Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #241
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Brown View Post
I did all four wheels and I can't believe how much grease each one took. I used a 14oz tube, pumping each wheel until the old grease came out. I mean if each wheel took a quarter of a tube, I'm surprised the bearings didn't burn out on one of our camping trips. Where's the QC when they packed the bearings?
The bearings are individually packed and installed. The Ultra-Lube passageways do not have grease in them when they are delivered to Forest River from Dexter. Forest River just bolts them to the frame on the assembly line.

The first time you flush the axle, it will take a lot of grease to push the dirty grease from the inner bearing out through the hub exit point.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #242

Interesting. Thank you for the explanation. I was surprised it took about 20 minutes at each wheel. I thought I was doing something wrong until I saw the old grease, which almost looked like the new grease since I only have about 800 miles on it. Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #243

Oh yea, it took me a tube and 1/2 when mine was new Herk a member clued me in. On top of all that the grease Lippert puts in is like chocolate milk, you can rest easy now. So now once a season just keep it top offed, 2 squirts max. Have a good trip

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #244
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Brown View Post
Interesting. Thank you for the explanation. I was surprised it took about 20 minutes at each wheel. I thought I was doing something wrong until I saw the old grease, which almost looked like the new grease since I only have about 800 miles on it. Thanks again.
Couple of rules:

NEVER use a compressed air grease gun. You will blow out the rear lip seal and ruin your brakes. Hand pump only!

NEVER use a "Zerk Cleaner" if the Zerk won't take grease easily. Remove the Zerk fitting and clean or replace it if it won't take grease. Trying to "blow out" a Zerk will push grease past your rear lip seal.

If it is really cold out; use a hair dryer to warm up the hubs so the grease will flow more freely. This is especially important if you need to use a lot of force to get grease to move through the ports in the axle.

Most folks will jack up the frame and spin the wheel while adding grease. This will keep the lip seal lubricated and evenly distribute the grease on the bearings. I do this every other time or so.

I like Lucas Oil's "Red N Tacky #2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1008141229.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	176173  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0132-bearing-inspection-maintenance.pdf (112.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Bearing Grease Comparison.pdf (672.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Bearing Repack and Brake adjustment.pdf (549.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf understanding_the_basics_of_grease.pdf (64.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Bearing_Lube_Axle_Maintenance.pdf (480.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #245

Great information. Since I'm new to RVing, I really appreciate all the help. And I used Lucas Red and Tacky #2. It was 90 here today the grease flowed like wine...I mean flowed like grease...warm grease. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #246

I’m just finishing the axles on our “new to us” 5er. All new Timken bearings and races, Dexter double lip seals and new self-adjusting brake assemblies (two of the old brakes were full of grease).

I got 3 done with one tube of grease. Lucas Red ‘n Tacky.

I feel better now.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #247

Hopefully, using the EZ-lube by pumping the grease didn't force any past the rear grease seals. I will never use this system because of that risk.

Do a search on here. Many people that coated their brakes with grease using this system.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #248

I pulled the hubs off just enough to see the back of the seal after filling with grease. No grease got past the seals.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #249

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I just used Ez Lube on my Heartland. Same procedure except the original load was nice and red good quality grease. Did two Rockwoods prior to the Bighorn and no issues at all.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I just used Ez Lube on my Heartland. Same procedure except the original load was nice and red good quality grease. Did two Rockwoods prior to the Bighorn and no issues at all.
You did it right, even though there are these complaints, i would say they are few compared to the # that are out there. I also used it for 7 years and never pushed grease past the rear seal and never had a problem with bearings. ,X' s 2 b&b.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
You did it right, even though there are these complaints, i would say they are few compared to the # that are out there.
I also agree there are few but enough that makes me just do it the old fashioned way.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #252

Don't like these easy lube axles. I blew out a seal and didn't know it until I was trying to adjust the brakes and saw grease. It's far safer to just remove the wheel hub and lube them the old fashion way. If you are going to use the easy lube system I suggest you use some locking compound on the seal to hub surface when the seal is installed.
luvbigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #253

