Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Take a look at this post on Pot Hole and tire failures.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #42

My problems with the valve stems started after adding the TPMS sensors / CAP style. Per the mfg rubber stems are fine with this sensor. So I switched to the HP rubber stems. We still had stem failures. It can not be proven but due to circumstances it seems obvious tampering was done. (We shall never return to that CG) I just changed all valve stems to metal stems hoping this will solve the problems due to vibrations as explained. If I have another stem failure I will remove the TPMS system because this is when all the failures started. We can not validate things w/o further expense like security cameras and QC seems to need improvements. Prior I would wear tires out. Never any failures. We use GY Marathons or Towmax brand. It really sucks changing a tire along a highway as traffic is flying past you...some dangerous situations.
We have been camping for 19 yrs. Topic: valve stems failures turns into tire destroyed.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:46 AM   #43

If you have steel valve stems, how are you going to cut off the GPS tracker?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6894.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	232908
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #44

Love those 5g conspiracy theorist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
If you have steel valve stems, how are you going to cut off the GPS tracker?

Attachment 232908
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #45

Never a problem because I removed the stupid things. My understanding is that they don't come with them anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfMcFroggierPod View Post
TST-507:
Do many have problems with the security caps locking up? They do not free spin on sensor. What is the point of the security caps in this case?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #46

YUP mine work good and no leaks plus the inside long stems are supported so they do not break off!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #47

Goodyear Endurance tires with TST 507 cap sensors. All Four wheels have marks on them from where the caps are hitting the wheels. We had a valve stem fail on one of them today and I was not happy having to put on the spare roadside. Not quite back home yet, but will be removing all the cap sensors in the morning. We won't reattach them until we have metal valve stems installed. Anyone know what brand/size works on Rockwood Ultra Lites (2018 2906ws)? Load range E @ 80 psi. btw the lug nuts on the spare are a different size than are used on the wheels! Why? Ok, done complaining now. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #48

I’m looking to buy a TPMS so recommendations welcomed. I will change to metal stems when I do. On my tractors and off road trucks i have shearwd off several metal valve stems. The rubber most likely would have stayed in tacked. But in this application the metal stems would be best. They don’t flex, heat affects them less and are not prone to letting go quickly like rubber stems do when the age. Metal stems have rubber seals do they can still degrade and leak but it takes years to happen.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
I’m looking to buy a TPMS so recommendations welcomed. I will change to metal stems when I do. On my tractors and off road trucks i have shearwd off several metal valve stems. The rubber most likely would have stayed in tacked. But in this application the metal stems would be best. They don’t flex, heat affects them less and are not prone to letting go quickly like rubber stems do when the age. Metal stems have rubber seals do they can still degrade and leak but it takes years to happen.
The post above yours has my recommendation although I use flow-through sensors on my metal stems.
If you do a Search for TPMS, you'll find 20+ threads with TPMS recommendations.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
Assuming replacing the stems with metal involves dismounting the tire, consider internal sensors. The fact you can't change the batteries and that they're more expensive are negative points, but they can't be stolen and the batteries (supposedly) last a long time.

The reason FR uses internal sensors is to avoid theft in dealer lots, not because they're better.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #51
Moosehead Dad

Thumbs up Metal Valve Stems

FYI, I recently added a TPMS to my 5th wheel and truck. I wanted to have Metal valve stems installed, so went to Discount Tire. I had purchased eight(10) TR-416 metal valve stems from OReillys. Then, Discount Tire replaced all of the valve stems on the 5th wheel and truck including the spares at 'No Charge'. Very happy...... but not traveling due to Corvid.
bbmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #52

I have camped for 20 years. First 15 NO tpms and no failures. I put on the tpms system and have had multiply rubber valve stem failures; both standard and hi psi stems. I switched all wheels to metal stems No problems now
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #53
Commercial Member

An observation. When asked about what brand of TPMS, I usually respond that you should purchase from sellers that know what an RV is and that if they are competent and knowledgeable they will advise that metal bolt in stems are strongly recommended. I have posted pictures and video on my blog showing why metal stems are a good choice. People also need to remember that standard "snap-in" rubber valve stems should be replaced every time you get a new tire.

If you just buy from a "Big Box" or eBay you are unlikely to get any real support. I also suggest you consider the length of warranty. Personally I prefer a Lifetime Warranty and you don't have to pay more to get that.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms, valve