Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Looks like the wheel is mounted backwards also.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #22

If you haven't figured it out yet..... I think this place can help you. I am sure there are others. Naturally it had to be a torsion axle.
Redneck Trailer Supplies - 20 National Branch Locations - Home
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #23

From a safety aspect, that spindle is fine to get you home. You might need to file a few rough spots down, but if you can slide your new bearing over the spindle smoothly then it's good.

The seal area, again, you might need to file rough areas down, then use an Emory cloth to polish it smooth.

Depending on how smooth you can get it, you may can save it. When you get home, inspect it and see if the seal held up. If so, I'd run with it.

As for the hub, if it's not too damaged and the races drive in tight then it might be okay, but the hub assembly is often reasonably priced. Might be best and easiest to replace it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #24

My plan right now is to put new bearings from locally in the orginial hub if it will hold the races... Then I am hoping to limp about 40 miles to my company's shop. I am a manager for a landscape contractor so we have a full shop with a metal fabrication shop that rents some space from us in a next door building. Our mechanic says its borderline from the pictures but most likely no good but he says he needs to put his hands on the spindle to really be able to tell.

I have also contacted AL-KO about getting a replacement axle. They want $480 for a bare axle (900+ for an outfitted axle which seems little ridiculous to me). Also I am looking at $150 in freight costs. I am waiting to hear back from the metal shop next door to see if the owner feels comfortable cutting off and re-welding a new spindle on the axle for me. A local trailer place recommended I do this due to no local distributors of my AL-KO axle. Also it would take about 3-4 weeks for AL-KO to build and ship me the new axle. How do y'all feel about a professional metal worker welding a new spindle on an axle?
2013 Ford F-350 Ultimate Lariat Edition with 6.7 Power Stroke
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #25

O yea... Also I plan on once the spindle is fixed... Replacing the brakes assemble and hub completely just to be on the safe side. I am nervous about the brakes as they got very hot like everything else and are showing some slight damage. Also plan just going ahead and replacing just the bearings in all 3 other wheels. May be little overkill but I will feel better about it and it will already be in our company mechanics hands to do the other work. I am praying the metal shop can do the spindle work if I need it done as I can order a brand new EZ-Lube spindle for $40 from eTrailer. That is A LOT better than $630.00 + Tax for a new axle just for a bare axle.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
From a safety aspect, that spindle is fine to get you home. You might need to file a few rough spots down, but if you can slide your new bearing over the spindle smoothly then it's good.

The seal area, again, you might need to file rough areas down, then use an Emory cloth to polish it smooth.

Depending on how smooth you can get it, you may can save it. When you get home, inspect it and see if the seal held up. If so, I'd run with it.

As for the hub, if it's not too damaged and the races drive in tight then it might be okay, but the hub assembly is often reasonably priced. Might be best and easiest to replace it.
X2 - I would try to save that one as well. The hub was very inexpensive as were the brake assemblies.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #27

What the OP is calling "Tension Axles" are "Torsion Axles" ,Welding new Spindle onto a "Rubber Torsion Axle" Is NOT going to Happen! The Entire Z Spindle assembly is Pressed into the axle tube along with the RUBBER bump pieces! Youroo!!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What the OP is calling "Tension Axles" are "Torsion Axles" ,Welding new Spindle onto a "Rubber Torsion Axle" Is NOT going to Happen! The Entire Z Spindle assembly is Pressed into the axle tube along with the RUBBER bump pieces! Youroo!!
I thought the rubber was in the axle tube... I was told by a Dexter dealer since we do not have AL-OK dealer in Virginia that it would have to be special ordered and I was probably better off ordering direct from AL-OK. He also suggested I just cut off the spindle and have a new one welded on and from my understanding he was the "technical" guy at the dealer. I wasn't talking about the whole arm I originally looked for but do not think you can buy it.. So.... Is he incorrect? Will just cutting off the spindle and welding a new replacement on destroy the axle? The current spindle is welded to the arm.(Excuse me if arm is not right term, I hope you guys are understanding what I am trying to describe. I am a landscape designer not mechanic.) It being currently welded from the factory and the axle dealer suggesting I fix it that way is why I am heading the direction. Being a contractor, while successful times are really hard for years... I don't want to waste time and money trying to fix my current axle if its a lost cause. I am not planning on doing the cutting and welding myself... I have a metal fab company going to do it. We do favors for each other all the time so labor is free for this idea I would be just paying for the new spindle.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #29

The axle parts are pressed together after the fab work is done. Can you put a new spindle on there assuming you can find the right one? Certainly. Will there is a will there is a way. You can wrap the parts to remain cool and get after it. IMO

There are videos on this out there. I also assume you know Dexter now owns Al-ko now(or that's what the Internet says). This seems to be a pretty complicated process to choose the right axle as there are many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #30

Yea getting a replacement axle seems to be very complicated due to the many opinions, sizes, and etc. Wish it was dexter then I could easily get my hands on a replacement. ALKO said it would be at least 3 weeks to get a new one because they build to order and don't carry stock. The spindle seems pretty standard to 3500lb axles and I have already found where I can order and get one next day shipped in. I'll let y'all know how it goes... it's not going well at all right now.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #31
Too old to be too smart

I've gone through the process of replacing just the spindle on an AL-KO torsion axle. It was on an enclosed utility trailer. It's not the easiest of tasks.