Many people and some professionals blow out the grease seal... axle manf even advise not to use pneumatic or auto feed grease guns... A friend that owns a brake shop said shops do. (They hand pack every bearing job they do.) Even a hand pump not pumped slowly and wheel turned can blow out a seal. Hand guns can push grease out at over 30K to 45,000 lbs... if the thick grease isn't allowed to slowly ooze through the bearings, under this pressure goes to the weakest point, the rubber seal. That's why you pump twice and keep turning... wait a second and repeat. It takes awhile to hand pump all the old grease out through EZ Lube hubs. Almost as quick and same mess EZ Lube as removal and hand pack, replacing seals each time. Hand pack no chance of over lube.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #254

Zerk fitting

One of my fittings on the AL-K0 ultralube axles won.t let grease go in.
Could this be a faulty zerk fitting ?
Haven't tried a new fitting yet.
ruggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #255
clr

Yes the zerk could well be bad. I had to change a couple on my new 5th wheel the first time that I tried to lubricate the running gear. I would try changing the zerk and see if the replacement works any better for you.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I have Dexter axles with the easy lube zerk that greases the wheel. Do I still need to pull the bearings out and pack them by hand.

I'm really not mechanical, so looking for a one word answer. My assumption is that by greasing the bearing with the EZ lube system I won't need to.

Thanks for keeping it simple.
One word............YES
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #257
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggets View Post
One of my fittings on the AL-K0 ultralube axles won.t let grease go in.
Could this be a faulty zerk fitting ?
Haven't tried a new fitting yet.
Unscrew the fitting and attach it to your grease gun.

A pump will let you know if the Zerk frees up or is broken.

If it works you can reinstall it; if not replace it.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #258

Getting ready to lube my dexter axles on 2018 rockwood. Yesterday I picked up a small hand held grease gun at napa auto. It came with 3 small tubes of grease. Name of grease is stay lube it's a moly- graph gease . Can I use this type?
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #259

The small grease gun will tire your hand quickly and three small tubes won't be enough if you are using the zerk fittings. With Zerk fittings you keep slowly turning the wheel as you slowly pump in the grease. I don't know how many pumps but, it's allot. You pump until old grease starts coming back out at you. Pump to hard or to fast and it doesn't give the new grease to ooze in between all bearing surfaces and all that pressure will find a way out, usually through the grease seal and then it will get all over the brakes on the back side... bad.
When you have continually wiped the old grease coming back out your side and see new grease pushing out you are done... with one wheel. You will use one big tube on one to two wheels. The pneumatic grease guns are never recommended because their pressure can be to much or too fast and cause seal leakage.

If the axle bearings are three years old or you had it since new and lubed every year, then maybe 5 years... if when you jack up each wheel you can't rock tire on bearings and there aren't any bearing sounds when turned. You will usually always hear a slight sound as the brake shoes are just a couple of millimeters away from engaging and sometimes touch as tire rotates.

If you haven't changed bearings before let someone who does bearings handle it or have them there to walk you through the first time. Not difficult, but easy to screw yourself and sometimes not know it till 1000 miles down the road.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
The small grease gun will tire your hand quickly and three small tubes won't be enough if you are using the zerk fittings. With Zerk fittings you keep slowly turning the wheel as you slowly pump in the grease. I don't know how many pumps but, it's allot. You pump until old grease starts coming back out at you. Pump to hard or to fast and it doesn't give the new grease to ooze in between all bearing surfaces and all that pressure will find a way out, usually through the grease seal and then it will get all over the brakes on the back side... bad.
When you have continually wiped the old grease coming back out your side and see new grease pushing out you are done... with one wheel. You will use one big tube on one to two wheels. The pneumatic grease guns are never recommended because their pressure can be to much or too fast and cause seal leakage.

If the axle bearings are three years old or you had it since new and lubed every year, then maybe 5 years... if when you jack up each wheel you can't rock tire on bearings and there aren't any bearing sounds when turned. You will usually always hear a slight sound as the brake shoes are just a couple of millimeters away from engaging and sometimes touch as tire rotates.

If you haven't changed bearings before let someone who does bearings handle it or have them there to walk you through the first time. Not difficult, but easy to screw yourself and sometimes not know it till 1000 miles down the road.
Yes , thank you . I also have a bigger grease gun. And I dont think the gease that came with this small gun is all that good.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bearings