Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

TST Tire Monitor System Programming Problem

I am not sure if this is the right forum for my question but here goes. We purchased a Rockwood Mini Lite that came with the TST Tire Monitoring System. I have been trying to program the monitor. I have followed the directions 4 times now and every time I try to set the individual tire code for each tire the 2 driver side and the 2 passenger side tires keep having the same code. When I complete the set up the monitor only shows that I have one tire on each side of our TT. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this issue?
Almostblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #2

Do you have the sensors installed on the tires? When I tried to program mine, I ended up calling TST for help. The Tech had me put the sensor I was trying to program right next to the display module, which allowed everything to be programmed correctly.

2019 Ford F350 Lariat 6.7
Rich1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #3

Thanks, I just tried it again, for the 5th time but this time I actually moved the monitor farther away from the tires and it worked. It immediately showed that my passenger side tires are below the recommended <10% level. Now I need to figure out how to fill the Nitrogen Goodyear's that came with the trailer.
Thanks again
Old 08-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Don't worry about nitrogen. Air from a regular compressor is 78% nitrogen. Your tires will never know the difference.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:50 PM   #5

What bob213 said ... now if you own an airplane and need to top off a tire, go nitrogen. You'll never realize a difference with your Mini Lite.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Now I need to figure out how to fill the Nitrogen Goodyear's that came with the trailer.
You don't know HOW MANY veteran RVers on this forum had a smile cross their face when they read this line...

Bob213 told you the truth about nitrogen...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #7
TRD

Youtube has videos of how to install and configure the TST systems. Search youtube.. or Google "how to setup TST"
2018-12 days/2019-83 days/2020-12
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1961 View Post
Do you have the sensors installed on the tires? When I tried to program mine, I ended up calling TST for help. The Tech had me put the sensor I was trying to program right next to the display module, which allowed everything to be programmed correctly.

I just recently programed TWO different TST systems, a B&W and my new color monitor for the DP and toad.

THE ONLY way I could get them to program is with sensors removed and laying on my table with me. Then with group three feet away I could get each sensor to register. Each monitor had a different sweet spot where it actually had to be touching the sensor and bingo, once you find the spot is was easy
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
You don't know HOW MANY veteran RVers on this forum had a smile cross their face when they read this line...

Bob213 told you the truth about nitrogen...
We have fun talking about nitrogen on this forum, don't we?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I just recently programed TWO different TST systems, a B&W and my new color monitor for the DP and toad.

THE ONLY way I could get them to program is with sensors removed and laying on my table with me. Then with group three feet away I could get each sensor to register. Each monitor had a different sweet spot where it actually had to be touching the sensor and bingo, once you find the spot is was easy
Yes, same way I did mine.

2019 Ford F350 Lariat 6.7
Rich1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #11

I did the same. Programmed all 10 before installing. Separated the sensor being programmed by about 10' from the other sensors. The head cannot "see" other sensors while programming.
A note to the wise, use a permanent marker on each sensor so their positions are identifiable.
Pulling them during off season will, in effect, turn them off and preserve the batteries.
The TST seems a great unit. Going on two years and no battery issues. And none stolen yet....?
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #12

Well let me say that as a new RV'er and new to F.R. Forums I am happy that my question amused the veteran RV'ers and I really appreciate all the info. I will not worry about the nitrogen in my tires, that is good advice. I am flattered that everyone took time to help me. Thanks and I am sure I will be back with more questions.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
I did the same. Programmed all 10 before installing. Separated the sensor being programmed by about 10' from the other sensors. The head cannot "see" other sensors while programming.
A note to the wise, use a permanent marker on each sensor so their positions are identifiable.
Pulling them during off season will, in effect, turn them off and preserve the batteries.
The TST seems a great unit. Going on two years and no battery issues. And none stolen yet....?
Probably do not have to separate them by 10 ft. When I first got my sensor set for my trailer about 8 years ago the batteries went dead in a year and I called TST not only to order batteries and seals but to ask them about the batteries going dead.

What they told me is when you remove the sensor from the valve stem and take away the pressure, the sensor basically turns itself off and does not use battery.. now I'm pretty adept at changing batteries so I don't very often take them off because between the motorhome and the toad I have 10 and it's a pain. But I'm sure the reason you can't program them on the valve stem is because it's trying to read all the sensors at once..

My new color receiver sensor whatever monitor is in the motorhome in the backyard. I turn it on when I want to double check the pressures on all the tires and see whether I'm going to need to put air in them before I move it. When I do that the towed vehicle is out in front of the house in my driveway a distance of about 85 ft with a barrier of a well insulated house in between. My receiver in the motorhome in the backyard picks up that tire pressure reading from all four tires in the front yard. I'm not sure my upgrade to a color monitor needed it but I included the repeater that you can mount in the back of the motor home. The only reason I dabble at the thought of mounting it is because it might shortened signal transmission time if I do have a flat on the toad.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #14
Too old to be too smart

For those changing their sensor's battery:

Be sure to have a tiny Philips head screwdriver. I'm not sure of the size, but it's smaller than a #0. You'll need it for the sensor's screws.

Wouldn't hurt to have a few spare batteries, too. Batteries are CR1632.

After using the TST system for a few years, I'd advise steel valve stems be used throughout. My truck (yes, I also use them on my twenty-year-old tow vehicle) had two high-pressure rubber-type stems fail, due mainly to centrifugal force causing the sensors to put unusual forces on the stem. It flexes them in ways they don't want to go. Then they leak.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #15

TPMS

If the op's Mini Lite is new then the sensors are internal strapped to the rim. the sensor is 180 degrees across from the valve stem. That is where program the unit.
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram, tire