Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
Getting ready to lube my dexter axles on 2018 rockwood. Yesterday I picked up a small hand held grease gun at napa auto. It came with 3 small tubes of grease. Name of grease is stay lube it's a moly- graph gease . Can I use this type?
It needs to be the same base as what's in there. If you don't know, pull the hub, clean out all the old grease and fill with a known grease. If it's the original grease, it should be lithium complex. Willing to gamble?

Personally, I only hand pack and I use Mobil 1 which is a lithium complex grease. There are other good grease brands out there. The problem with using the zerk is that you MAY blow out the rear seal and get grease all over your brakes. It happens enough that I don't take the chance and it allows me to inspect bearings and the brakes.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com...-compatibility
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #262

Well I greased the bearings today, i used a red lithium grease that was mentioned in this thread . Jacked it up off the ground, rolled the tires. Front passenger side brake was in pieces. It sounded like the hub had bolts rolling in side. The self adjuster, and spring broke. I never felt it or heard it making noise. So I dont know when it happened. Good thing I checked it, I'm leaving Saturday for a 650 mile one way trip. Cant wait to pull it to see if the brakes feel different.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #263
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Well I greased the bearings today, i used a red lithium grease that was mentioned in this thread . Jacked it up off the ground, rolled the tires. Front passenger side brake was in pieces. It sounded like the hub had bolts rolling in side. The self adjuster, and spring broke. I never felt it or heard it making noise. So I dont know when it happened. Good thing I checked it, I'm leaving Saturday for a 650 mile one way trip. Cant wait to pull it to see if the brakes feel different.
Great job Indy,

Your findings are just another reason one 'should' be pulling the wheels/hubs each season if for no other reason than to check things out.

Many have brake issues or rear seal issues and never know. They assume all is well because they experience no symptoms.

A lesson for all.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Great job Indy,

Your findings are just another reason one 'should' be pulling the wheels/hubs each season if for no other reason than to check things out.

Many have brake issues or rear seal issues and never know. They assume all is well because they experience no symptoms.

A lesson for all.
I will pull them once a year from now on. Like I said I didn't know anything was wrong.
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #265

Quote:
This is why you pull the hubs/drums instead of just pumping grease in the zerk. Hope you pulled all of them.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #266

Anyone familiar with what hubs/axles in a 2020 Alpha 23RD-L is? I want to at least have a good understanding of how to check them out when I pick it up at the dealer next weekend. Do they support bearing buddies? I’ve used them in past trailers and it’s a good way to keep an eye on the grease load. No worries about blowing our rear seals if you do it right.

Any known problems with the newer trailers to look for?

Thanks all,
CB
Charliebrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #267

Bearing buddies are good for boat trailers because it puts positive pressure on the hub to keep water out. Not needed on a travel trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliebrn View Post
Anyone familiar with what hubs/axles in a 2020 Alpha 23RD-L is? I want to at least have a good understanding of how to check them out when I pick it up at the dealer next weekend. Do they support bearing buddies? I’ve used them in past trailers and it’s a good way to keep an eye on the grease load. No worries about blowing our rear seals if you do it right.

Any known problems with the newer trailers to look for?

Thanks all,
CB

Tags
axle, bearings