Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #1

Upsize TT Tires 205/75/14 to 215/75/14???

Trying to order new tires to replace the China Bombs that came on our 2512 Mini Lite. It appears that upsizing from the original 205/75/14 tires to the next size up 215/75/14 would increase diameter by .6" and width by .4". This next size has a slightly better load rating and am wondering if anyone has done this or if there is any problem in doing so? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #2

I do not have your trailer, but it would be no problem to upsize the tire as long as you have clearance in your wheel well. Keep in mind how much your suspension may compress for the up / down clearance.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
Old 07-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Trying to order new tires to replace the China Bombs that came on our 2512 Mini Lite. It appears that upsizing from the original 205/75/14 tires to the next size up 215/75/14 would increase diameter by .6" and width by .4". This next size has a slightly better load rating and am wondering if anyone has done this or if there is any problem in doing so? Thanks in advance for any info.

you can go up in load rating without going up in tire size . C to D or D to E
Old 07-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
you can go up in load rating without going up in tire size . C to D or D to E
Unfortunately not, GoodYear Endurance & Carlisle tires are not available in E load rating in a 14" tire. You have to move up to a 15" tire to get E rating. D Load rating is the highest you can go on a 14" rim, but the slightly larger size 14" tire adds about 200lbs of load rating per tire.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
I did exactly what you did when I bought my Goodyear Endurance to replace the OEM tires.

Not a single issue or concern. Currently have about 6000 miles on them
Old 07-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #6

You have the same tire/rim size as my trailer. On the manufacturer sticker my rim size is 14x5.5 so I could increase the width to 215 and be fine. I eventually just stayed with OEM GY Endurance tire size. Maybe next time but I weigh when towing and never come close to GVWR.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
Old 07-23-2021, 11:47 PM   #7

I did the same thing for our 27RR. Went from 205 to 215 when I replaced the Chinese garbage Castlerocks with Goodyear Endurance. Also replaced the spare. I gave away 5 brand new Castlerocks.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
And that's why the vehicle manufacturer will not recommend or approve the larger size.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
And that's why the vehicle manufacturer will not recommend or approve the larger size.
do you just make stuff up?
Old 07-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #10

Upsize TT Tires 205/75/14 to 215/75/14???

I did this last January, had a blowout with a castle rock tire. I put on (5) Goodyear Endurance 215/75/14. Have about 2500 miles on them. No problems.
Every choice is an opportunity to say yes to God.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
After spending the winter months reading about these china bombs and the damage they can cause I decided to upgrade to Goodyear endurance. I did decide to go from 205 to the 215's and had no problem with clearance on my 2509 mini lite, plus you gain a little more weight rating and gain a little on the speed rating.
I personally didn't have any problems with the stock castle rock tires but maybe better suited on a utility trailer were they are now, less damage if they blow out.
Best of luck and safe travels
Old 07-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
do you just make stuff up?
The Industry has minimal standards. Those standards can be found in many of the USTMA manuals. Here is an excerpt from one of them: Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size designation, or approved options, as recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller size or with less load-carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle tire placard pressure.

When the tire industry is talking tire size they are using their familiarity with the use of the word size when applied to tires.. Here is a listing of designated sizes. The prefix is an integral part of a tire size. Those without a prefix are normally Euro-Metric in size, design and load capacity.

Size designations usually include letters which have the following meanings:

These are prefix letters and part of a tire's size designation.
• P = P-Metric (Passenger)
• LT = Light Truck
• ST = Special Tire for Trailers
• T = Temporary Spare

Letters found within a tire size:

• R = Radial Construction
• F = Self-Supporting, Runflat
• D = Diagonal (Bias) Construction
• B = Belted Bias Construction
• C = European Commercial (Light Duty)

Load range, load index and speed letters/numbers are not a part of a tire's size designation. They are informatory.

Many of the new 2021 standards manuals/regulations are already available on the net. (WWW)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
The Industry has minimal standards. Those standards can be found in many of the USTMA manuals. Here is an excerpt from one of them: Replacement tires should be the same as the OE size designation, or approved options, as recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer. Never choose a replacement tire of a smaller size or with less load-carrying capacity than the OE tire size at the specified vehicle tire placard pressure.

When the tire industry is talking tire size they are using their familiarity with the use of the word size when applied to tires.. Here is a listing of designated sizes. The prefix is an integral part of a tire size. Those without a prefix are normally Euro-Metric in size, design and load capacity.

Size designations usually include letters which have the following meanings:

These are prefix letters and part of a tire's size designation.
• P = P-Metric (Passenger)
• LT = Light Truck
• ST = Special Tire for Trailers
• T = Temporary Spare

Letters found within a tire size:

• R = Radial Construction
• F = Self-Supporting, Runflat
• D = Diagonal (Bias) Construction
• B = Belted Bias Construction
• C = European Commercial (Light Duty)

Load range, load index and speed letters/numbers are not a part of a tire's size designation. They are informatory.

Many of the new 2021 standards manuals/regulations are already available on the net. (WWW)

So what part of this post proves that someone cannot upsize their trailer tire providing it actually physically fits replacing the previous tire within a fraction of an inch?

Your post proves nothing of that and is just fluff...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 07-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
So what part of this post proves that someone cannot upsize their trailer tire providing it actually physically fits replacing the previous tire within a fraction of an inch?

Your post proves nothing of that and is just fluff...
I explained tire designated size and you missed it.

To un-fluff it; there is a NHTSA regulation that states a major difference in designated size can be a disqualifier without approval.

I'm not going to do any more researching for this post. Readers always want to go out of context with standards and regulations. Those standards & regulations say what is supposed to happen. Stepping out of what is supposed to happen places the burden of safety right on the shoulders of those having more savvy than the standards and regulations.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #15
ysidive

Quote:
I Have a coachmenfreedom express 281rlds and I changed my tires from when new. I went to the 215/75R 14 Goodyear Endurance which are D rated and I have put over 15000 miles on them in 4 years.... No problem going to the 215's
Best move I made.....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
Old 07-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:

To un-fluff it; there is a NHTSA regulation that states a major difference in designated size can be a disqualifier without approval.

I'm not going to do any more researching for this post. Readers always want to go out of context with standards and regulations. Those standards & regulations say what is supposed to happen. Stepping out of what is supposed to happen places the burden of safety right on the shoulders of those having more savvy than the standards and regulations.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the tire size Nazi to show up in this thread.....
"Show me your papers!"
Old 07-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #17

Quote:

I have to agree with Rsdata

Apparently you missed "there is a NHTSA regulation that states a major difference in designated size can be a disqualifier without approval." from your own post.

This thread is about going from a 205 to a 215 but I guess you missed that.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:

Apparently you missed "there is a NHTSA regulation that states a major difference in designated size can be a disqualifier without approval." from your own post.

Really? Mike134 you do understand that common sense has absolutely no bearing at all when discussing tire sizes! Just because the new tire size meets all safety standards and regulations and rim requirements means nothing if the manufacturer has not tested it and approved it for use on that model trailer, and it isn't listed on the sticker on the trailer, according to a certain member here (not I).
Old 07-25-2021, 11:27 PM   #19

Quote:

ST205/75R14 is a designated sized tire. ST215/75R14 is a larger designated size. In the industry, the 215 is referred to as a plus sized tire. When plus sizing tires, there are safety requirements that must be followed. The USTMA provides free access on the WWW to their manuals that include the proper procedures for using plus sized tires.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:29 AM   #20
ysidive

Quote:

Your post also refer to VEHICLE standards... Since when is a trailer a vehicle?
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
Closed Thread

Tags
size, tire, tires