RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
NXR

VIAIR reply about 400P versus 450P versus new "RVS" series air compressor differences

I've read a lot of articles on the 400P versus the 450P (duty cycle versus CFM) so I went to VIAIR's site. I saw they have a new RVS (RV Safe) series. So I asked them about the differences and got their permission to paste their reply into forum posts as long as I did not use the person's name:

For the differences between the 450P-RV and 450P-RVS...we had a large amount of feedback from the RV consumers about the 450P-RV, so we changed a couple things but not really that much. The bag is a different color and little more heavy duty. We added a 40", 90-degree twist-on chuck so people could stand while filling the tires instead of kneeling or bending over. We have tested the 450/400/89/300 RVS models on RV tires, and thatís another reason we came out with this line. It is only being sold to people who own an RV or towable. And won't ever be sold on Amazon.

(My question to them) "I looked at the 450P, liking the continuous duty, but the 400P puts out more CFM, so the higher fill rate of the 400P seemed like a good idea. What's your take on it?"

"My take on it is yes, the 400 puts out a higher CFM. But we rate our compressors for tire size. The 400P-RVS works great for tires up to 37" because the compressor can handle the volume of that size tire. But, if you were to use it on a 40" or 42" tall tire, you would most likely hit the duty cycle prior to getting the tire filled. Thatís where the 450 comes in. It may be slightly slower, not as high of CFM, but it will fill a 42" tall tire to 130psi and not need a rest after.

The RVS models will not be sold to anyone trying to use them on their cars or trucks, only to people with a Class A, B, C RV or towable. Thatís what this line is made for. We wanted to have a specific line for this market since no one else has RV-specific compressors that have been tested on the tires that the RV's have."

So the 400P would be good for my 22.5" tires but the key difference is that I might hit the duty cycle limit if I have to put air in all six of them. The RVS series is currently sold only by United RV and Prime Source but they're expanding that to other dealers. United RV has the 450P-RVS for $20 more than Amazon for the 450P-RV.

And VIAIR answered all of my emails within a few hours. That fellow just sold another compressor because of his good responsiveness.

FWIW,

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

I have had a 400P since 2004. I understand duty cycle and am very happy with the 400. If I was starting from scratch today, I would still likely purchase the 400 just because of the higher volume. I have not run up against the duty cycle, but, I do not use it daily. I used to do a lot of o-roading and airing up my Jeep. Also, it appears the 450 has a duty cycle over 100 psi.

The only thing I wish mine had was a pressure actuated OFF switch. The new ones have that feature.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
NXR

Slight typo. My tires are 235/80R 22.5G which are just under 37.3" tall so same difference.

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I've read a lot of articles on the 400P versus the 450P (duty cycle versus CFM) so I went to VIAIR's site. I saw they have a new RVS (RV Safe) series. So I asked them about the differences and got their permission to paste their reply into forum posts as long as I did not use the person's name:

For the differences between the 450P-RV and 450P-RVS...we had a large amount of feedback from the RV consumers about the 450P-RV, so we changed a couple things but not really that much. The bag is a different color and little more heavy duty. We added a 40", 90-degree twist-on chuck so people could stand while filling the tires instead of kneeling or bending over. We have tested the 450/400/89/300 RVS models on RV tires, and thatís another reason we came out with this line. It is only being sold to people who own an RV or towable. And won't ever be sold on Amazon.

(My question to them) "I looked at the 450P, liking the continuous duty, but the 400P puts out more CFM, so the higher fill rate of the 400P seemed like a good idea. What's your take on it?"

"My take on it is yes, the 400 puts out a higher CFM. But we rate our compressors for tire size. The 400P-RVS works great for tires up to 37" because the compressor can handle the volume of that size tire. But, if you were to use it on a 40" or 42" tall tire, you would most likely hit the duty cycle prior to getting the tire filled. Thatís where the 450 comes in. It may be slightly slower, not as high of CFM, but it will fill a 42" tall tire to 130psi and not need a rest after.

The RVS models will not be sold to anyone trying to use them on their cars or trucks, only to people with a Class A, B, C RV or towable. Thatís what this line is made for. We wanted to have a specific line for this market since no one else has RV-specific compressors that have been tested on the tires that the RV's have."

So the 400P would be good for my 22.5" tires but the key difference is that I might hit the duty cycle limit if I have to put air in all six of them. The RVS series is currently sold only by United RV and Prime Source but they're expanding that to other dealers. United RV has the 450P-RVS for $20 more than Amazon for the 450P-RV.

And VIAIR answered all of my emails within a few hours. That fellow just sold another compressor because of his good responsiveness.

FWIW,

Ray
Thank you for sharing this, and good for you for asking permission to post this on a public forum.

Bruce
Old 04-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

I have a ViAir Constant Duty (Universal) model. I purchased it 2 years ago and can not say anything negative about this product. Since buying this compressor the only time I turn on the shop compressor is to power air tools. I even use it to winterize the trailer. When it was new there was a minor air leak (loose bolt). The gentleman I talked to at customer service was extremely helpful. I highly recommend ViAir compressors.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

I love me Viair 450

I purchased the 450P RV because the two front tires on my DP require 120 pounds of pressure. This is what Viair recommended and I couldn't be happier. Great product.
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote