Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2021, 01:47 AM   #1

Unusual tire wear

We had a blowout earlier this year so I replaced all four 15" tires in Barstow. We've probably put less than 3k on them and the right rear is worn to the outside wear bars. The other 3 are wearing normally. It almost appears that the dexter torsion axle or spindle is out of alignment. Any suggestions?
I haven't removed the tire & rim for inspection yet.
Scootertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Is the one that is worn out at the same position as the previous one that blew out?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Is the one that is worn out at the same position as the previous one that blew out?
Nope.It might just be a crappy tire but It's really weird
Old 11-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertramp View Post
Nope.It might just be a crappy tire but It's really weird
Not necessarily. You easily could have something bent or damaged. It's really all guess work though as to if sonething may have been damaged depending on how/where the trailer was jacked up at for tire replacement

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #5

worn to the outside wear bars sounds like the outside tread is worn bad, but center is OK? and this is even wear on both outsides?

could this be under inflation on that one tire?
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Same question here. The blowout could have been caused by a "road hazard" which also damaged the axle.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #7

We had wear on the outside tread of one tire on our trailer. The dealer told me I must have bent a spindle and convinced me to change an axle. I was sure I never did anything to bend the axle. The problem continued. It turned it that the axle hanger on that side was out of square causing the issue. It was discovered during the Forest River Rally and Lippert repaired it at no charge.
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #8

Now I know had same problem on my recently traded in Wildcat
Old 11-25-2021, 01:21 AM   #9

Sounds like bent spindle or axle damaged.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
TGR

One of my trailer's tires wore out on the inside. The problem was the spindle nut was too loose, allowing excessive play, which allowed the tire to wear unevenly.

Premature wear on both the outside and inside of a radial tire would likely be under inflation.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
One of my trailer's tires wore out on the inside. The problem was the spindle nut was too loose, allowing excessive play, which allowed the tire to wear unevenly.

Premature wear on both the outside and inside of a radial tire would likely be under inflation.
Tire inflation is not the issue. I stay on top of them. I finally got my chainsaws, size by side, Harleys and farm truck up and running so I'll finally be able to get the tire off the 5th wheel for inspection
Old 11-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
worn to the outside wear bars sounds like the outside tread is worn bad, but center is OK? and this is even wear on both outsides?

could this be under inflation on that one tire?
The blowout was on the same axle but other side. The tire that blew was an original and the set had around 10k on them, with relatively even wear.I had planned on changing them at the end of vacation but the Mojave Desert had other plans.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
We had wear on the outside tread of one tire on our trailer. The dealer told me I must have bent a spindle and convinced me to change an axle. I was sure I never did anything to bend the axle. The problem continued. It turned it that the axle hanger on that side was out of square causing the issue. It was discovered during the Forest River Rally and Lippert repaired it at no charge.
It actually looks out of square! I'm guessing there's no easy way to align the torqueflex axles...lol
Old 11-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Not necessarily. You easily could have something bent or damaged. It's really all guess work though as to if sonething may have been damaged depending on how/where the trailer was jacked up at for tire replacement
I used a roll up on the other axle to change it out with the spare. We had to leave the trailer at the little tire shop because they were the only place willing to take the job on since it was late Saturday afternoon, plus we have a 150lb dog and another little mutt that needed to stretch their legs, so I don't know how they jacked the axles up.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:19 AM   #15

Thanks for the input gents. It'll be awhile but I'll try to give an update once the problem is solved.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #16

You need a wheel alignment. Every used trailer with dual axles that I have looked at lately needs an alignment. Jack up by the axle and you need an alignment. Go over a curb or hit a big bump, you will need an alignment. Cheap insurance when you replace tires.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #17

MIGHT not be bolted on tbe axle properly!!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #18

Recommend contacting Dexter with the serial number of your axle. They have replaced axles due to tweaked arms.
RockyGBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
You need a wheel alignment. Every used trailer with dual axles that I have looked at lately needs an alignment. Jack up by the axle and you need an alignment. Go over a curb or hit a big bump, you will need an alignment. Cheap insurance when you replace tires.
Yaa, well that's an adventure in itself...lol. I haven't had much luck finding a trailer alignment vendor.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertramp View Post
We had a blowout earlier this year so I replaced all four 15" tires in Barstow. We've probably put less than 3k on them and the right rear is worn to the outside wear bars. The other 3 are wearing normally. It almost appears that the dexter torsion axle or spindle is out of alignment. Any suggestions?
I haven't removed the tire & rim for inspection yet.

Without some pictures it's essentially impossible to even offer a guess on why you had a failure and why the new tire has one shoulder wear.

Highly unlikely the tire caused the rapid wear. Not impossible but unlikely.

Tire failure could be due to low air pressure or the result of road debris impact. I have covered both in my RVTireSafety Blog but have you read THIS post? Sorry the pictures don't show (just discovered. I will have to do a new post to update pictures.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire