts to loss of signal by a beep every (estimated) 30 seconds.

Yes even when the batteries go out.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, tpms