Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
As long as I can!

Wheel Tire Pressure limit

We are thinking of upgrading our D rated tires to E rated tires. Our rims/wheels are what came with the trailer.

We can not find a max pressure rating stamped on any of the wheels.

The spare tire rim is a white painted 15" steel wheel.

The rims on the trailer are 15" aluminum wheels.

Can anyone tell us what the max pressure rating is for these two types of wheels?

TIA
Old 06-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
Brake is on left

The issue is not really the wheel, but the valve stem. Aluminum will hold the pressure but snap-in valve stems (like you typically find on cars) are limited to around 80 psi. Provided ofcourse that the stems installed are suited for 80, you can safely upgrade the tires and inflate to that pressure.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

load range D is normally 65# of pressure
load range E can go up to 80# of pressure

I believe all wheel rims are rated to at least 80#, but only if you use metal stems instead of the stock rubber valve stems.

The debate will ensue as to how much to inflate your new tires to... 80# at load range E?

Some will argue that at 80# your trailer will get too bouncy, and some will say that going less then that will cause under-inflation issues and cause pre-mature tire failure.

Personally, 4 years ago I went from load range C to load range D... went with metal valve stems and inflate to 60# down from the max capacity of 65#. So far I have not had any issues.

As long as you are changing tires, have you checked into the Goodyear ST Endurance tire? I believe it is superior to most every other ST trailer tire brand and you have nationwide tire store coverage. I bought at at a GY owned store who gave me the best deal on them.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
As long as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
have you checked into the Goodyear ST Endurance tire?

We had these on our 5ver for many years. We were also considering Maxxis 8008.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
As long as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
The issue is not really the wheel, but the valve stem. Aluminum will hold the pressure but snap-in valve stems (like you typically find on cars) are limited to around 80 psi. Provided ofcourse that the stems installed are suited for 80, you can safely upgrade the tires and inflate to that pressure.

Thanks, we were thinking of metal stems.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #6

Tires Tires and more Tires

MAx air in a Endurance is 80. E rated tire is more tire than the old Wicked Kitty needs. SO we stay at 78 and so far it works great. How much air will be based on trailer weight verse tire rating to some degree. It is a quesstamation plus stopping and checking the tires for to much heat. Would not go under 70 at all.

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:03 PM   #7

I was upgraded our tires from E to G rated and had the same question because some of the G rated tires go up to 110 PSI. FR give me the name of the manufacturer. I called them, they told me that the Valve Stem was the limiting factor...........(just as someone else said here)

I bought screw on metal valve stems and have not had any problems whatsoever!
Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

Valve stems

We upgraded to the Goodyear Endurance with the metal stems. Running at 80# cold because of trailer weight. I am having issues with two of the valve stems leaking. Not much but some. The other two are holding with no issues. I have brought them in once but the problem still exist. Anyone else with something similar.
Lumberton1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #9

There are wheels that have ratings of 55 and other pressings as well, some of the posts are incorrect. If they aren’t marked get the part number and check with the manufacturer.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
I am having issues with two of the valve stems leaking. Not much but some. The other two are holding with no issues. I have brought them in once but the problem still exist. Anyone else with something similar.
yes
I had metal valve stem issue about 3 years ago... after working well for 2 years, on one trip my TPMS told me I was losing pressure. Stopped and looked and aired up at a gas station, and continued to drive as the tire continued to lose pressure... slowly.

I got to my destination. I noticed if I wiggled the stem I could faintly hear a hiss... something I did not hear on the noisy road. I took the tire off and to a tire repair store. They replaced the stem with a different one on an aluminum rim and fixed the entire problem. So I have now 3 stems still working with original replacement stems that went in with my new GY tires, and one replacement stem. I do have the heavier TPMS flow-thru sensors.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #11

I think all Flagstaff trailers have Lionshead wheels. At the FR International rally a couple of years ago I asked the Lionshead rep in the vendor area about the max pressure. I was told that their wheels were rated to 100 PSI.

BTW, after 25K miles on my OEM tires, I moved to the GY Endurance.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:20 PM   #12

I went from the Castle Rock Bombs yesterday which were D Rated to the GY Endurance which are E Rated. I have a 2019 Hemisphere 300bh with aluminum wheels. Basically same as the OP. Had less then 2000 miles on the Bombs and just changed for piece of mind because of all the reviews I’ve been reading about on here. Luckily I did because I had two tires with broken belts. Safe travels everyone.
HemiHemi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #13
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
load range D is normally 65# of pressure
load range E can go up to 80# of pressure

I believe all wheel rims are rated to at least 80#, but only if you use metal stems instead of the stock rubber valve stems.

The debate will ensue as to how much to inflate your new tires to... 80# at load range E?

Some will argue that at 80# your trailer will get too bouncy, and some will say that going less then that will cause under-inflation issues and cause pre-mature tire failure.

Personally, 4 years ago I went from load range C to load range D... went with metal valve stems and inflate to 60# down from the max capacity of 65#. So far I have not had any issues.

As long as you are changing tires, have you checked into the Goodyear ST Endurance tire? I believe it is superior to most every other ST trailer tire brand and you have nationwide tire store coverage. I bought at at a GY owned store who gave me the best deal on them.
I upgraded to E rated tires on both my truck and my trailer. I normally run them at 70 instead of 80 it has been good.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #14

Castle Rock tires

We have a late 2019 Flagstaff. Tires could not have over 1500 miles. We went to Myrtle Beach this year. I packed the bearings and cleaned, inspected and treated the tires and wheels before we left home. 600 miles later we are at Myrtle My wife looked at the tires and said “We have a problem.” Yes we did. The tread was separated from all 4 tires. Pulled them off camper went to Discount Tire and bought all new Goodyear. Done with foreign tires.
Merwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #15

Way to go.
About a year ago I bought my daughter a small toy hauler 20’, decent, 5 years old, 3600w Onan, 4 hrs on the clock, 2000w GoPro inverter, upgraded batteries and some some solar.
Wasn’t much $12 or 14k. It had 4 almost new Castle Rocks. Towed it home no blowouts, ordered 4 new GY endurance, one letter up and new wheels so the tire wouldn’t be higher rated than the wheel. Mounted them and balanced them in the shop and put the others on CL.
I just don’t want to bother with those things when we're traveling.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
There are wheels that have ratings of 55 and other pressings as well, some of the posts are incorrect. If they aren’t marked get the part number and check with the manufacturer.
What posts are incorrect ? most wheels that have a psi rating instead of a weight rating will carry the weight of a tire of the same psi rating . so a LRD with a max of 65 psi will carry x weight and wheel with a 65 psi rating will also carry the same X weight . But you could put an LRE on the same wheel fill to 80 psi stay under the weight of X and still be good .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
What posts are incorrect ? most wheels that have a psi rating instead of a weight rating will carry the weight of a tire of the same psi rating . so a LRD with a max of 65 psi will carry x weight and wheel with a 65 psi rating will also carry the same X weight . But you could put an LRE on the same wheel fill to 80 psi stay under the weight of X and still be good .
#2 and3
Old 06-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
#2 and3
Those posts are not incorrect . the psi stamp is in correlation to the weight rating of the tire . the wheel it's self will handle more psi but must limit weight to a tire of said psi
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Those posts are not incorrect . the psi stamp is in correlation to the weight rating of the tire . the wheel it's self will handle more psi but must limit weight to a tire of said psi
What you are missing is that wheels have a psi rating also. Sometimes stamped on the wheel but not always. So a wheel part number lookup would be needed to know what that is. Just changing the stem without knowing the wheel rating is incorrect. (Post #2)
Assuming most wheels are rated to 80 psi is also incorrect. (Post # 3)
The tire load or pressure capability doesn’t improve the wheel. The O.P. was wanting to know what his wheel limitations are, not assumptions.
He could do that on his own. I don’t think assuming things is good practice.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #20

Quote:

The PSI stamp on the wheel is the weight rating for the WHEEL. It is put there by the manufacturer who has NO earthly idea what tire will be mounted on that wheel.

Aluminum wheels will, as a general rule hold whatever pressure the Valve Stem is rated for. Want to run 110 PSI because your tire is rated for it, aluminum wheels and screw on metal valve stems

Tags
pressure, tire, wheel