Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #21

All high performance cars have metal stems....for a reason. My Porsche GT3 is rated at 198mph with metal stems. Personal choice of rubber vs. metal. Just note that there are many complaints of rubber valve stems flexing and leaking. As far as I know, zero complaints with metal ones flexing and leaking. Just sayin...
Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #22
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'm not quite sure why there are so many here in the chats that don't want to switch to the metal valve stems.

They are much stronger than rubber stems...and aren't that expensive!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Add on TPMS sensors, unlike OEM sensors are on the end of the stem instead of inside the tire/wheel assy. Steel stems will give a lot quicker indication of heat buildup from an overloaded tire or dragging brake.
While some on here are disagreeing with this observation, I do agree... metal will move heat quicker then rubber, and why not add strength to the stem.

5-6 years ago I did have a rubber stem fail on my tow vehicle while driving on the freeway... first time I have ever had that kind of an issue. No more rubber stems for me if I can help it. I now have metal stems on both TV and trailer and I do use the flo-thru sensors.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Needs to be metal stems. Anyone using non reinforced rubber stems is an accident waiting to happen.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'm not quite sure why there are so many here in the chats that don't want to switch to the metal valve stems.

They are much stronger than rubber stems...and aren't that expensive!

It is just they are too cheap and know more than anyone else. TMPS I bought said metal where necessary to prevent failure due to sensor weight.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
While some on here are disagreeing with this observation, I do agree... metal will move heat quicker then rubber, and why not add strength to the stem.
You do realize that there is no metal to metal contact between the metal stem and the wheel right? For the most part, the sensor is picking up the radiant heat from the wheel. Even the rubber valve stem has a piece of metal that extends down the stem.

I put metal valve stems on my TT when I bought new tires, I use the non flow through but took off the security cap. That way, airing up tires takes the same amount of time as the flow through and less weight since I also use my sensors on a boat trailer with rubber valve stems. I don't see any difference in heat measured between the rubber and steel valve stems.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #27
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'd say its a matter of personnel preference. I use the rubber and have removed the anti thief outer portion and so the TST is not any more over berrying. No issues in 2 years and 10000 miles traveling. And I don't drive 70mph with my tt anyway. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You do realize that there is no metal to metal contact between the metal stem and the wheel right? For the most part, the sensor is picking up the radiant heat from the wheel. Even the rubber valve stem has a piece of metal that extends down the stem.

Uhh, Is what I emboldened in red possibly a typo of sort?

If you are somehow possibly referring to the small rubber grommet that goes in the valve hole from inside the wheel,that may keep the inside of the clamp-in stem from making direct contact with the wheel.... the nut and/or washer on several types that goes on the outside does make direct contact with the wheel.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Uhh, Is what I emboldened in red possibly a typo of sort?

If you are somehow possibly referring to the small rubber grommet that goes in the valve hole from inside the wheel,that may keep the inside of the clamp-in stem from making direct contact with the wheel.... the nut and/or washer on several types that goes on the outside does make direct contact with the wheel.
On most of the ones I see including the ones I have on my trailer have a rubber gasket on the outside as well between the nut and the wheel. The ones at the tire store I had my tires mounted at had a selection of stems and ALL had gaskets on both sides. I know there are a few that don't have that but I wouldn't use those. Way more chance of leakage. I know you are a tire guy. You don't have a preference to use ones with rubber on both sides? I am in a motorcycle blog and this comes up regularly. The consensus is to ONLY use metal valve stems with rubber on both sides.

https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...EaAjN2EALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Metal-.../dp/B001KNYR78
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
On most of the ones I see including the ones I have on my trailer have a rubber gasket on the outside as well between the nut and the wheel. The ones at the tire store I had my tires mounted at had a selection of stems and ALL had gaskets on both sides. I know there are a few that don't have that but I wouldn't use those. Way more chance of leakage. I know you are a tire guy. You don't have a preference to use ones with rubber on both sides? I am in a motorcycle blog and this comes up regularly. The consensus is to ONLY use metal valve stems with rubber on both sides.

https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...EaAjN2EALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Metal-.../dp/B001KNYR78
You are talking about what is referred to as an Enkei type. They are more for specialty type wheels, and are for cosmetic.

No, I do not like them, as I have previous threads on this subject matter. And from a tire business perspective, they are not the most common.

Your second amazon link is not for an Enkei stem. It's for the more common TR-416 one. You see the two grommets in the pic, but you only use one on the inside of the rim and trash the second. The two grommets are for two different valve stem hole diameters. You just use the one that fits yours, usually the .453

Again, I have several threads on that too.

Here are better pics of that type TR-416 stem (which is the more common) and you can see the two different size stem hole grommets that come with it separate from each other.

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/d...-c28-vs902cr50

https://shop.myerstiresupply.com/ERP...entId=00027987

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAJTEFW..._t3_B00I5DLTAE

My reason for preferring the TR416 is that I do see more Enkei type stems come in leaking than the TR416 kind.

As far as two wheelers go (and my avatar shows mine), the Enkei's may work better, depending on the rim and valve hole placement. I don't encounter that one though, as we don't work on motorcycle tires, and my personal pig has spokes and tubes. LOL

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #31

I have metal valve stems on my Cedar Creek fifth wheel with G614 tires and rubber stems on my truck. I can’t tell any difference, never had a problem with the truck or trailer stems. I have TST 507 and I took the locks off to make the sensors lighter
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #32

I have a Sunseeker 2016 MBS2400W and have experienced 2 tire failures due to tire stem failure. I installed after market TPMS which gave no alert in advance of the failure. I’m having problems finding the right size metal clamp in tire stems to fit the Sprinter 3500 wheels. Does anyone have a part number or reference that would help?
Mark Foote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #33

TST-507:
Do many have problems with the security caps locking up? They do not free spin on sensor. What is the point of the security caps in this case?
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #34

Prior to my TST-507 install, i never had a problem with tires/valve stems. After install I had several rubber stems fail. I switched to High PSI rubber stem. I had 2 fail only after a year but I think it was vandalism. Stems were only 1 yr old. I experimented and kicked the rubber HP stems. They did not break. So I attributing it to vandalism. I heard a loud bang as someone messing with my truck. 1 mile down the road 1st stem failed. 30 minutes later 2nd one failed. It seemed they were cut.
So I replaced with metal stems to remove all concerns.....
Old 06-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #35

Flow through sensor TPMS

I installed the Tire Safeguard system with flow through sensors. I believe my failures were due to the excessive weight of the sensors creating stress on the tire stems. I had all the tire stems replaced. The heavy duty clamp in metal stems won’t seal on the Mercedes sprinter 3500 wheels due to the angle of the stem hole in the wheel. The stem extenders then put stress on the stem from the wheel pushing on them causing eventual failure. Doesn’t seem to be abpoblem with the back dualies. I will switch to TPMS caps with much less weight.
Mark Foote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfMcFroggierPod View Post
Prior to my TST-507 install, i never had a problem with tires/valve stems. After install I had several rubber stems fail. I switched to High PSI rubber stem. I had 2 fail only after a year but I think it was vandalism. Stems were only 1 yr old. I experimented and kicked the rubber HP stems. They did not break. So I attributing it to vandalism. I heard a loud bang as someone messing with my truck. 1 mile down the road 1st stem failed. 30 minutes later 2nd one failed. It seemed they were cut.
So I replaced with metal stems to remove all concerns.....

I doubt that a single or even a few "kicks" to a HP stem will "break" it. It is long term vibration and heat that can fail the hP rubber stem. Check my blog post on valve stems.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #37

Tampered w/fuel door the night before failures. To coincidental that two failed. The other 2 under the deep slide out did not fail. All stems only a year old. Per mfg these stem are fine but seems to be a lot of conflicting info about this subject. I would love to see a video of valve stems as they roll down the highway. I’m sure the mfg probably tested the product.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Tampered w/fuel door the night before failures. To coincidental that two failed. The other 2 under the deep slide out did not fail. All stems only a year old. Per mfg these stem are fine but seems to be a lot of conflicting info about this subject. I would love to see a video of valve stems as they roll down the highway. I’m sure the mfg probably tested the product.

Valve stem mfg has probably not had any reported problems because use of aftermarket TPMS is way below 0.0% given there are probably a few hundred million stems made a year.

It is a combination of bending and vibration that is causing the failure. Every revolution might slightly different speed than the next and certainly as you speed up or slow down the vibration rate changes. also every bump you hit changes the forces.
Even with no variation in speed or bumps the centripetal force is about 14 pounds trying to bend the valve stem. I will write a blog post with the math.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 07-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #39

I just find it odd that 2 failed and 2 did not. Wheels spin in same direction, same speed, they are of the same age -1yr, wheels are balanced. The sensors only add 1/2oz...
Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
I just find it odd that 2 failed and 2 did not. Wheels spin in same direction, same speed, they are of the same age -1yr, wheels are balanced. The sensors only add 1/2oz...

In any manufactured product there is variation. A tire can have 15 to 25 different components some rubber components may have a dozen different chemicals from different suppliers.

Loads on each tire are different.The size and number of potholes each hits is different.

Why don't all siblings die at the same time on the same day? They had the same parents?

What do/did you do when you worked? Is every item you made or worked on identical? Why not?

The reason that all tires do not fail at the same time is obvious once you stop and think about it.

Tags
tpms, valve