First, remove the axle from the trailer. You're going to be grinding some welds out, so get it to where the sparks won't matter.

Before you do anything else, measure how far the brake mounting plate is from the arm. You'll need that later.

The axle is welded to the torsion arm in two places, inside the arm, and outside. Those welds have to be ground out to remove the spindle from the arm. First, cut off the brake mounting flange to allow access to the outer weld.

Once you get the spindle out, you are unfortunately going to find that AL-KO drilled a larger hole in the arm than the outside diameter of the spindle. Actually, I believe they cut that hole out with a plasma cutter, as it's not really smooth inside. The arm is one inch thick steel.

This leaves you with a BIG problem: Alignment of the new spindle before welding. Finished toe alignment is more important than camber, but both should be VERY close to zero when finished.

I'll not go into detail here how I was able to align the new one, but I'll be happy to elaborate if you decide to go down this path and encounter this problem.

The trailer has subsequently traveled over 12,000 miles in the three years since the repair. There is no unusual tire wear at all, as I was able to get it very close.

Yes, it's cheaper to just buy a #84 spindle (with brake flange), but it's a LOT more work. I'm retired, can weld, and have have the time to spare. I was doing it on-the-cheap to save an animal rescue some money, but wouldn't do it again.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiggins View Post
Also... Where do people recommend getting parts from? I am looking for best pricing I can get from dealer with good service. I have used Etrailer in the past but I don't think they deal in Al-KO axles.

This camper has been a blessing except for this issue (Well there are many others but hey that's a used item for you) as my son is disabled and now with this camper we can afford and have the ability to travel more with him. I would hate to have it sitting out of commission for awhile if this turns out to be very expense. Even tho it sitting may not be an option due to its not at my property right now / I am afraid to move it any further in its current condition. Sorry for the rant, very frustrating yesterday evening (Which added another fun problem where the fitting that broken the day before for the water line into the toilet which flooded our rv bathroom, luckily we were in the camper and got it cut off quickly and cleaned up off the floor.)

Ill let everyone know what I find. I may need to share some pictures of the spindle to get your opinions if its ruined or not. Thanks everyone
Google AL-KO they still are in Business I purchased 4 complete sets for like 45.00 bucks. Then get a double lip seals at napa for them. They use to sell Timex bearings on ebay USA made, but if you buy them at Napa they will be made in China like everything else.... Take a good look at the spindles and make sure there not mared. Also while at Napa or anywhere get some good grease like Lukas Red and Tacky with a drop point of 440 degrees. You just have to love these stealers, sorry meant dealers...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #33
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
They use to sell Timex bearings on ebay USA made, but if you buy them at Napa they will be made in China like everything else.
I suspect your auto-correct doesn't have the word Timken.

Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto_correct.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	121945  

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #34

My trailer axle does not exist !

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8244 S . 5th wheel. Bought new from a Forest River dealer.

I had the rear passenger bearing go last year. They were replaced with the bearing for the 40 U torsion axle. This year the same bearing went again. This time the spindle got wrecked. A quick look by the RV repair shop and, yeah, quick easy repair. New spindle, hub, brakes etc.. Next day I get a call from the repair shop and am told the spindle is welded into the swing arm and the whole axle needs to be replaced. Then another call and I am told that axle does not exist. The data label reads 40 U , 3,500 pound AL-KO axle. Well 40 means 4,000 pounds, not 3,500. A call to AL-KO says they never manufactured an axle with those numbers. Well, there it is, on my data plate. RV shop says the spindles are 4000 pound, but the rest of the axle is 3500 pounds. I am having new torsion axles made at this moment that will be 4000 pound at a cost of $3,000 Canadian. Tried to go leaf but the attachment to the frame is to short.

Waiting for a reply from Forest River to find out what is going on. To be honest I am not even expecting an answer. 5 years old, 3 years out of warranty, not our problem.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
I suspect your auto-correct doesn't have the word Timken.

Pop
Seems you got the point, Thanks for the correction, didn't know this was an spanglish class.. I can tell you have time to spare, well your welcome to come over to my house and help me any time you are bored.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8244 S . 5th wheel. Bought new from a Forest River dealer.

I had the rear passenger bearing go last year. They were replaced with the bearing for the 40 U torsion axle. This year the same bearing went again. This time the spindle got wrecked. A quick look by the RV repair shop and, yeah, quick easy repair. New spindle, hub, brakes etc.. Next day I get a call from the repair shop and am told the spindle is welded into the swing arm and the whole axle needs to be replaced. Then another call and I am told that axle does not exist. The data label reads 40 U , 3,500 pound AL-KO axle. Well 40 means 4,000 pounds, not 3,500. A call to AL-KO says they never manufactured an axle with those numbers. Well, there it is, on my data plate. RV shop says the spindles are 4000 pound, but the rest of the axle is 3500 pounds. I am having new torsion axles made at this moment that will be 4000 pound at a cost of $3,000 Canadian. Tried to go leaf but the attachment to the frame is to short.

Waiting for a reply from Forest River to find out what is going on. To be honest I am not even expecting an answer. 5 years old, 3 years out of warranty, not our problem.
They replaced these last year at Goshen,the unit is a 2010! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4587.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	122083   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4588 - Copy.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	122084  
Old 10-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #37

Did you ever contact Redneck Trailer?