Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

where to place jack?

I am going to beat a horse to death about this but I see all these TT being jacked up by tire dealers with the jack being placed on the axle. I would like to know where do you place the jack? I read somewhere that it should be on the spring shackle?
p young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #2

If you have leaf springs the usual, and best place to jack, is directly under the point the spring is attached to the axle.

A minimal amount of jacking required to get tire off the ground and bending axle is a non issue.

If torsion axle, jack up be frame only.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you have leaf springs the usual, and best place to jack, is directly under the point the spring is attached to the axle.

A minimal amount of jacking required to get tire off the ground and bending axle is a non issue.

If torsion axle, jack up be frame only.
agree
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

agree
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #5

Confused

We have a Wildcat 5th wheel and I have always understood that you should only jack on the frame to lift the weight off the axles since the axles are not rated to bear the total weight of the trailer. Once the weight is taken up by the jack on the frame, a second jack can be used on the axle to raise the tire to clear for removal.
Please clarify. I recently had new tires installed by Discount Tire. That is the process that they used.

2016 FR Wildcat 327re 5th wheel
2013 Ford F350SD
Freedom2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #6

You need a giant floor jack to get the frame up high enough on mine.

I am of the opinion(and will be scorned) that jacking at the axle end(as close to the spindle as possible) with a soft or curved/cradle type jack head will not hurt anything.

Let it fly I guess...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #7

Jack

On the torsion axel tandem , use a drive-on jack. Then carry it in your trailer. On the Ultra lights, the frame is very light, put on the cross supports or on the wrong spot and you will bend something. NEVER put a floor jack on a torsion axel.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #8

Tandem torsion axle method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9BBCBCB-4C4E-431E-887F-9EA7FE9E6909.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	232880  
Old 07-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #9

Jack on axle

I park my camper at my home. I have had a 27 foot TT and currently have a 23 Foot Heritage Glen hyper-lite. In order to level my camper I have to raise the one side 4 inches and place blocks under the wheels. I use a floor jack and place it on the axle mount. I have done this more time than I care to remember but have never had a problem. In the past I also used a bottle jack under the axle but the floor jack is much better. One more thing; when raising a camper that high while it is setting on a grade you need to keep your stabilizing jacks down as well as you front main jack.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

Jack

I have a 27.5' Flagstaff V-Lite, about 7,800 lb. loaded. Given mine is heavier than most light weight trailers. Also,My wheels are only 3"s apart. I had new GY tires put on it at tire dealer w/ my drive on ramp w/ me driving it on. I told them Do Not use a floor jack on the axe or frame. It was about a hundred degrees. I felt sorry for the installer as he was doing it on the parking lot. I went to get him a Coke. He put a floor jack on the frame support behind the axel, bent it like a wet noodle. This pulled the rear frame together causing a weakness which allowed the frame to flex, moving the wheels together. After $400 worth of replacing support and realigning the frame, fixed. I had thicker metal square tubing installed. Frame repair shop showed me original support bar, 3/32" thick. He said the same thing-Use drive on ramp. He had several other trailers on the lot to be repaired, similar issues.
It makes it much easier and quicker to lube bearings a home or change a flat on the road. Eliminates carrying as much stuff.
Not saying it can not be done w/ bottle jack and jack stands carefully.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I use the Camco Trailer Aid $40 because Dexter says don't jack it up by the axles and Forest River says don't jack it up by the frame (which almost everyone does).
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

Jack

I use Anderson drive on. Doubles as front lift stand. I also use the Anderson drive on levelers, pricey but work well.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
I use the Camco Trailer Aid $40 because Dexter says don't jack it up by the axles and Forest River says don't jack it up by the frame (which almost everyone does).

I still need at least 1 layer of LEGO blocks underneath to get tire off the ground.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You need a giant floor jack to get the frame up high enough on mine.

I am of the opinion(and will be scorned) that jacking at the axle end(as close to the spindle as possible) with a soft or curved/cradle type jack head will not hurt anything.

Let it fly I guess...
If you jack under the spring mount essentially nothing changes in how the axle is loaded. Any extra weight carried by that point due to jacking it up is no different than how extra weight is transferred as driving over uneven surfaces or hitting the usual bumps on the highway.

This is actually one of the safest ways to lift a tire off the ground other than driving one tire onto a ramp if a tandem axle.

If using a piece of wood between jack head and axle be careful that the wood doesn't split easily and allow the jack to slip off the axle. Also, make sure it's perfectly centered. Best is jack head to axle with no spacer.'

I'm sure everyone has heard the warning "don't work under a vehicle supported on a hydraulic jack without having jack stands in place" but it's worth repeating.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post

It's where you jack it up by the frame that matters. Jacking up by the frame away from the axle(s) can stress the frame severely. The frame between tandem torsion axles is a reinforced area.