Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #1

TPMS vs. tire gauge

I have the Eezee TPMS on my C class and works well, tho it typically registers about 5 lbs higher than my tire gauge, which is a good quality pencil style, which I guess is not as accurate as a dial or digital gauge. Which readout should I assume is most accurate, gauge or TPMS?
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Brake is on left

I would trust the TPMS over a pencil gauge. My go-to for years has been Accugauge.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkro View Post
{snip}...Which readout should I assume is most accurate, gauge or TPMS?
Neither. I would invest in a good gauge like an Accu-gage or JACO (among others) and go from there.

FWIW, my TST 507 system has a published accuracy spec of +/- 3 psi and +/- 3º for each valve stem sensor. So, if the tires are set to an accurate 65 psi inflation, each valve stem sensor may report anywhere from 67 psi to 63 psi. Of course, the values will change as the tire heats-up. From this example, you can see that the priority is on having an accurate gauge.

Before setting-off and while the tires are "cold", I check inflation with my gauge to ensure all tires are at 65psi. I then climb in the truck and fire-up the TPMS and let it acquire the signals from all sensors. The "cold" TMPS-derived pressures/temps are written on a piece of painter's tape and affixed to a visor (in a layout that mimics the tire positions). If a tire's pressure or temperature seems high, I have the passenger cross-check the value with the one on the painters tape and call out the difference.

Mostly, though, I tend to rely on the alert features of the TPMS (as long as they have been set up correctly).

YMMV

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tpms