Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
.................................................. ..

For the most part nothing about the original equipment (OE) tire is binding on the vehicle owner. The regulations used by the vehicle manufacturer are binding on them to insure your vehicle has passed all the safety standards before you sign for it.

.................................................. .....

and

.................................................. ......................

That statement has a far reaching meaning to the vehicle manufacturing and tire industry. Each tire qualified for trailer axles (P, LT & ST etc..) are different in design, load carrying ability and recommended inflation pressures. Whatever design the vehicle manufacturer determines is "appropriate" for vehicle fitment MUST be displayed on the vehicle's federal certification label. To deviate from the information provided on the certification label without vehicle manufacturer approval is a breach in vehicle safety.
Interesting discussion. The two paragraphs I've quoted above taken out of context but they seem to be in disagreement.

First, you write that "For the most part nothing about the original equipment (OE) tire is binding on the vehicle owner". Then, you write "To deviate from the information provided on the certification label without vehicle manufacturer approval is a breach in vehicle safety". I think I understand the difference, but need further explanation as to which one of those statements is correct since they say completely different things.

Regarding the second statement about deviating from the certification label specs is a breach in vehicle safety. i.e., my TT states a gross axle weight of 5,080 pounds. It's obvious that number comes from adding the maximum allowable weight of the two "D" rated tires supplied (2,540 pounds each). If I decide to put "C" rated tires (1,820 pounds each) then their combined max load of 3,640 is definitely not in compliance with the label. However, if I change to "E" load tires (2,830 pounds each) I don't see where there is a "breach in vehicle safety" as long as the actual weight doesn't exceed 5,080. In reality, the real GAWR is now 5,200 pounds (according to placard placed on the axle by the axle manufacturer) but the "legal" limit of 5,080 can only be changed by the TT manufacturer.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Interesting discussion. The two paragraphs I've quoted above taken out of context but they seem to be in disagreement.

First, you write that "For the most part nothing about the original equipment (OE) tire is binding on the vehicle owner". Then, you write "To deviate from the information provided on the certification label without vehicle manufacturer approval is a breach in vehicle safety". I think I understand the difference, but need further explanation as to which one of those statements is correct since they say completely different things.
I sort of covered that in the opening statement; "As an owner that's a very true statement, with consequences. Especially if you're from a state or province that has vehicle inspections.

The government can impose monetary penalties on vehicle manufacturers for safety violations that do not meet the minimum standards outlined in the FMVSS. That can probably only happen to an owner for not following minimum standards outlined in a state vehicle inspection. Such state inspections normally follow instructions found in government regulations such as CFR 570.62 (tires). Then there is litigation, that can always happen when something bad happens and vehicle safety is in question. Then, tire industry standards would come into play if suspected as a contributing factor.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #83

Quote:

Regarding the second statement about deviating from the certification label specs is a breach in vehicle safety. i.e., my TT states a gross axle weight of 5,080 pounds. It's obvious that number comes from adding the maximum allowable weight of the two "D" rated tires supplied (2,540 pounds each). If I decide to put "C" rated tires (1,820 pounds each) then their combined max load of 3,640 is definitely not in compliance with the label. However, if I change to "E" load tires (2,830 pounds each) I don't see where there is a "breach in vehicle safety" as long as the actual weight doesn't exceed 5,080. In reality, the real GAWR is now 5,200 pounds (according to placard placed on the axle by the axle manufacturer) but the "legal" limit of 5,080 can only be changed by the TT manufacturer.
About the GAWR. NHTSA via FMVSS allows vehicle manufacturers to set the vehicle’s GAWRs. The vehicle manufacturer has a target value to build to. Axle manufacturers do not build axles in weight increments compatible with all desirable GAWRs a vehicle manufacturer wants to use. The tag on the individual axle is its manufacturer’s certified load capacity, not to be confused with the vehicle’s certified GAWRs set by the vehicle manufacturer. Some vehicle manufacturer’s abuse the intent of the standard to set GAWRs to accommodate a particular tire size and load capacity. Good thing there is a LRE in that tire size.

GAWRs are part of the trailer builders minimum requirements. Tire fitments have nothing to do with determining GAWRs. The total GAWR values depicted on the vehicle certification label when added to the vehicle manufacturer’s hitch/pin weight MUST equal or exceed GVWR. The vehicle manufacturer could have put tires on there with a load capacity of 3000# and they would not have anything to do but provide you with more load capacity reserves. The GAWRs and GVWR would and will remain the same.

Tires of the same physical size and design are always suitable for replacements. The same load inflation chart is used for the LRD as for the LRE. The LRE tire will provide the same load capacity as the LRD at 65 PSI and that’s what’s on the certification label. The big difference is the LRE can operate at a higher inflation level than the LRD thus providing more load capacity for reserves. It’s what all owners should seek in their replacements when faced with marginal OE tires.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #84

Quote:

I had similar GAWR due to cheesy ST's. The axles are 5,200's, but the tires were the limiting factor (5080). After upgrading to nice LT's, my tire ratings exceed the axle rating, so I go by the 5,200 lbs axle rating now.

Due to GVWR of the camper, I won't ever get to the GAWR's... unless I put something in heavy right on top of them.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #85

First, you write that "For the most part nothing about the original equipment (OE) tire is binding on the vehicle owner". Then, you write "To deviate from the information provided on the certification label without vehicle manufacturer approval is a breach in vehicle safety". It is, but, is it enforceable? Only in a situation where there are state vehicle inspections.I think I understand the difference, but need further explanation as to which one of those statements is correct since they say completely different things. The information on the vehicle's federal certification label is the minimum standard for that trailer. If you were to use replacement tires with less load capacity than the OE tires provided you would be compromising safety. If they fail because of the compromise who is to blame? What I was trying to stress is most of the safety about vehicles is in the hands of the owner. The owner can either learn the proper maintenance procedures and safety constraints or do the "he said she said" alternative. Without a personal injury incident the owner is pretty free do do as they wish.

The only relationship tires have with a vehicle's GAWRs is to provide the necessary load capacity to support the GAWRs as deemed appropriate by the vehicle manufacturer. Any tire load capacity beyond what is recommended on the tire placard is reserve load capacity. GAWRs are used in conjunction with the vehicle manufacturer's published hitch/pin weight to insure the GVWR is properly supported.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #86

Greenball, Towmaster now has a ST225/75R15F rated at 3137# @ 95 PSI. Speed Letter "M".

http://www.greenball.com/catalog/Spe...ler-Radial.pdf
Old 10-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Greenball, Towmaster now has a ST225/75R15F rated at 3137# @ 95 PSI. Speed Letter "M".

http://www.greenball.com/catalog/Spe...ler-Radial.pdf
Carlisle has LR F 235/85/r16 at 95# for those with 16" as well
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires