Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Underbelly Crack

First post, but I've read 100s of threads this past week. Extremely helpful site, thank you all. Now to my issue...

I have a new-to-me 2014 Sunseeker 3170DS that has a crack in the underbelly plywood, as seen from beneath. See attached photos. The crack is about 1/8" thick and I can see the styrofoam. It appears to be a result of mild frame twist. I say that because the plywood forward of the crack is about 1/16" proud on the right and 1/16" low on the left. Frame itself looks fine.

The crack is located at the top of the step from the kitchen up to the bunk area. There is absolutely no sign of structural compromise from inside the rig. The floor is solid. I had DW walk around and I did not see any signs of flexing from underneath. Then I had her jump at the top of the step, and did see some very mild flexing. I don't think there is any on-going danger, but I need to seal the crack and reinforce the plywood. I was thinking about epoxying the crack, then epoxying some 3/4" marine-grade plywood to the underbelly to mend the crack. But I just made an appt with Camping World to give me a professional opinion before I do anything. Any other ideas? How common is this?

Second question... As I was lying under the coach, I originally thought the crack was in the subfloor, but as I mentioned earlier, the crack is at the top of the step. What's between the subfloor and the underbelly plywood? Something is transferring the load down to the underbelly plywood. Anyone have any insight as to what is in that interstitial space?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200827_124538.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	237748  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3170_FloorPlan-crack.pdf (1.05 MB, 21 views)
OurFirstRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

Well I finally had my appointment with Camping World and figured I would update this thread in case anyone has a similar problem in the future. They confirmed that the crack is nothing to worry about. Since there is nothing wrong with the frame or with the structural integrity from inside, they considered it cosmetic. They agreed with my proposal to seal the crack and mend it with plywood from underneath. I will do this work myself.

As to my second question above, I still have no idea what's in that interstitial floor space except heating ducts. I'm not curious enough to go digging either.
OurFirstRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

Good to know it's not a huge problem, and looks like they suggest kind of the same thing I plan to do with my subfloor issue. Since mine is right up against part of the frame, I'll do what I mentioned in our communication, thin plywood inside screwed into a 2x4 underneath at the crack. Yeah... if/when I get around to it... sigh.

Edit: I do realize mine does not have the same type flooring as in a larger unit, it's just "floor", no "sub" issues. When stepped on there is obvious "give". But they are cheap units, and I do not feel the need to spend crazy money or time ripping everything out of the inside to replace an entire floor.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, underbelly