Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Trailer brake adjustment

Recently installed a P3 break controller in my Tacoma equipped with a tow package. I have a Rockwood 2503S trailer. I set the controller output to 6.0v and applied the full manual breaks thru the controller with out applying Tow Vehicle breaks. The trailer breaks work but are kinda weak. I punched the voltage up to 7 and they are still weak. I eventually punched up the output to 12v and still weak. They never "locked up" as they discuss in the P3 manual. Using the P3 trouble shooting feature I checked the output current to the breaks. At 6.0v I got 2.9A at 12v I measured 11A. Any ideas as to why my trailer breaks are not performing like they should? Thanks
RJHaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHaile View Post
Recently installed a P3 break controller in my Tacoma equipped with a tow package. I have a Rockwood 2503S trailer. I set the controller output to 6.0v and applied the full manual breaks thru the controller with out applying Tow Vehicle breaks. The trailer breaks work but are kinda weak. I punched the voltage up to 7 and they are still weak. I eventually punched up the output to 12v and still weak. They never "locked up" as they discuss in the P3 manual. Using the P3 trouble shooting feature I checked the output current to the breaks. At 6.0v I got 2.9A at 12v I measured 11A. Any ideas as to why my trailer breaks are not performing like they should? Thanks
Your Brakes need to be adjusted if your Rockwood unit is "NEW or Old" also if your unit is NEW the Burnishing procedure needs to be completed! Youroo!!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Your Brakes need to be adjusted if your Rockwood unit is "NEW or Old" also if your unit is NEW the Burnishing procedure needs to be completed! Youroo!!

This is a pre-owned 2016 Rockwood 2503S. Barley used. I was told these are self adjusting breaks. This feature may not be working properly I suppose?? Where can I find more information on trouble shooting the breaks and also on "burnishing " the breaks...

Thanks
RJHaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
This is a pre-owned 2016 Rockwood 2503S. Barley used. I was told these are self adjusting breaks. This feature may not be working properly I suppose?? Where can I find more information on trouble shooting the breaks and also on "burnishing " the breaks...

Thanks
From "Dexter" full Info! They have a Booklet they pass out at Goshen Rally! Youroo!!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Site Team

I think you're best bet would be to pull all the hubs and visually inspect the brakes and bearings. You never know what kind of shape they're in. And you may even find that there's grease on the brake shoes.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks
Best thing I did was remove the self adjusters and installed the manual adjuster and spring. Adjust them myself. Got tired very quick of breaks either over tightening or not adjusting at all. As mentioned the best and safest thing is to periodically pull the wheels and check bearings and brakes. Sorry, but there is no short cuts to maintenance on an RV. Better to expend little effort before hand than be stuck on the side of a highway with a failure.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks
The key is "barely used". Brakes often need a wear in period to provide max friction. With electric brakes it's not just the brake shoes on the drum that need to wear in properly, but also the face of the magnet where it contacts the side of the drum. If the "puck" isn't getting full grip against the plate, actuation pressure will be low and if the shoes aren't gripping the drum it will feel like you don't have good brakes.

Also, I have had trailers that would never "lock up" on pavement. Traction was too good but I could feel adequate trailer braking to complement the normal braking of the tow vehicle itself. I used to test my brake settings on a dirt road. That's where I didn't want them to lock up for sure.

BTW, have you played with the "Boost Settings yet". They will enhance the "feel" of your overall braking experience by giving you a larger percentage of trailer braking when you activate the tow vehicle brakes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

Def play with boost settings you're probably set on "B1" you should try "B2".

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer