Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #21

I'm in the same boat & seriously considering Marathons or Kumhos from tirerack.com. Nobody in Calgary seems to be able to get Maxxis (import issue?) or the Kumhos (low inventory due to Asian flooding?)

Other alternative is to plan a day on our summer vacation to replace our trailer tires while in the US.
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnHigh View Post
I'm in the same boat & seriously considering Marathons or Kumhos from tirerack.com. Nobody in Calgary seems to be able to get Maxxis (import issue?) or the Kumhos (low inventory due to Asian flooding?)

Other alternative is to plan a day on our summer vacation to replace our trailer tires while in the US.

Yup ... no Maxxis seem available up here in Canada but will wait out the weekend to see if they reply to my E Mail. Kumhos don't seem to be made in size I require or at least not available on website. No dealer nearby either.

Anyway after a full day of tire shopping around town I think I'm looking at either Carlisle's at $139/tire installed or Goodyear Marathons at $173/tire. Includes installation, balancing & new valve. Turns out best price was my local garage I've dealt with for decades. Owner who has trailered longer than I've been alive implied either tire would be North American made & "fresh". Other cheaper tires possible around $100/tire installed but over 5 years $$$ difference is one case of beer/wine per year so not worried about price.

Thinking seriously about getting the Marathon's. Best I can get up here short of a drive to USA and then there is the issue of if I have any problems hard to get resolved without a long return trip!

Have the weekend to sleep on it!

Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice so far!!!
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #23

One thing to note is that Kumho sizes their tires in Euro metric, not P metric, like the others. My trailer takes 20575R14s, but I believe based on the diameter, the Kumhos I'd need at 195R14. Search the forums for Kumhos & you'll find a post from one of our esteemed fellow members who describes the difference perfectly.
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
Yup ... no Maxxis seem available up here in Canada but will wait out the weekend to see if they reply to my E Mail.
Quick reply from Maxxis late on a Friday afternoon. I'm impressed!

Unfortunately they said the only dealers in Canada to sell Maxxis are in B.C. That's about 1000 miles each way for me! Bit of a Catch 22 too as part of the reason I'm wanting to get new tires is to be sure I can get safely to B.C. In September

USA dealer probably closer but again warranty/service issues get real complicated real fast purchasing in a foreign country.
rce is offline   Reply With Quote