Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

Trailer shell shifted on I-beam frame

I am in my fifth season with our 21' MicroLite. Just noticed there is something going on with how the shell of the camper is attached to the I-beams. Looking at YouTube construction videos my trailer appears to be built like most - two I-beams down the middle with triangle shaped wings welded on to get out to the full 8' width. Most of the 10 bolts on the outside perimeter are bent, some have loose nuts. The worst one actually has the nut missing and the metal wing bent. The angle of the bent bolts suggest a large force from hard braking but I don't recall anything unusual. Anyone else experience anything similar? I am going to try and straighten out the bent wing and of course stay on top of keeping the nuts torqued down. Any point in taking it to the dealer this fall? Nothing else seems out of place - no crooked door frames, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bent frame and bolt.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	256967   Click image for larger version

Name:	bent bolt.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	256968  
HudsonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
Always Learning

Is the rest of the frame straight and true? Frame failures aren't super uncommon.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #3

Are all bolts like that? If it's just a couple it could be the give-a-damn level on the assembly line that day.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
D W

The way that gusset is bent down like that would indicate there was severe stress from the body, such as a sharp turn on an incline.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #5

Update to tipped bolts

Thanks for the input everyone - I think those are all possibilities. I also have had more bumpy roads this year than usual. An update to fixing the issue. I was able to straighten out the bent gusset and thread a nut back on. I will try taping on the other "tipped" bolts tomorrow to see if they will go closer to straight. Only 5 out of the 10 are tipped. Guess I will have to keep a close eye on everything. We were planning on a camper upgrade next year anyhow - now we have a better reason to do that.
HudsonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonDave View Post
Thanks for the input everyone - I think those are all possibilities. I also have had more bumpy roads this year than usual. An update to fixing the issue. I was able to straighten out the bent gusset and thread a nut back on. I will try taping on the other "tipped" bolts tomorrow to see if they will go closer to straight. Only 5 out of the 10 are tipped. Guess I will have to keep a close eye on everything. We were planning on a camper upgrade next year anyhow - now we have a better reason to do that.
if possible trade it in.or I be contacting forest river there No reason that to happen
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #7

I had a problem with my 2019 with the sink caving in. I took it back to best choice of Irwin PA and they fix it with no problem.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, ram, trailer