Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Where to place Jack Stands during wheel work.

I am planning to repack my wheel bearings and adjust my brakes.
I was curious where to place the jack stands?
I am not comfortable with just the jack holding up the axle while I'm under there snooping around.
Any suggestions?

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

i have in the past placed the jack stands in front of the front axle at the frame and then behind the rear axle at the frame, then support each axle with a small jack to prevent the springs from hanging free, it wont hurt em but makes it easy for you to adjust the work height of the hub as you go along.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #3

I use a 4x6 piece of wood to lift both axels evenly. Then I place jackstands under both axles close to the frame.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #4

if you are jacking it from the axle, put the axle stand under the axle. if you jack it up from the frame then put an axle stand close to the jack on the frame. make sure to lower the jack and put pressure on the stand while working.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoonut View Post
if you are jacking it from the axle, put the axle stand under the axle. if you jack it up from the frame then put an axle stand close to the jack on the frame. make sure to lower the jack and put pressure on the stand while working.
I don't think you would want to do that if you have torsion axles.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #6

i have torsion axles on all my trailers. they are just as strong as any other axle.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoonut View Post
i have torsion axles on all my trailers. they are just as strong as any other axle.
I agree. I have torsion axles on my Surveyor, and had them on my Trailmanor, and they are great. But I have read on several forums that if you have that type of axle, you should not jack up the trailer by the axle.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I agree. I have torsion axles on my Surveyor, and had them on my Trailmanor, and they are great. But I have read on several forums that if you have that type of axle, you should not jack up the trailer by the axle.
Then by what? The frame? Where on the frame is what I am looking for here guys. Help!

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1st question, if you're not sure about how to jack up the trailer, are you sure about doing you're brake work? As for torsion axles, there is no such thing. It a is a "torsion bar suspension" , and you don't want to jack it up by the torsion bars. You risk bending the bars and knocking the axles out of alignment. The simple answer depands on your jack. If it will go low enough to get under the axle and lift the wheel, then jack it up by the axle, one wheel at a time, and place the jack stand as close to the jack as possible, and then let the jack down to put pressure on the jack stand. Once you have one wheel suspended, then move the jack to the other axle and do the same thing. Now you have one side in the air. Make sure to loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the wheel, LOOSEN ONLY, DO NOT REMOVE. Block the wheels on the other side, front and rear. For an extra measure of safety, once you have the wheels in the air, lower the stabilizer jacks to the ground. Remember they call it "pack" bearings because there is more to it than rub some grease on them. You also need to know something about electric brakes and the things to look for, beside normal shoe wear. Theses are not car brakes, but just like car brakes, your life and mine depend on them. Hope this helps, and please make sure you know what you're doing so you don't create any problems for yourself or others.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #10

I placed a jack between the tires, lifting on the frame. Note wooden blocks under jack.

Click here

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
As for torsion axles, there is no such thing.
I have torsion axles. Two 1350 lb ALCO axles. See them at http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm

I think this is a good thread. I recall when I first started out, I couldn't get a straight answer on lifting wheels. In my experience I learned the best way is on the driveway with a floor jack and a piece of wood to lift both axles at the same time. That way, I could remove both wheels on one side at the same time. Since I have storage tires, traveling tires, and air tools, I can bust out a tire change in five minutes per side. Please use wheel chocks. The jack stands can be placed between the jack and the wheel wherever convenient. It won't hurt anything as long as you support both axles at the same time.

Also, brake work, bearings, and seals are easy to work on for the DIY'er and encourage anyone with available tools and some experience to do it. That is what this forum is supporting. Just do one wheel at a time, match parts, and never rush.

I have been refering people to the nice videos at etrailer.com:
http://www.etrailer.com/tv.aspx

They even have a newsletter!
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #12

It is safer to use this and it works great.
Attached Images

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Team

The problem with jacking up torsion type axles is that the part you can get a jack under is the tube. A thin metal tube. The danger is that the jack head concentrates tremendous force in a very small area thereby bending the tube. That's why they caution against jacking under the axle. If you employ some device to spread out the load forces it's perfectly safe to jack under the axle.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I do as Mike does in post #10. I also made up a piece of wood for the top so it distributes the weight some on the belly covering. To keep the jack from cutting into the wood, I use a piece of metal between them.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
I have also built a ramp with my Lynx Levels.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #16

[QUOTE=windrider;37586]1st question, if you're not sure about how to jack up the trailer, are you sure about doing you're brake work? QUOTE]

Just because I don't know how to jack up a rig with this type of suspension doesn't mean that I have no mechanical skills, It just means that I have never jacked up a trailer like this before. And, I am not working on the brakes, just adjusting them and then I'm going to grease the wheel bearings.

Bill

Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopuppy View Post
I have torsion axles. Two 1350 lb ALCO axles. See them at http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm

I think this is a good thread. I recall when I first started out, I couldn't get a straight answer on lifting wheels. In my experience I learned the best way is on the driveway with a floor jack and a piece of wood to lift both axles at the same time. That way, I could remove both wheels on one side at the same time. Since I have storage tires, traveling tires, and air tools, I can bust out a tire change in five minutes per side. Please use wheel chocks. The jack stands can be placed between the jack and the wheel wherever convenient. It won't hurt anything as long as you support both axles at the same time.

Also, brake work, bearings, and seals are easy to work on for the DIY'er and encourage anyone with available tools and some experience to do it. That is what this forum is supporting. Just do one wheel at a time, match parts, and never rush.

I have been refering people to the nice videos at etrailer.com:
http://www.etrailer.com/tv.aspx

They even have a newsletter!
Thanks for the reply.

Bill

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #18

I use a traileraid for lifting mine, works great. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...iler-aid/10867
SJones6335 is offline   Reply With Quote